Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Exposures, Dark Frames and IQ260 vs P45+  (Read 18489 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Long Exposures, Dark Frames and IQ260 vs P45+
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:40 am »

I don't understand this post. Surely, modern CCD backs have a pretty good dynamic range at base ISO? Why would it imply that using a CCD would leave the background in shadow?

Forum consensus is that one of the main distinguishing features of the new Sony backs is higher DR. Which also translates into higher *usable* ISO in practice, going from 200 to 1600 or so.

Many here have older equipment, not the latest generation CCD.

And anyway ... it's just a pretext for a debating match :)
Edmund.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

DrakeJ

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2016, 05:35:26 am »

Forum consensus is that one of the main distinguishing features of the new Sony backs is higher DR. Which also translates into higher *usable* ISO in practice, going from 200 to 1600 or so.

Many here have older equipment, not the latest generation CCD.

And anyway ... it's just a pretext for a debating match :)
Edmund.

Higher DR means you can push even more, but still, the post implies that you need to leave shadows dark. That, to me, is a bit disingenuous? Surely you must be able to push shadows quite a bit even with a CCD even from pre 2010 without losing image quality? How do you define "older equipment"?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2016, 05:37:32 am »

I don't understand this post. Surely, modern CCD backs have a pretty good dynamic range at base ISO? Why would it imply that using a CCD would leave the background in shadow?

It doesn't, for those of us who actually know how to use our equipment and software.

3 stops underexposure.

3 stops overexposure.

But hey, what do we know? Apparently, usable dynamic range did not exist before Sony CMOS sensors came along one fine day!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:40:35 am by synn »
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Christoph B.

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2016, 05:46:05 am »

But hey, what do we know? Apparently, usable dynamic range did not exist before Sony CMOS sensors came along one fine day!

Obviously CCD backs stopped working after CMOS backs were released. Duh!

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:17 am »

Excellent post, Richard, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences! I'm going to go read through your blog post now. Thanks mate!

My pleasure Bob. Good luck with the decision!

voidshatter

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2016, 08:42:02 am »

There is no "modern" CCD back as all have been or will soon be discontinued. The most recent king of the CCD backs is the IQ3 80MP and that's based on 5-year old Dalsa technology. It cannot beat a 4-year old Nikon D800E (which features a modern Sony CMOS sensor) at base ISO in terms of dynamic range. If you shoot with MFDB and want to have matching dynamic range at base ISO then you need to use the Sony CMOS backs, e.g. IQ3 100MP, IQ250 etc.

Christoph B.

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2016, 11:02:48 am »

There is no "modern" CCD back as all have been or will soon be discontinued. The most recent king of the CCD backs is the IQ3 80MP and that's based on 5-year old Dalsa technology. It cannot beat a 4-year old Nikon D800E (which features a modern Sony CMOS sensor) at base ISO in terms of dynamic range. If you shoot with MFDB and want to have matching dynamic range at base ISO then you need to use the Sony CMOS backs, e.g. IQ3 100MP, IQ250 etc.

So 4 years old with 14 stops = modern, 5 years old with 13+stops = old.

Let me guess: 60MP and 80 MP = low, 50MP and 100MP = high, right?

DrakeJ

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »

What is this, the twilight zone? In all respects dynamic range is roughly the same with D800E and the older CCD digital backs. "It cannot beat a 4-year old"... well in what way does this translate to "With a CCD you have no choice - you have to leave the background in shadow, even with flash."

Did you miss there is a shadow slider, even with a CCD digital back or something?

Christoph B.

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2016, 02:20:35 pm »

What is this, the twilight zone? In all respects dynamic range is roughly the same with D800E and the older CCD digital backs. "It cannot beat a 4-year old"... well in what way does this translate to "With a CCD you have no choice - you have to leave the background in shadow, even with flash."

Did you miss there is a shadow slider, even with a CCD digital back or something?

Well naturally you have to underexpose the image for like...4 stops, then push it in Capture One back to normal and also push the shadows. Then when it look really bad you can blame the CCD and buy a CMOS sensor back! Problem solved!  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up