Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bikers Sunday  (Read 6588 times)

Rob C

Re: Bikers Sunday
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 12:12:23 pm »

Ok, Rob, let's see if the history lesson is paying off :)*

(yes, the obligatory smiley, just in case someone thought I was actually being serious by pouring porridge onto the file)

The head's cool...

;-)

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 03:46:20 pm »

But even that's not the end of it: if you took Tri X and HP3/4 and compared them, you'd discover that the Kodak film had a tighter grain distribution, whereas the Ilford offering had a more irregular, rolling look to its grain pattern. Also, where they were both rated at 400 ASA, I found that Ilford's HP3/4 had to be rated at 320 ASA if I wanted to get enough shadow detail to suit my ways.

You're right, Rob. That's why I switched to HP-4 from Tri-X. I was getting more consistent results with it and I liked the grain pattern better. Like you, I found that ASA 400 was a stretch with HP-4. I used to roll my own cartridges from hundred foot rolls.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 03:50:32 pm »

Interesting that I was always pushing the film to get more punch, and would still end up printing on grade 4...
Something about the sort of light I found myself in, I guess. especially after I started using Delta, where the grain stayed fine-ish at 560

For another take on grain, this is the result of shooting Pentax digital at ISO 25,600... different again.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 03:45:11 am »

Damned good picture, Graham, and it looks very convincingly film-like to me. (Especially the burned out highlighs, which latter points out my bleat about too much 'perfection' killing images stone dead!)

Rob
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up