Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?  (Read 184015 times)

hjulenissen

Re: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?
« Reply #580 on: June 27, 2016, 08:44:40 am »

I saw some comment to the effect that this camera does not do lense movements.

Is that only a comment on the current lense (system)? I would guess that other MF lenses can/could be adopted pretty much like how FF lenses are adopted to the Sony 7 series?

-h

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #581 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:39 am »

I saw some comment to the effect that this camera does not do lense movements.

Is that only a comment on the current lense (system)? I would guess that other MF lenses can/could be adopted pretty much like how FF lenses are adopted to the Sony 7 series?

-h
Only if those lenses have an integrated shutter or the camera is updated to include a fully electronic shutter.  The reason you can do it with the Sony a7 series is because the camera has a focal plane shutter and the later models also have a fully electronic shutter.

Chris1977

• Christian Nilson Photography
« Reply #582 on: June 27, 2016, 10:20:51 am »

Answer on manual focus and dof scale

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #583 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:45 am »

In regards to auto focus, this is what Hasselblad had to say:

The cameras on display at the announcement event had touch screen controls for working the menus and for making feature selections, but they didn't allow touch AF controls. 'It is still early days for this camera but when it comes to market it will have touch AF and the AF points will be spread across the screen. You will press the AF/MF button and an AF point display will appear on the screen and then you can select the point you want to use.

hjulenissen

« Reply #584 on: June 28, 2016, 02:01:45 am »

Only if those lenses have an integrated shutter or the camera is updated to include a fully electronic shutter.  The reason you can do it with the Sony a7 series is because the camera has a focal plane shutter and the later models also have a fully electronic shutter.
Aha. Would it be possible to make a shutter-adapter for SLR-type MF lenses?

-h

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #585 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:41 am »

Perhaps, but one has to understand that the market for making a phase/Leica s adapter with the Leafshutter is  a tiny one compared to making adopters for a Sony.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

mi-fu

« Reply #586 on: June 28, 2016, 09:42:06 am »

Thanks.

Good news on the DOF info, less so on the manual focus "by wire"

I thought I would be disappointed too. But after trying it on hand, the "by wire" manual focus is really damn good, probably except when adjusting by very, very minute movement.

I'm totally fine with it.

bobtrlin

« Reply #587 on: July 13, 2016, 10:28:29 pm »

Does this sound the long awaited death knell for FF?

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #588 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:22 pm »

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

peene.biber

« Reply #589 on: July 20, 2016, 11:05:52 am »

So whats a game changer? Something which Define game changer: a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way (MW) whats groundbreaking? introducing new ideas or methods MW  which is a bad definition from my view thing about breaking the ground that will be something very special.
No the camera is not from my view. So its very small like a SLR camera yes it is but: For me medium format has always been 6x6 like in my old Rollei etc. So this 50 MP Sensor is smaller but  we can not use bigger one`s. Its mirrorless yes this is fine but it uses an EVF. So in handling this camera the advantage of MF in composing the picture is gone the EVF is much bader than an optical one and the bigger back scene did not have any light shades so it will be difficult to use in the landscape. The problem with mirrorless nowadays is much better reviewed by Tom Hogan. You need new lenses, There is a real small MF market now you will need new lenses for another system? No the Zeiss Lenses are expensive but good, so why new lenses? The  Distance between lenses and the sensor may have been changed in another way. My main complain is that for me medium format is about composing the picture. Why not to choose the screen of the sensor back to preview the picture? of course you may need the change the back to a tiltable screen and protect it from external light f.e. by a motor moveable shade around the display. Why is the sensor backsceen in MF not moveable?? this back modification may also be an advantage the the normal MF series. One of the biggest advantages may be the possible integration os all camera feedbacks in the composing screen. So Hasselblad tried to minimize the size of aMF camera to a 35mm camera. But why, do we need it, no. If I will have a smaller camera than I choose a 35mm, i get also nowadays similar resolution. So my composing fun is killed by an EVF, may be - to say it hard - the hold story is, that we need to buy new lenses for marketing reasons. Also I am happy that the half dead Hasselblad manufacturer shows signs of  new life and this development is light years better than the stupid rebranding in the past Hasselblad area. So I am personally now waiting for a mirrorless Phase One some day. 

NickT

« Reply #590 on: July 20, 2016, 05:44:53 pm »

I just don't get why people want to rant at a piece of equipment that, in this case, none of them has held let alone used.
I've been a photographer for 40 years and can honestly say I have never been upset by a camera I did not own. I've been upset by a few I have owned mind.

Paul

+1

The X1D is a huge success why rail against it?

Theodoros

« Reply #591 on: July 20, 2016, 07:53:13 pm »

So whats a game changer?

A game changer is when THE GAME ...changes!

