Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Mobile and long exposures  (Read 2320 times)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
LR Mobile and long exposures
« on: September 01, 2018, 05:08:35 pm »

The latest LR Mobile update includes a couple of new features and tech previews such as long exposure. This is actually simulated by taking multiple images and then combining them (as I understand there is a hardware limitation and least on the iPhone regarding exposure time). You can select from 1 to 5 seconds and it works with DNG files too.
A cool feature is that you can take these long exposures handheld, as the processing seems to align the multiple images. The attached image is a 1.6 sec handheld, no further processing other than crop to 16:9 aspect ratio

Gavin Duley

• Gavin Duley
Re: LR Mobile and long exposures
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »

Sadly, doesn't (yet?) work with the iPhone SE :( . Oddly, it seems other apps that can do long exposures cannot save DNG files, which is a pity.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:10 am »

How do you access that feature? I have LightroomCC app on my iPhone 7. Is that rhe same thing as LR Mobile?

Gavin Duley

• Gavin Duley
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:28:23 am »

It's still an experimental feature so it seems you have to enable it by going to Settings menu -> Technology Previews:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/lightroom/help/work-with-lightroom-mobile-ios.html#lrmobile-ios-long-exposure

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:56:49 am »

Yes, it is part of the Technology previews, so it is not active by default. If you have a two lens iphone (7 Plus or above) you can also activate the "Deep map support"

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 09:29:38 am »

Got it, thanks both.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:56:24 pm »

Ok, this looks rather promising.

Did a quick test tonight. The first shot was taken with still some daylight/twilight present, the second and third about 12-13 minutes later. The first was at ISO 320, the night ones at ISO 800. The daylight one was at 1/15s, the second at 1s, and the third at 5s. For the night shots, I was leaning on a railing, but still handheld. Noise reduction is the same for all three, +10.

Looks like the new technique not only removes hand shake, but it also removes noise by averaging shots. Looks like the 5s shot has even less noise (more shots to average from?). The last comparison was done at 2:1 enlargement, the previous one at 1:1

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 07:06:51 pm »

It really looks promising. One drawback I have experienced is that it is really computing intensive (understandably) that it almost freeze the phone and sometimes you need to wait a long time to be able to take another image with the app. I whish it could store the captures and have the ability to process later.

The other unwanted side effect is that it is not particularly good with light trails since it works by taking several images with time intervals between them, so those lines are not continuous

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 10:56:07 am »

It really looks promising. One drawback I have experienced is that it is really computing intensive (understandably) that it almost freeze the phone and sometimes you need to wait a long time to be able to take another image with the app. I whish it could store the captures and have the ability to process later.

The other unwanted side effect is that it is not particularly good with light trails since it works by taking several images with time intervals between them, so those lines are not continuous

I tried it with my new iPhone Xs Max and it was very quick. It was about as quick as rendering an HDR image after I took the photo. Quite impressive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up