Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Higher perceived DR using Absolute colorimetric when printing with DS80.  (Read 1959 times)

thierrylegros396

Hi to all,

Being very deceived after printing one of my autumn shot, I decided to print 4 10x15cm on a 20x30 sheet but each with different rendering intent.

And I'm very happy to discover that in my this case, absolute colorimetric delivers a far better result ;) ;)

So, It would be kind to allow us to have the choice between the 4 rendering intent in Lightroom, and not only perceptual or relative.

I use a DS80 printer which is limited in DR, but using Absolute colorimetric allows me to achieve more perceived DR.

Not perfect, but it works!

So, if Madmanchan or another Adobe developper see this message, please allow us to use the 4 rendering intents.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

The ONLY difference between RelCol and Absolute is mapping of paper white. Absolute was designed for proofing (make printer A simulate printer B) so that's why you don't see it in LR.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

thierrylegros396

The ONLY difference between RelCol and Absolute is mapping of paper white. Absolute was designed for proofing (make printer A simulate printer B) so that's why you don't see it in LR.

Ok, thanks.

But how can I do to achieve the same visual results  ::)

Increase luminance and contrast, or what?!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Tim Lookingbill

Ok, thanks.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

You might want to print using Absolute Colormetric on a wide range of different looking images. Since that setting as Andrew pointed out is used for Soft Proofing, I take it the Soft Proof didn't show the same match as the actual print.

If it did then you'ld be able to test this on a number of different images for consistency as opposed to just seeing from what might amount to be a fluke in the way the printer dealt with that specific render setting and image combination. If there's no consistency then you're just using a tool in the way it wasn't designed for just to make an image look better than what it did on screen.

That's not the way color management is suppose to work. See if you get the same "better" look on other images and if you do, then you have a consistent workflow. Reprofile the printer after a year's use and see if you get the same consistent "better" look printing with AbsCoL. You might not get it.

I've tried what you've done on cheap flatbed scanners and printers back when all this color matching technology was new and I never got any consistency image to image. Your situation may be different.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Can't say with authority without seeing the image and the results you desire. But it *sounds* like a contrast issue. Again, what you're seeing different here is what happens with paper white in the process of using Absolute Colorimetric RI. Usually you'll see some 'ink' (dot) on a print where it should remain paper white to simulate the other paper you're proofing. And then one would trim away the non-printable white as that affects your perception which may be what you're seeing. Go ahead and make the print using Absolute Colorimetric RI but trim the paper white that isn't being affected with this RI, how does that appear?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

thierrylegros396

I will try your suggestions as soon as I've some free time.

Thanks for your help.

Thierry
Pages: [1]   Go Up