Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advert in teh UK Guardian  (Read 10504 times)

Rob C

Re: Advert in teh UK Guardian
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 10:30:21 am »

Are you saying there's nothing new under the sun? That's true everything has been done before but not the way each of us does it - by and large. I saw the nudes discussion and I don't agree with what I think you and others were saying. Sure 'artistic' nudes in dereliction and wilderness have been done ad nauseam until suddenly you see a great one. Nudes (for example not that I'm fixated in any way, not me) in the studio - hell they've been done to death until you see Michael's levitating models which personally I find wonderfully well executed and composed etc.

I agree naming names is silly and pointless, you do what you do and if pressed indicate the shoulders you try to stand on. But that's surely no reason not to do it. Surest way not to succeed is to not try.

"Are you saying there's nothing new under the sun?"

Indeed, and doing it totally for yourself is fine.

The problem arises when you decide to put it 'out there' and seek 'critique' (another of those dreadful concepts I hate) and end up having either to accept you ain't done much or, worse, feel obliged to defend your unremarkable children. That's the main driver for having set up Without Prejudice: it gives one a tiny window box and no expectation of others offering unwanted advice. If one wants that advice, the rest of the space provides for it, as you know.

However, that different people hold different views is normal, and nothing wrong with that. I simply have mine, and as a life-long pro, perhaps draw upon a deeper well.

Rob

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 11:04:24 am »

I'm not sure about this - Geraldine is promoting herself as an artist I think, not a pro. I'm sure she needs to get commissions from individuals or grants in order to live and as such I'm sure she aspires to be a professional artist who happens to use photography as her medium.

I just wrote a whole load of crap which is below which I think brilliantly missed the point you were making about without prejudice and critique. I think we do disagree on some points, but cordially, while agreeing on others.

I know I lack the talent, the drive, the business acumen and the persona to be a pro as you were, I also lack the inclination :) I can usually earn enough for me more easily in different ways and I have the joy of producing what I do for me. I also enjoy sharing with others who generally can't understand why I'm so happy about what I have created which is fine too.

I like it when people suggest how I could improve (if that's the right word) what I have done and so I welcome critique, robust critique. Of course I'm not obliged to agree and what one says about the work of others reveals as much about yourself as exhibiting your own work. I see nothing negative in real analysis of someone else's work and making suggestions on that basis. What I find harder to accept is simple - great shot, [Insert name of famous photographer] could do no better when it's plainly not the case.

I think I have wandered away from the point and we do clearly disagree on a number of areas which is no bad thing :)

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 12:32:21 pm »

I'm not sure about this - Geraldine is promoting herself as an artist I think, not a pro. I'm sure she needs to get commissions from individuals or grants in order to live and as such I'm sure she aspires to be a professional artist who happens to use photography as her medium.

I just wrote a whole load of crap which is below which I think brilliantly missed the point you were making about without prejudice and critique. I think we do disagree on some points, but cordially, while agreeing on others.

I know I lack the talent, the drive, the business acumen and the persona to be a pro as you were, I also lack the inclination :) I can usually earn enough for me more easily in different ways and I have the joy of producing what I do for me. I also enjoy sharing with others who generally can't understand why I'm so happy about what I have created which is fine too.

I like it when people suggest how I could improve (if that's the right word) what I have done and so I welcome critique, robust critique. Of course I'm not obliged to agree and what one says about the work of others reveals as much about yourself as exhibiting your own work. I see nothing negative in real analysis of someone else's work and making suggestions on that basis. What I find harder to accept is simple - great shot, [Insert name of famous photographer] could do no better when it's plainly not the case.

I think I have wandered away from the point and we do clearly disagree on a number of areas which is no bad thing :)

Not sure if I misled you or not: the point of mentioning being a life-long pro and having a deeper well from which to draw (perhaps) is that I have had more time to dwell on the subject of photography and look at thousands of great images others have produced over the decades.

;-)

Rob

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 12:36:19 pm »

:)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up