Something which Define game changer: a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way (MW) whats groundbreaking? introducing new ideas or methods MW  which is a bad definition from my view thing about breaking the ground that will be something very special.
No the camera is not from my view. So its very small like a SLR camera yes it is but: For me medium format has always been 6x6 like in my old Rollei etc. So this 50 MP Sensor is smaller but  we can not use bigger one`s. Its mirrorless yes this is fine but it uses an EVF. So in handling this camera the advantage of MF in composing the picture is gone the EVF is much bader than an optical one and the bigger back scene did not have any light shades so it will be difficult to use in the landscape. The problem with mirrorless nowadays is much better reviewed by Tom Hogan. You need new lenses, There is a real small MF market now you will need new lenses for another system? No the Zeiss Lenses are expensive but good, so why new lenses? The  Distance between lenses and the sensor may have been changed in another way. My main complain is that for me medium format is about composing the picture. Why not to choose the screen of the sensor back to preview the picture? of course you may need the change the back to a tiltable screen and protect it from external light f.e. by a motor moveable shade around the display. Why is the sensor backsceen in MF not moveable?? this back modification may also be an advantage the the normal MF series. One of the biggest advantages may be the possible integration os all camera feedbacks in the composing screen. So Hasselblad tried to minimize the size of aMF camera to a 35mm camera. But why, do we need it, no. If I will have a smaller camera than I choose a 35mm, i get also nowadays similar resolution. So my composing fun is killed by an EVF, may be - to say it hard - the hold story is, that we need to buy new lenses for marketing reasons. Also I am happy that the half dead Hasselblad manufacturer shows signs of  new life and this development is light years better than the stupid rebranding in the past Hasselblad area.

I think you was practicing too much at DPR and the "Thom Hogan this, TH that" posts... All that meaningless nonsense only to say THIS:

So I am personally now waiting for a mirrorless Phase One some day.

That would change the changed before game?  ;D ...good luck waiting!  :'(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:56:28 pm by Theodoros »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #592 on: July 20, 2016, 08:18:14 pm »

So whats a game changer? Something which Define game changer: a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way (MW) whats groundbreaking?

Overall I would say that a product is a game changer when a sufficient percentage of the target buyers agree it is a game changer.

Considering the very positive response the X1D has received from target buyers, it may be one.

I am still on the fence, haven't had the chance to play with one yet, but it sure looks interesting and is IMHO by far the most interesting move in the MF world in a long time.

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #593 on: July 21, 2016, 01:20:26 am »

It is a game changer because prior to this, there was no way one could buy medium format imaging with autofocus this portable, at any price, let alone the 4 figures it retails for.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #594 on: July 21, 2016, 01:24:58 am »

When are they shipping and are there any actual reviews like from Steve huff or the likes????

NickT

« Reply #595 on: July 22, 2016, 12:50:21 am »

When are they shipping and are there any actual reviews like from Steve huff or the likes????

https://blog.mingthein.com

landscapephoto

« Reply #596 on: July 25, 2016, 03:53:59 pm »

Any news on a cable release option?

I attended a presentation of the X1D and asked that question. The answer was that there was no cable release, but one could use an app via wi-fi instead.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #597 on: July 25, 2016, 04:54:08 pm »

I would say the WiFi app may be great!

Sony implements cable release over that "mini USB2" and that works fine, but you still need mess with cables. Having a phone app for exposures may be a great thing!

Best regards
Erik

I attended a presentation of the X1D and asked that question. The answer was that there was no cable release, but one could use an app via wi-fi instead.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:11:11 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #598 on: July 25, 2016, 06:52:49 pm »

Wish camera manufacturers leave my phone alone!  >:(

I'll pass.

landscapephoto

« Reply #599 on: July 26, 2016, 01:39:10 am »

I would say the WiFi app may be great!

Sony implements cable release over that "mini USB2" and that works fine, but you still need mess with cables. Having a phone app for exposures may be a great thing!

I have an H4D-50, a Sony RX100M3 and a Go-Pro camera.

On the H4D-50, I use a 8€ remote control. It is quite light, does not need batteries and takes very little place in the bag. It is a bit unhandy to plug it in, due to the position of the connector on the camera, but it does the job. Basically, on somewhat static subjects, I raise the mirror and use the remote to make sure there are no vibrations.

On the Sony RX100M3, I have used the built-in wifi a few times. It needs an app on the iPhone (or Android). It needs half a minute or so to connect once the camera wifi is on and then streams the camera viewfinder on the phone. There is a small delay between the button press on the phone and the actual shutter release. The distance at which the connection is lost is surprisingly small, less than 5 meters or so (so less than what would be needed for a wildlife trap, for example). The system empties the batteries quite fast on both the camera and the phone, so I need to switch it off between takes to conserve power (and then wait to reconnect, etc). Last but not least, an iPhone is surprisingly inconvenient to use outside, especially when it is raining a bit or quite cold.

On the Go-Pro camera, I use the built-in wifi to adjust settings (the camera lacks a decent built-in interface). The app, different from the one for the Sony, behaves in a similar manner. Range is much better, at least 50 meters.

On both the Sony and the Go-Pro, the app is sometimes upgraded to a new version together with the other apps on the phone. Sometimes, that also requires that the camera firmware is upgraded, which is a rather complicated process and cannot be done in the field. I had the inconvenient surprise once to find out away from home that the new app would refuse to communicate with the old firmware, so I had to do without the wifi for that session.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up