Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Major release of Photoshop CC coming soon?  (Read 22642 times)

Alex E

Re: Major release of Photoshop CC coming soon?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2016, 06:19:20 am »

Under Windows, as it seems, plugins are now moved into a different location when reinstalled. They now go to:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC" (rather than "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Plug-ins").
I reinstalled three or four of my plugins (such as ON1, Topaz, etc.), and they all went into the "Common Files\..." (rather than Photoshop's own) folder. Which is, I suppose, a good thing, since there [presumably] will be no need to reinstall plugins any more upon subsequent Photoshop updates such as this.

However, like others here, I did copy and paste manually the rest of my plugins into the usual "default" location
("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Plug-ins"), and they appear to be working fine as well.

P.S.: Just waiting on the PhotoKit Sharpener -- has anybody moved theirs successfully manually?

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2016, 07:01:12 am »

Working here...

Some plug-ins may install stuff in other directories other than the
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Plug-ins\
May have stuff in:
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Presets\Scripts\
and other places...

If the older version still there, uninstall(will remove default Adobe stuff) and
all the non Adobe stuff will be there waiting to be copied/moved to the new
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:04:32 am by Pictus »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2016, 12:47:47 pm »

The previous version of Photoshop was called Adobe Photoshop CC 2015, and the plugins would have been installed in a subfolder of that app in Applications / Program Files.

The latest update is in a folder called Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5. You just need to move the plugins into there.
I moved them over when I installed.  I don't have many, but do use FocusMagic quite a bit and it doesn't seem to load.  Also a couple of digimarc plugins are both in the ln folder but neither are available.

Not quite sure what is going on. I may have to uninstall/reinstall. 

edit: (Just installed the Nik collection, it added a folder called google into my PS CC 2015.5 folder with all of their modules inside, but none of  them are available in Photoshop.  When I click on the about plugin menu, the only plugin listed is ACR.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:00:46 pm by Wayne Fox »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:21 pm »

So I found a solution.

according to this article, plugins can be installed in one of two locations, either the plugin folder inside the PS CC 2015.5 folder (as before) or in a new location which Adobe is asking all plugin developers to support that allows plugins to remain in one location across new versions of PS. 

On a Mac that folder path is Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC

Moving my plugins to that folder solved my problem.  However they do not work if they are in the traditional plugin folder inside the application folder.

rdonson

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 01:42:48 pm »

Thanks, Wayne.  This is a a bit of a pain in the butt especially as copy/paste works for most plugins & filters.

From the Adobe link:

Here are some good general guidelines to follow with third-party plug-ins to avoid problems:

Never:

Manually drag plug-ins from a previous version of Photoshop’s plug-ins folder to your current version’s Photoshop Plug-Ins folder.

Always:

Check the plug-in manufacturer’s website for the latest version of your plug-in. Downloading an updated version will often fix plug-in issues.

Use the manufacturer’s plug-in installer to install (or re-install) their plug-ins.

Tip: In the past, 3rd-party plug-ins using their own installation mechanism weren’t automatically moved or synchronized between major Photoshop versions (such as Photoshop CC 2014 to Photoshop CC 2015 release).

For CC 2015.5, in order to minimize the need for reinstallation between major versions, we've asked developers to start installing into a shared Creative Cloud location. Please reinstall/update your 3rd party plug-ins for 2015.5 so 3rd party plug-ins are automatically loaded between major versions.

-------------------------------------------------

So.... has anyone found that their plugins now install per Adobe's recommendations?
Regards,
Ron

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »

My install doesn't see any of my plugins.  Not sure what is going on.
New "behavior" if you will, with this newer version of PS and how it handles plug-in migration. Copy the older items over, reinstall. Both will get you back in order.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kirkt

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2016, 08:10:37 pm »

See:

http://www.davidebarranca.com/2016/06/html-panel-tips-21-photoshop-cc2015-5-2016-survival-guide/

Adobe is headed toward a common plug in folder as noted in this post. Install/copy your plug ins there and they are accessible to all CC versions.

Kirk

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2016, 08:55:17 pm »

Thanks, Wayne.  This is a a bit of a pain in the butt especially as copy/paste works for most plugins & filters.

copy/paste or drag/drop to the new plugin folder works. I installed the Nik collection which placed them inside the traditional plugin folder inside the PS CC 2015.5 folder.  Photoshop didn't show them.  I moved them into the other folder  (Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC )  and they worked fine.  guessing most plugins will work that way.

The way I read the article, the traditional plugin folder should still work.  Not sure why it didn't.  (maybe it's an older article and beginning with 2015.5 the plugins have to be in the new location).

rdonson

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:19 am »

Thanks, Wayne. 

I moved my plugins/filters, including Nik,  to what would be the traditional location for 2015.5 and they worked.  I guess that in the long run the new scheme may work better but informing us about this after the fact just shows a lack of concern from Adobe.  I'm also guessing they've done a poor job of getting plugin developers onboard as I haven't noticed any communications from them about new installers.
Regards,
Ron

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 06:26:04 pm »

Under Windows, as it seems, plugins are now moved into a different location when reinstalled. They now go to:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC" (rather than "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Plug-ins").
I reinstalled three or four of my plugins (such as ON1, Topaz, etc.), and they all went into the "Common Files\..." (rather than Photoshop's own) folder. ...

P.S.: Just waiting on the PhotoKit Sharpener -- has anybody moved theirs successfully manually?

Anyone have information on how to get Photokit Sharpener installed in CC 2015.5?  I've was successful in copying/pasting my _x64.8bf Topaz files over to the new CC folder.  I next ran the pksharpener installer  (Setup.exe, version 2.07 from may 2013) and it provided a dialog box which allowed selection of "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5".  I pressed OK and got no error messages.  But, now when I run PS CC2015.5 I do get an error message:
"One or more plug-ins are currently not available on your system..."  and Photokit Sharpener does not appear in the Automate section so it appears it did not install.

Ken

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »

"One or more plug-ins are currently not available on your system..."  and Photokit Sharpener does not appear in the Automate section so it appears it did not install.
You have to reinstall it (or properly copy it). Easier to do the former for some.
If you need to get an installer, go to this URL: http://www.pixelgenius.com/downloads.html
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »

Thanks Andrew.  I downloaded the more recent pksharpener_208_installer.zip (I previously tried my existing _207 version).  The install went smoothly, activated automatically, and PK Sharpener is now working!

Ken

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 11:16:36 pm »

As I mentioned in a separate post in this subforum, there is a glitch with the new Select and Mask feature (which replaced Refine Mask) that is affecting some people, including me. That is, the Select and Mask feature is not available (greyed out) for masks that accompany adjustment layers. I have seen comments about this in a couple of Adobe forum, but can't tell how widespread the problem might be. Not an insurmountable problem, at least for some images, but makes for some extra work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up