Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a photo ranking website?  (Read 3102 times)

Redcrown

Looking for a photo ranking website?
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:48:16 pm »

I'm looking for a photo website where I can load about 20 images and have a private group of friends "rate" them. But I want to rate them using a numeric scale, preferably 1 to 10.

Google finds lots of places that let people "like" an image and then show a running count of the total likes. That won't work for me. I'm afraid everybody will like everything leaving me with no way to know which they like the best.

My purpose is to help select images for a contest. I can only enter 3 images, and then only 1 image per category (people, landscape, still-life, etc.). My candidates might include 3 portraits, 4 landscapes, 5 still-lifes. So I need to add up scores per category.

Anybody know of such a photo "ranking" website?

In the past I've just created a private gallery on my Smugmug site and asked people to send me e-mails with comments and scores. That kind of works, but is asking a lot from them. Would like to find a simpler "one click" solution. Plus, emphasis on private, via password or secret URL. Don't want the general public dropping in.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Looking for a photo ranking website?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:56 pm »

Dpmag.com and OutdoorPhotographer.com have reader galleries with 1-5 stars ranking.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 01:30:34 pm »

Or, you might start a "Poll" thread here on LuLa, with options for 1, 2, 3, etc.

Probably in the Critique section.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:50:31 pm »

You could create a "Private Community" on G+.  It doesn't easily lend itself to numerical grading but you can create a "critique" category of posts and ask that the respondents use a 1-10 grading scale. 

Personally, I've never found that numerical grading is all that worthwhile.  I prefer to have legitimate critiques.  A well thought out critique might suggest how to turn a 5 into a 9.  More importantly a well reasoned critique can improve your approach to photography.  Then again few people are really skilled in offering usable critiques which is why +1s and "Likes" are so popular.
Regards,
Ron

chez

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:36:35 am »

I'd personally just use my own judgement and go with images which connect the most with me rather than rely on anonymous people on the net.

Redcrown

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:54:11 pm »

Thanks everyone, appreciate the tips. I've never done a forum "poll" nor paid much attention to them. But Eric's suggestion got me thinking. More searching led me to www.polecode.com, one of several web services that conduct polls. This one simply generates HTML code that you can cut and paste into your own website or blog.

I got a test sample to work fairly well on my Smugmug site. Now I can create a custom Smugmug page with a "pollcode" voting block next to each image. Some other sites do the same, but via javascript. Smugmug won't let you add javascripts, only plain HTML.

The only problem is that pollcode automatically blocks more than one vote from the same IP. Sounds good until you ask 3 people in one household to vote (Mom, Dad, and daughter).

I've been entering this annual print contest for over 10 years and I've learned some important lessons. I have no problem picking my own top candidates. Sometimes I get detailed critiques from other photographers who have extensive experience. The problem I and my fellow photographers have is picking prints that appeal to less experienced judges.

This contest is always judged by 3 people who have a photography background. Usually it's one commercial photographer (wedding, portrait), one photo journalist, and one photography teacher (usually high school). It's a brutal job. They go through about 3,500 to 4,000 photo prints in a 3 day marathon session to pick winners in about 25 categories. So in the early rounds, each print gets only about 10 seconds of attention to be passed to the next round or rejected forever.

One lesson learned over the years: Many successful commercial photographers are good at business, maybe not so good at photography. Photo Journalists don't care at all about technical merits. For them, "right place, right time" is all that counts. Many High School photography teachers were forced into that class and have little practical experience.

When the contest results are displayed, we experienced photographers complain loudly to each other about the poor judging. "How on earth did that one win? It's got blown highlights, blocked shadows, bad white balance, and a bulls-eye composition." It's always amazing how little the judges care about such things. If the photo has emotional impact, it moves on. Perfect technique but with no interest goes in the trash bin.

By asking non-photographer friends to judge my images I get a better measure of emotional impact and interest. And a good balance against my personal bias. Several times the friends have soundly rejected my personal favorite. I entered it anyway, and it did poorly. On the other hand, friends have sometimes picked images from the bottom of my personal list. I entered those and they did well.

