Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Slaves  (Read 2366 times)

JoeKitchen

Mini Slaves
« on: June 06, 2016, 11:18:39 am »

So recently I have been fooling around with creating moody lifestyle images and really want to emulate candle light.  The only problem is I hate working at high ISOs on my technical camera at f/8, so using real candles is not possible. 

I found these two mini slaves on B&H that look promising is simulating candle light. 

Smith-Victor Mini Slave

Morris Mini Slave

Both models are battery operated, smaller then your palm, have built in optical sensors, just like a slave, and it appears the dooms come off, allowing for gels.  The recycling time is kind of slow and there is only one power output. 

I feel I could place a half dozen of these or so throughout an image, shoot it with the models, then replace all of them with candles, capture a longer exposure and drop the candles in in post. 

Anyone ever use these?  Can you give me any advice on their performance? 

I assume they must not be that bright, but neither are candles. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Conner999

Re: Mini Slaves
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:31:18 pm »

I have the SV unit. Nice, small cheap, never really used in anger much, but no issues so far. I also collect smaller old free/cheap speedlights in yard sales, people ditching old kit, etc, for same purpose as well. Again, not used really at all yet, but the SV has proven very reliable in tests.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »

I have the SV unit. Nice, small cheap, never really used in anger much, but no issues so far. I also collect smaller old free/cheap speedlights in yard sales, people ditching old kit, etc, for same purpose as well. Again, not used really at all yet, but the SV has proven very reliable in tests.

Thanks Conner, I was hoping the SV was good enough and reliable.  For that price, I could buy a dozen to play with. 

I have to assume the recycling time has to be dependent on the quality of the batteries, which is the only thing that would make me buy the Morris instead.  Sometimes, quantity is better though. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:02 pm »

Thanks Conner, I was hoping the SV was good enough and reliable.  For that price, I could buy a dozen to play with. 

I have to assume the recycling time has to be dependent on the quality of the batteries, which is the only thing that would make me buy the Morris instead.  Sometimes, quantity is better though.

I have used them in the past. When they work , they are good but IME they die easily and without explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up