Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travelling with a Tripod (RRS 34L)  (Read 8852 times)

dwswager

Re: Travelling with a Tripod (RRS 34L)
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 12:55:34 pm »

Just to close this out from my perspective and maybe be helpful to others:  I decided to purchase a "Travel Tripod"  Selected the Sirui N-2205x in a package with the Sirui K-20x ball head.  Sirui seems to get good reviews and they are middle pack on price.  The NX series from Sirui converts to a monopod which is something I need on this trip since I will be shooting a soccer tournament as well as landscapes and nightscapes.  Bought via eBay from China since neither B&H nor Amazon has it listed.  Even the U.S. Sirui site does not list it yet.  Concerned it will get here in time...or at all.

With the legs retracted 180 degrees, it folds down to 17.1" which is a good 7" shorter than the RRS sits with just the apex and no column installed. It is also about 1.5lb lighter.  And I won't be carrying the ancient Bogen monopod.

BradSmith

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 04:09:50 pm »

For others who might be interested, I found the tripod (w/o head), IN STOCK, on the B&H site.  $299    Regarding my earlier post about why not tripods like this from Asia vs the Gitzo's and RRS's, a quick check of their roughly comparble products are in the $800-$950 price range.  Purchase 3 of these or 1 RRS.  Hmmmm
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:28:54 pm by BradSmith »

dwswager

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 05:49:46 pm »

For others who might be interested, I found the tripod (w/o head), IN STOCK, on the B&H site.  $299    Regarding my earlier post about why not tripods like this from Asia vs the Gitzo's and RRS's, a quick check of their roughly comparble products are in the $800-$950 price range.  Purchase 3 of these or 1 RRS.  Hmmmm

Unfortunately, this is a link to the TX series not the NX.  The TX has a little different stats and does not convert to a monopod.

Here is a link to The N-1205x on B&H for $409  (same price as Amazon), but they do not have the N-2205x.  They have N-2204x which is the 4 section version of the 2 series for $435.  BTW, the 4 section one is still fairly compact and you assume a little more stable when extended.

BTW, I paid $400 for the N-2205x and K-20x Ballhead ($128 on B&H) with free expedited shipping and no custom fees.  Reviews of the seller were favorable for what they are worth.  If it shows up at all, I will call it a deal.  If it shows up in any time frame that the listing promises it will end up as steal and about $200 cheaper than B&H will end up selling the package.  As pictured above, it comes with a bag that supposedly is very durable, a tripod strap, an extra small center column, a hand strap for the monopod and extra apex plate and the ballhead has an arca swiss clamp and a generic plate.

[Added 13 June,  8pm CDT]  Got an expedited shipping notice this evening.  So it supposedly shipped less than 8 hours after I ordered.

[Added 14 June, 8am CDT]  Youtube link to unboxing the Sirui N-2205x w/ K-20x ballhead.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:42:49 am by dwswager »

dwswager

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »

Received the Sirui N-2205x with K-20x ball head this evening via USPS.  It was in the original box with a heavy plastic wrapping.  All parts were included.  So the Chineese company came through.

Testing it out it seems well made and the action is smooth.  And it is itty bitty compared to my Uni-Loc and RRS 34L.  If you are looking for a travel tripod, I certainly wouldn't go any smaller (mass and tube diameters) than this one!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up