Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed with Argyll CMS - Not recognizing correct strip in target  (Read 2334 times)

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio

I'm trying to make my way through my first profile in Argyll, using a new ColorMunki Photo.  Up until this point it was slow going for me, as I try to wrap my head around how to create a profile within Terminal, but I thought that I had a handle on it.

I've now hit a roadblock in that the target that I created with targen, following the exact settings outlined in Lasinni's excellent blog post (http://www.lassinilightworks.com/printer-profiling-for-the-fine-art-photographer-part-2/), which created 5 11" x 17" targets, is not being correctly recognized by Argyll. 

When I scan row A in my first target, I get the following message: (Warning) Seem to have read strip pass CI rather than A!  Hit Return to use it anyway, any other key to retry, Esc or 'q' to give up.  I am definitely scanning row A, and am scanning as shown in the photo on the Lassini website from the blank end toward the letter A (although I tried both directions).

Any tips or suggestions as to what I might have done wrong?

Thanks,
Ron

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio

More specifically, here are the commands I used to generate, print and scan my targets:

targen -v2 -d2 -G -g128 -e8 -f2264 paper_printer_target_name

printtarg -v -iCM -h -T360 -p11x17 printer_paper_target_name

sudo chartread -v -H -B -T0.4 printer_paper_target_name

howardm

W/o analyzing the options to those commands, are you *sure* you're printing the targets w/o color management. 

My hunch is that color management is on and the colors it sees when reading A1 look too much like C1

You might also want to do single sheet targets till you get your workflow nailed down.

Are you on a Mac (it looks like it) ?  Use the ColorSync Utility (it has a special print mode for targets) or the flaky Adobe Color Print Utility.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS

When I scan row A in my first target, I get the following message: (Warning) Seem to have read strip pass CI rather than A!  Hit Return to use it anyway, any other key to retry, Esc or 'q' to give up.  I am definitely scanning row A, and am scanning as shown in the photo on the Lassini website from the blank end toward the letter A (although I tried both directions).
It's a warning, not an error.

If you are sure you are scanning the correct row, then continue on.

( Row recognition is a heuristic. If you didn't provide a previous or similar profile to targen, then chartread is not going to have a good color reference to recognize the strips 100% reliably. )

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio

Yes, I'm on a Mac, and I printed the targets with the Adobe Color Print Utility.  This is the first I've heard of using ColorSync Utility to print targets, but I will look into that.

I guess I may have gone to deep for my first attempt, but I was curious about the quality of the prints I could get with the ColorMunki/Argyll combo, as the profile I got from using the X-Rite software, even with additional fine tuning targets, was atrocious.

howardm

In the print dialog of Colorsync, after you've loaded the .tif, look at the bottom of the dialog and see 'Color:' pulldown menu.  The last entry is 'Print as Color Target'

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio

It's a warning, not an error.

If you are sure you are scanning the correct row, then continue on.

( Row recognition is a heuristic. If you didn't provide a previous or similar profile to targen, then chartread is not going to have a good color reference to recognize the strips 100% reliably. )
@GWGill-  I just scanned the first page of swatches, and every row said that it was wrong.  Should I just forge ahead, or is there likely something else wrong here (I am certain about the correct rows being scanned)?  Either way I will need to start over, as the cord fell out of my ColorMunki right before finishing my last row of the first page, so things went haywire in Terminal and I had to quit.  :-(

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS

@GWGill-  I just scanned the first page of swatches, and every row said that it was wrong.  Should I just forge ahead, or is there likely something else wrong here (I am certain about the correct rows being scanned)? 
There may be something wrong, but it's hard to tell without being able to look over all the details.

The best thing is to start simply and then work up as you gain confidence. So print & measure a smallish chart first, and then make a profile and check the self fit error. If it's large, then there is a problem. If it's small then you are on the right track. Constant "wrong row" errors + large self fit errors typically means a mix up of printed chart and reference file. You should probably switch off auto bi-directional strip recognition if you are getting recognition errors, and read all the strips in the normal direction (chartread -B switch).

Once you have a good small profile, feed it into targen when making a larger chart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up