Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo permits not required for still photography  (Read 5657 times)

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Photo permits not required for still photography
« on: May 02, 2006, 05:41:27 pm »

I'm putting this on a separate thread so it will be noticed.

I spoke with Lee Dickinson, a very nice lady who also happens to be an amateur photographer. Lee has received over 100 emails about permits since Michael ran the blurb in the What's New section of this site. She acknowledged that many rangers are misinformed about the fact that permits are generally not needed for still photography in the National Parks, regardless of commercial activity, and wants to do something about it.

She referred me to an NPS WEB PAGE that has been active for a little over three weeks.

Lee indicated to me she will make an effort to clarify the NPS policy so that it would be printable on a single page, and that it would be crystal clear in stating that still photographers do not require a permit, even if they are engaged in commercial activity. This official statement could be printed and kept in a camera bag so it can be shown to any misinformed ranger. It will in effect be the "get out of jail free" card that should end any argument.

Once this is done, she said she will contact Michael and ask him to put an announcement on LL.

I'm impressed and grateful. Not bad for a goverment official!!

John
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 05:45:27 pm by ncjohnboy »

lonna.tucker

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 01:45:41 am »

I always get a permit for commercial activity on Forest Service, BLM, and National Park lands.
In Arizona, the process is getting bogged down by a waiting period of 10 business days, which translates into 2 weeks. The waiting period begins once they receive your application filled out with your certificate of insurance.

I would be very careful of anyone who claims that you do not need a permit for commercial work. Does this person set policy?

A few years ago, a friend and commercial photographer shooting a portrait of a person near Sedona was stopped by a Forest Service Ranger. The client and photographer were taken into town where they were required to pay a fine for commercial photography without a permit.

The fee is $50 per day (Forest Service) for small crews less than 10. An insurance certificate usually adds $20 - $25. This is a small price to pay and contributes to the conservation and management of our public lands.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:22:59 pm »

A Thom Hogan comment seen over at DPreview...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=18288887

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 04:26:42 pm »

A few years ago, a friend and commercial photographer shooting a portrait of a person near Sedona was stopped by a Forest Service Ranger. The client and photographer were taken into town where they were required to pay a fine for commercial photography without a permit.

If you read the link posted, you would see that because they had a model, a permit was required.

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:59:18 pm »

A Thom Hogan comment seen over at DPreview...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=18288887
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dark, that link opens to a blank page in my Safari (v1.3.2; OSX.3.9). It opens correctly in FireFox 1.5.0.2, however.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 04:16:21 am »

Dark, that link opens to a blank page in my Safari (v1.3.2; OSX.3.9). It opens correctly in FireFox 1.5.0.2, however.
DPReview has a check that prevents against direct linking from other websites, so if you just copy the link to the browser window instead of clicking on it, it works immediately.

It also works on the second try in Safari, if you go to the location bar after reaching the blank page, and hit enter.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up