Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.  (Read 10416 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 11:38:06 am »

While doing further research at Rod Klukas' website, specifically http://www.rodklukas.com/resources/Arca_Swiss-Z_Ballheads.pdf I discovered a part I hadn't been aware that Arca-Swiss makes an adapter called the  Svilt, which is used to convert any area-swiss compatible ballhead that is strong enough into a simple gamble mount

Has anyone here used an Svilt? Will I have any issues removing the flip lock clamp and replacing it with an RRS B2 clamp?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:04:41 pm by Ellis Vener »

degrub

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 11:43:57 am »

Never liked having a long lens with a lot of mass on a mount that elevates the center of mass relative to the pivot. Maybe ok for smaller though.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:09 pm »

Never liked having a long lens with a lot of mass on a mount that elevates the center of mass relative to the pivot. Maybe ok for smaller though.

My guess is that you never worked with a heavy duty monorail large format camera? No matter which tripod head you choose the mass and center of gravity was always well above the head's plot point.
I have now tried a similar arrangement made of (mostly) RRS components and have no movement issues down to at least 1 second with an EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II on a 5DS.

The head I am using is the Arca-Swiss B1 Monorail fitted with an RRS PC-LR clamp.

The RRS components are , from bottom to top
A CRD Rail (in the PC-LR clamp)
An MPR rail (in the end-clamp of the CRD)
An FAS clamp (on the MPR)
A "Lens Support Pkg, single Quick-Release" (CB-10 camera bar, CB-YS long lens support, and a Sunwayfoto DDT-53 double aligned clamp)

It works well but it is a bit of a "Rube Goldberg"  contraption, and while it has the personal benefit of me not having to buy anything else, I like the idea of having (and having to assemble/disassemble while on location) a one piece unit instead of the CRD+MPR bars.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:42:51 pm by Ellis Vener »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 01:03:28 pm »

I switched to a UniqBall about 1.5 yrs. ago and haven't looked back.  It is unique, very sturdy and light in weight.  I think it was reviewed here about a year ago.  Website:  http://www.uniqball.eu/ubh45
Check it out.

Brian, do you know if it's possible to get the uniqball with a lever-operated clamp? It seems from the site that it's not.

Jeremy

brianrybolt

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2016, 06:06:23 am »

Brian, do you know if it's possible to get the uniqball with a lever-operated clamp? It seems from the site that it's not.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
As far as I know, they don't have one.  This hasn't been a problem for me but YMMV.

Herbc

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2016, 09:25:59 am »

If you really have to have a ball head, the Arca is the one.  Had one for decades with no problem on my 8x10 and smaller cameras.  If, however, a geared head is one, I got a Sunway from Alibaba for around 400 bucks, maybe 300, I forget.  It works just as well as the $1000++ Arca D4. 
The problem with Alibaba is that it is in China, takes forever to get delivery.

Harold Clark

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 09:31:30 pm »

someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

Ellis,

I have used a Markins M10 for over 10 years, still smooth as silk. For your purposes the M20 would probably be more appropriate.

NancyP

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:49:39 am »

The Svilt doesn't seem to have good documentation. It looks like it converts the ball head to a tilt-only (and bottom pan) mode of operation, since the ball head stem is trapped in the 90 degree slot.

I like the AS Z1sp. It is strong and smooth. It ought to last "forever". When I want gimbal operation, I attach a Custom Brackets "Basic" gimbal arm. http://www.custombrackets.com/products/gimbal-series/cb-gimbal-basic.html This makes the combo operate as a side mount gimbal, using the loosened-up pan function of the ball head. The CB clamp is mounted on steel bearings, and the combo gives very smooth tracking of (bird in flight, or whatever).

dwswager

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 10:05:42 am »

someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

Other than changing size for supported mass differences or carry weight, I don't think you will find another ball head that is worth not carrying the B1.  It might not be the best at every aspect of use, but it is a pretty great package overall and you already know it.  Is there a specific problem with the B1 you are having that you are trying to solve or is this just a gear envy issue?  BTW, I love RRS, been buying from them since before they had a website and own crap loads of plates, brackets, clamps and tripods, but have never felt the need to replace my B1 with an RRS ball head.

Colorado David

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 04:23:25 pm »

I have three of the Kirk ball heads in two sizes.  One of the two large ones is semi-permanently attached to a set of Carbon Gitzo sticks and the other large one is mounted on a half-ball leveling base so I can do a quick trade out with my video heads. They've worked just fine for me.  I've used the Wimberley Side Kick for big lenses and that's worked out just fine.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 04:35:45 pm »

The Svilt doesn't seem to have good documentation. It looks like it converts the ball head to a tilt-only (and bottom pan) mode of operation, since the ball head stem is trapped in the 90 degree slot.

yes exactly: it (and the one I've rigged up with the RRS components I listed turn the heading a unidirectional tilt head. Which is not necessarily a bad thing ( it is exactly what a gimbal mount does) for you are using long lenses that have their own tripod mount.

Additionally another way I have been  using the RRS  component rig I assembled is for architectural work with shorter mount lenses I tilt the camera platform over to level the roll (angle to the horizon), lock it,  and then use the panning function of the PC-LR to set my pitch (fore/aft tilt) angle. This is also is a help with macro work as well.

It is just another way of working and I agree it is not suited for all subjects.

Theodoros

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:58 pm »

I would also recommend for one to look at the FOBA Superball Ballo/Balla before he makes any decision on the matter... My "Ballo" is 24 years old, has seen the heaviest on treatment in all shorts of environments and works like if it is in day one...

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 06:10:58 am »

I've owned two, one was a little gritty the first one was smoother.

Not that I don't believe it, but I'm amazed one broke as it feels like it's built like a tank.

IMO

BC
====================
my experience was posted here at LL in May 2012: "We had the BH-55. In the field (Nepal) while a 500mm F4 lens was mounted on it, the knob for lock-down came undone - it simply became loose and then fell out of the socket!...Fortunately one of us caught the lens before it hit the ground."

"When we returned to NYC we contacted RRS - they told us that was a known problem to them. The glue that holds the knob in place can disintegrate...or was not applied correctly in some cases."

"Given their political stance on certain issues in California and the problem we had with their equipment, we do our best to purchase from other manufacturers now."

Deborah Allen and Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

Do a google search for: Really Right Stuff Prop 8 California (the anti-gay marriage bill)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/865962@N20/discuss/72157612473243424/
=====================
The original May 2012 thread about ballheads (called, "Arca Swiss Z1 or Markins Q20") is here: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=66680.0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:24:35 am by Robert DeCandido PhD »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up