Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working from film negs stored as JPEG or Tiff files in LR or Photoshop  (Read 1547 times)

Dladymon

I am still shooting some film (primarily B&W) and importing the JPEG or Tiff files into LR.  I have read several thoughts about losing/not losing data with JPEG so, rightly or wrongly, I have moved to TIFF only.  Now I understand that you can save your tiff files as raw files in LR.  Does anyone have any experience in doing this?  Pros and cons?  Thanks!

Dal

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

I am still shooting some film (primarily B&W) and importing the JPEG or Tiff files into LR.  I have read several thoughts about losing/not losing data with JPEG so, rightly or wrongly, I have moved to TIFF only.  Now I understand that you can save your tiff files as raw files in LR.  Does anyone have any experience in doing this?  Pros and cons?  Thanks!

Dal

Scanning directly to TIFF preferably in 48-bit mode is definitely the correct approach.

Once a file is rendered as a TIFF it is no longer raw and there is no benefit to converting it to anything else. LR's editing functions work very well on TIFFs.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Dladymon

Thanks Mark!

dwswager

Scanning directly to TIFF preferably in 48-bit mode is definitely the correct approach.

Once a file is rendered as a TIFF it is no longer raw and there is no benefit to converting it to anything else. LR's editing functions work very well on TIFFs.

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up