Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 non-functional after update (PC)  (Read 3769 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 non-functional after update (PC)
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:17:56 am »

I was curious whether anyone else experienced this. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with an Adobe Tech support guy, on my computer, trying to resolve this issue. so far, no success.

I updated my 2017 last Friday but didn't attempt to run it. Yesterday, when I needed to start on a client's images and discovered that no file will open in Photoshop. doesn't matter whether it's a CR2 or TIF or JPEG or PSD. Photoshop launches, shows the usual start window, MINUS the file icons of previously opened images, and minus the buttons to create or open a file. The menu tabs work on top (I can change preferences, etc.). Basically, any menu tab you can use without an image open works. Now, if I click on File->New, that's another story. Nothing happens... except that when you go to "File" again, "new" is grayed out.

With Adobe, we uninstalled, then reinstalled Photoshop. I even restored from an earlier point (May 27) on Windows and that did nothing. I wish there was a way to go back to 2017.1.0. That worked fine. This is the bullshit about the whole CC experience. In the "old days", one could uninstall if you had updated online and it was buggy and go back to the CD or download of the released version. There seems to be no way to back with CC. I saw Lightroom has an update. I'll stay far, far away from that until this job is over.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 non-functional after update (PC)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:37:07 am »

I believe you can cycle-back with CC - I forgot the exact sequence of steps, but the last time I had to check it was doable through the Adobe updater system. There have been posts in this Forum showing the details. Perhaps do a search or call back to Adobe for guidance.

As far as the versions go - total confusion here. I have not updated to the latest version yet because these days part of their QC is being done by the early adopters who run into problems and report them. I prefer to relax and let the problems be fixed. So I'm on (OSX) 2015.5.1, which is also called 17.0.1 which is also called 20160722.r.156x64. If I remember correctly the meaning of the last identifier is the actual release date (July 22, 2016) for the version they issued to fix last year's print colour management mess-up. Anyhow, the point is that in this version as well, the application starts with a blank black screen, whereas previously that screen was filled with links to recently opened photos - and it worked erratically, so I assumed they just eliminated it. However, there are no problems opening recent files or any other files from the File menu, so if you can get yourself dialed back to that version, you should be good to go. Or just use LR.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:49:58 am »

Thanks for the thoughts, Mark. I planned on calling Adobe back to say none of the "fixes" worked, but thought I'd see if anyone else had similar issues going on. I have to agree, regarding the QC for most Adobe products. I feel going "CC", they are now compelled to rush things out the door because that was what was promised with CC -- new, faster, better updates. I was happy with the roughly 18-month product cycle with a couple of fixes in between. Now Adobe has a steady revenue stream while we are often hostages of rushed development.

I honestly hate CC and what it has actually done with other software companies. Many others have jumped on the "subscription" bandwagon. Hate it.

Anyway, my searches for older versions of PS CC have come to nothing. Maybe I'll look in my system backups and see what I have since I also backup programs, though that sometimes breaks more than it fixes.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:54:42 am »

I think you should call back to Adobe about rewinding to a previous version CC that worked. As far as I know it can be done.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:31:16 pm »

Just one data point here.  Windows 10, Lightroom / Photoshop CC.  Updated when prompted by the CC app a short while back.  No issues.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 04:01:25 pm »

For the moment, until I have time to sit on the phone with Adobe forever, I've found a great solution: Serif Affinity. I've been using it for the past few hours. Tremendous little program, especially for $40! Since I've worked with PS since 1972, a little I have to get used to, but otherwise, one of the best PS clones I've ever used. And my plugins seem to work. I'll definitely buy it as a backup, since is not the first time PS has been inoperable at an inopportune time, and it won't be the last.

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:26:37 am »

That is why I have a clean Windows image(Acronis/Macrium/Aomei/etc) made by a boot disc
https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html
without ANY Adobe stuff installed...

As you have backup/image, try to use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html
and make sure all directories with Adobe stuff are gone:

c:\ProgramData\Adobe\
c:\Program Files\Adobe\
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\
c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\
c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\
c:\Users\nemophoto\AppData\Local\Adobe\
c:\Users\nemophoto\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\
c:\Users\nemophoto\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\

With the free NirSoft RegScanner http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html
search for the words Adobe and Photoshop and delete all.

Now reboot the machine and install Adobe stuff again...
Will have to install the plug-ins/stuff again...

BTW, I also have Serif Affinity Photo.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:09:38 am by Pictus »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 07:53:44 am »

To install a previous version of PS (back to CS-6) in the Creative Cloud App, Go to Apps and scroll down to "Find additional apps" and click on the right label "All Apps". A menu will appear, then you should select the last option: "View previous versions" as shown in the following image:

Then search for Photoshop and click on the button "Install" (which should show a downward arrow) and you can select any version from CS6 to CC2017.1.1. as shown in the next image

Regards

nemophoto

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:12:39 pm »

Thanks Pictus and Frank for the help and suggestions. I'm rolling back initially to 2017 (18.0.1) using the CC app. If that doesn't work, then I'll go through all the registry tweaks suggested by Pictus and start from scratch again.

nemophoto

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »

I had to roll back my Photoshop all the way to 2015.5 (last version) to get PS to work. So strange that it did not function after the most recent update and I had to go back that far to make it work again. Well, maybe I'll incrementally update after this job and see what happens. Either way, I won't remove the working copy of 2015.5 for some time.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:07 pm »

Make sure it is 2015.5.1 - as 2015.5 was defective for colour managed printing.

nemophoto

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:58 pm »

Make sure it is 2015.5.1 - as 2015.5 was defective for colour managed printing.

Thanks! For this particular shoot, I don't need to print. The one I installed is 2015.5.1, so I should be good until I, perhaps foolishly, update.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 04:18:05 pm »

Yes, it works properly.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 07:51:31 pm »

I had to roll back my Photoshop all the way to 2015.5 (last version) to get PS to work. So strange that it did not function after the most recent update and I had to go back that far to make it work again. Well, maybe I'll incrementally update after this job and see what happens. Either way, I won't remove the working copy of 2015.5 for some time.

One possibility (It happened to me) is a conflict with the antivirus (supposing you have one) I had Comodo Internet Security and the last update made it so restrictive that any new program was sent to a staging area with no option of user choice. Even when I authorised those programs I started having issues with all Adobe applications and then with other programs as well. The applications such as LR and PS will not start, they remained as zombie processes in the task manager and I had to log out and login and it was a random thing. My computer had became virtually unusable. I finally though that it could be due to the AV, so I uninstalled it and loaded Avira AV, and everything returned back to normal

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up