Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape  (Read 87182 times)

professorgb

Re: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2016, 11:58:39 pm »

Goodbye, Michael.  You renewed my interest and faith in photography.

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2016, 01:07:40 am »

I just sent a quick email to Kevin, but I'll just post it here:

I met Michael through LuLa well over a decade ago. I followed his travels, watched and purchased as much as the videos as I could, and read the articles. It was the de-facto standard for real “usability” reviews, as he putted on every single one of them. I cherish in my heart the good days of the Lightroom tutorials with Jeff Schewe. I feel very sad that I won’t see any more of them, although you Kevin do a really great job filling up his shoes. I also love the way you and Jeff interact, but there was something about Michael, he was so serious and just right and proper, and Jeff in contrast such a “wildish” soul, that was really a pleasure watching them.
I remember spending countless hours watching all the tutorials on Sundays, over a few glasses of wine. My wife told me once “Are you watching the little old men again?”.

I couldn’t believe when I saw the news on DPReview, in which I’m moderator for the micro 4/3s forum.

Please Kevin, pass on my most dearest and sincere condolences and support to the family and friends of Michael, and the LuLa family. As you are committed to keeping up to Michael’s memory, I’m also committed and will continue to support LuLa as long as it exists.

Very sad day indeed.

God Speed, Michael. Go now and shoot the heavens for all eternity.

Rest in peace
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

jacquesvroom

« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2016, 01:22:48 am »

Condolences to all to whom he was helpful and important, which I suspect is a large number. Gratitude from a "civilian" to whom he seemed interesting and charming.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2016, 07:55:33 am »

I never met him but I feel his absence. Sad.

Jeremy

Ray

« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2016, 09:00:28 am »

Not only am I sad that Michael has passed away, but I'm surprised and dismayed at how ineffective modern cancer treatments appear to be. Wasn't it only 4 or 5 years ago that Michael was diagnosed with cancer, and treated?

Richowens

« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2016, 10:28:11 am »

The tears have dried but the heart is still heavy.

RIP dear friend.

Colorado David

« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2016, 10:39:09 am »

I recently produced an informational video on pancreatic cancer. There has been virtually no progress in treating pancreatic cancer in the last fifty years. Four of five people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer are dead within six months of their diagnosis. That said, there has been a lot of progress in treating other cancers and we have made tremendous progress in treating other diseases that killed people with regularity. That progress has people living longer and thus more likely to eventually have cancer. Everyone must eventually die of something. As we make progress with other disease states, cancer seems to be the one. It's my recollection that Michael was either cured or in long term remission but it returned as it often does. It is a sad state of affairs. All I can say is as a community of artists, we were blessed to have Michael and continue to be blessed to have Chris and Kevin. My father was a wonderful man and taught me well. One of the lessons he impressed on me was that people shouldn't have to wonder how we feel about them and trying to make up a lifetime of communication with someone in the last hours of their life is fruitless. Tell them how you feel. I'm sure Michael felt all of our admiration, but now we must also express our gratitude for Chris and Kevin. They have big shoes to fill and have done well. Thank you Chris and Kevin.

aragdog

« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2016, 11:39:34 am »

Normally I check this site, almost daily.  What sad news, all I can say is that his memory will be a blessing to all of us.  When he first posted that he had cancer, I told him that I was a survivor and just keep believing and you will get well.  This is so sad and all of us who were exposed to the site and his work will truly miss him.

Aynsley Cooper

« Reply #208 on: May 21, 2016, 12:03:01 pm »

Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss.
I have visited LuLa over the years, and joined it this year - I never expected anything like this.

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »

My condolences to Michael's family and friends. My family too has been affected by this terrible disease, having recently lost my father, a great artist and mentor. I am also, thankfully, a two time survivor.

Michael has left a great legacy that will live on for those who will remember his humour and knowledge which he shared freely.

Regards,
Raymond

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »

Michael was inspiration. Thank you Michael.