One year my friends unanimously picked an image that I hated. I had included it in the candidate list as kind of a joke. It was a hand held, underexposed snapshot at very high ISO. Plus, I thought it was boring. I had to do a lot of post processing to "rescue" it and thus I had a large disrespect for its technical merits. It won 1st place in its category.

We can become overly attached to our own images. Maybe because of the experience of being there. Maybe because of the effort we put into post processing. Maybe because of a personal bias for certain subjects. Example: I have no interest in birds, but look at all the BIFers out there. Some of them shoot nothing but birds. To me, it's the same shot, over and over over. 

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 09:38:15 am »

We can become overly attached to our own images. Maybe because of the experience of being there. Maybe because of the effort we put into post processing. Maybe because of a personal bias for certain subjects. Example: I have no interest in birds, but look at all the BIFers out there. Some of them shoot nothing but birds. To me, it's the same shot, over and over over.

Well said.  I think my best stuff is photos I've come back to after long periods away.  The distance is necessary for me as I'm often guilty of not wanting to "kill my babies".  The best of the best have to stand the test of printing after that.  They have to look good in my hand.  Its there I often find the small flaws that need to be corrected before I consider it "final".     
Regards,
Ron

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 11:04:00 am »

Personally I think you are wasting your time.  If you asked 10,000 people to vote do you really think you would be any more likely to win?  I don't.  Photography is so subjective.  If you can find a photographer who has won lots of competitions then by all means ask them - some people do have a knack of choosing pictures that are likely to do well.

I'm assuming your photography is of a high standard technically.  I would just enter what you love, and preferably the sort of picture that has never been seen before.  Originality is very persuasive.

Jim

chez

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:54 pm »

I guess the question you need to answer is do you want to enter the contest with images other people think are your best, or do you want to enter the contest with work you think is your best. Personally, work I'm proud of is what I always put forth...not work that I think others might like. Pretty soon you'll start shooting for someone else's vision...not yours. If your photos don't line up with what this contest is all about, look for another contest rather than change your vision.

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 12:12:16 pm »

I don't know . . . . My take would be to enter what you think is your best work and the judges be damned.  Otherwise what's the point?  You'd be pandering to the lowest common denominator just for the sake of "winning."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »

I don't know . . . . My take would be to enter what you think is your best work and the judges be damned.  Otherwise what's the point?  You'd be pandering to the lowest common denominator just for the sake of "winning."

Both images are his.

Redcrown

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 01:54:19 pm »

Thanks for the comments, some interesting philosophy here.

I've have done very well in this contest over the years (+15). In fact, I think I may be the all time leader in ribbons won. In the beginning, I entered what I thought was my best, and took the results as an indication of how good I really was. But then I slowly realized that the judges, and the judging process, did not necessarily find the "best".

I started to view the contest as a game. How can I best play the game? What are the hidden "rules", what's the best strategy? There are a lot of games in life where the best strategy is not your favorite way to play. So you either quit the game or adapt. I don't want to quit, so I adapt.

The judges of this contest are announced prior to the deadline for submissions. So I started trying to check them out, to see if I could determine their preferences. That was unfruitful. Most of the teacher and journalist judges had no presence on the internet. No websites, no photo galleries. It seems they don't take their work home.

The commercial photography judges had websites, of course, but they were just senior portraits, baby shots, and wedding portfolios. Not easy to guess their preferences. One year I did find a personal gallery for a judge. It was hundreds of insect macro shots and nothing else. The guy loved bugs.

So, assuming that the judges are not always "experts", and knowing that they have to judge in 10 second increments, I turn to friends who have similar restrictions. The images they prefer are more likely to appeal to the judges than the images I prefer. I ask them to make their picks as quick as possible, first impressions only. Over the past 4 years that has worked well.

Think of a football coach who loves the running game. Three yards and a cloud of dust is the only way the game should be played. But he has a dismal record against more modern passing teams. His fans are few and complain of boredom. He may lose his job soon. Should he quit football and find a different game to play, or should he adapt?

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:30:42 pm »

Fair enough.  You're interested in just winning a contest that may or may not have meaning with regards to the quality of the photos entered.  I like that you're gaming the game.

There are also studies floating around that the average person spends 2-4 seconds looking at a photo before proclaiming that they like it or not.  Perhaps the judges are also in that range for their votes.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up