Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to Amazon Cloud Storage  (Read 3919 times)

outwithmycamera

Syncing to Amazon Cloud Storage
« on: May 15, 2016, 05:41:36 pm »

Recently I've started using the unlimited storage for photos i have available (via amazon prime) on the amazon cloud drive, using this as a backup to what is on my HDD. Unfortunately, there is no option to automatically sync specified folders - either you have to manually upload individual folders or pictures or you have to delete the old folder and replace in its entirety. Neither is a good approach to doing something you want to do regularly. I'm wondering if anyone is using any of the 3rd party synchronization tools that seem to offer solutions to this problem. A couple I've seen are odrive and GoodSync, I'm sure there are others. What is your experience?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Syncing to Amazon Cloud Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:51:54 am »

I have used Amazon cloud storage for a couple of years now and use NovaBackup.  It runs daily and is pretty easy to configure.  It also allows you to create a system image that can be restored in case of OS drive failure (fortunately, I've never had to use that).  I think I pay about $2.80 US a month to Amazon.

SZRitter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:22:25 pm »

I think I pay about $2.80 US a month to Amazon.

It's included in Prime now, so I am looking into using it as we just subscribed as a household to Prime.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:53 am »

I'm wondering if anyone is using any of the 3rd party synchronization tools that seem to offer solutions to this problem. A couple I've seen are odrive and GoodSync, I'm sure there are others. What is your experience?

Hi,

SyncBackPro (for Windows) is quite flexible, and can also do just Backups instead of Synchronization, at a scheduled time. The Pro version can handle Cloud synchronization.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. They also offer a SyncBackFree version.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:25:27 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

outwithmycamera

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:08:37 am »

Thanks for the responses.  What I've done at this point is to use an application called odrive.  This allows me to sync the folders of my choice to either my Amazon Cloud or Google Drive.  I am syncing my images to Amazon since photo storage is unlimited with the Prime account I maintain.  I am syncing my LR catalogs to Google drive since that is free and the catalogs are relatively small at this point - I can't sync these to Amazon since they aren't images, and I would have to pay for that additional storage (i think).  Anyway, its too bad there isn't a built in tool from Amazon to do this, but the odrive solution seems simple and the basic application is free, there is a paid version that has some features that might become interesting to me down the road but not just now.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:06:32 am »

Does Amazon allow for RAW files?  I'd be discouraged from trying it if it were only JPGs or TIFFs.  I am an Amazon Prime member.
Regards,
Ron

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 11:37:38 am »

Does Amazon allow for RAW files?  I'd be discouraged from trying it if it were only JPGs or TIFFs.  I am an Amazon Prime member.

unlimited everything is $60/year... otherwise unlimited only non raw "photos"

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 01:58:39 pm »

unlimited everything is $60/year... otherwise unlimited only non raw "photos"

That doesn't seem to be the case. I have prime membership; I don't use Amazon Cloud but just to test it, I uploaded a raw (CR2) file from my 5Ds. Amazon now shows one file in my photo storage, marked as free. The documentation could be clearer: it mentions raw files from some Canon cameras but not others (and not the 5Ds); it also doesn't mention DNGs. It may be that it just needs to be updated.

It seems that you need not be discouraged, Ron.

Jeremy

Edit: just added an old DNG, from my 5DII. Seems also not to count against allocated storage.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:12:07 pm by kikashi »

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:04:56 pm »

Thanks, Jeremy!  I'm going to give it a try.
Regards,
Ron

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 07:58:24 pm »

Thanks, Jeremy!  I'm going to give it a try.

well, you can hope that most of your raw files will be recognized

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201649930

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 02:55:05 am »

well, you can hope that most of your raw files will be recognized

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201649930

That's the page I mentioned in my post. It's clearly very out of date.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up