Boudewijn Swanenburg

Peter Mellis

« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2016, 03:47:10 pm »

I discovered LuLa around the time that I began experimenting with digital photography. This site has been enormously helpful and inspiring over the years. When I read the announcement of Michael's passing and sat down to think about it, I realized just how much LuLa and Michael's presence has been part of my photographic life, and perhaps, life in general. Early on, I had an e-mail exchange with Michael and was struck by his willingness to help a stranger that shared a similar interest. His personality, expressed through this site, showed me just how positive the Internet can be. Besides his expertise as a photographer and writer, I think that we should add educator to the list.

I am at a point in life where condolences have become too familiar an activity. When I finish writing this, I'll make a contribution to the endowment, in his memory.

alfin

« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2016, 04:20:44 pm »

I get tears in my eyes reading this message. Luminous-landscape was the first site I ever visited when I started with digital photography full time back in 2003. Michael Reichmann thought me so much in the beginning. I felt something was wrong when he didn’t participated on the website as he used to do the last few years after his illness. Rest in peace Michael, you will be remembered and loved!
Lars Mollerstrom

Harald L

« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »

What a sad message. I'm so sorry. He was my favourite source of knowledge on digital photography since 2001 and I wanted to get to know him at an Antarctica expedition after my retirement. So I have to wait for my last journey.

RIP Michael
Glad to be an amateur

bopbop

• http://www.housleyphoto.com
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2016, 05:23:44 pm »

GodSpeed to you Michael.

LuLa was the first site for one of my images to appear online in the long defunct critique section and where a few images from a 2002 workshop still survive. His critique did not pan the one from Arizona's Petrified Forest for which I am still grateful.

That Bosque Workshop December 2002 was my conversion from occasional snapshooter to photographer. Thank you Michael. Thank you Chris and the other attendees.  A week later I also received the diagnosis of cancer (prostate) whose spectre had haunted me throughout the trip.

GodSpeed

George dba Bopbop

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2016, 05:51:52 pm »

It's strange how someone you've only met on the internet can leave such a large hole in your world. I'll miss Michael's voice and photos.

Les

dreed

« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2016, 09:51:12 pm »

:'(

How does one put into words thanks for all of the story telling and information that Michael put into the articles on LuLa? I have been a reader here for well over 10 years.

The knowledge that the last has been written by him is hard to accept.

My condolences to his family and friends.
R.I.P Michael Reichmann
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:59:43 pm by dreed »

AlexG

« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2016, 10:56:29 am »

What a sad day after reading this. RIP Michael! My personal condolences to Michael's family and all the Lula team.

My days with Lula go back to the very beginning as I have all the VJ starting with number 1 (volume 1). All my learning and inspiration for photography came and continue coming mainly from this site. I always remember in one VJ - Michael and a fellow photographer (from the UK I believe) looking for something to shoot in a beach as it was not much there - and Michael repeating while walking...messy, messy, messy - and the other fellow looked at him and responded "embrace the mess". He then mentioned this quote in many occasions. I use it all the time! 

I always dream in joining one of the Antartica trips and maybe some day will happen. This would be very special for me because while I reside in the U.S., I was born and grew up in Santiago - Chile. While I know and travelled this beautiful geography, I have never gone that deep....

I hope to meet you sometime Kevin (and Chris), as we live not that far away (Avon). Keep up the good work.

I will miss Michael a lot!!

Alejandro Gonzalez 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:16:47 am by AlexG »

SteveB

« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2016, 01:05:29 pm »

I never met I Michael but had always wanted to sit and have a couple of beers with him.  His passion, intelligence, and especially his north-of-the- border wit had always shone through in his writings and videos. 

There is no doubt I'm a better and more impassioned photographer because of him. 

A toast to a teacher and friend I never met!   

TommyWeir

« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2016, 03:17:38 pm »

I'm only a newcomer to LuLa, and his voice and presentations certainly were key in making me feel right at home.  My wife came by as I was watching one of his videos.  "Hanging with the lads?", she said.  Indeed I felt I was. 

My thoughts are with his friends and family.  A big loss.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up