Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 100MP is the new 50  (Read 9526 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
100MP is the new 50
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »

Pentax has an option on the 100MP Sony sensor.
Hassy cannot be far behind ... or ahead.

I would assume that a Pentax body would be cheaper than the Phase One back :)

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/03/17/the-next-pentax-645-medium-format-camera-will-most-liekly-have-a-100mp-sony-sensor/

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

henrikfoto

Re: 100MP is the new 50
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »

How good is the Pentax 645z now compared to the Phase one and Hasselblad?
I saw they had some problems in the beginning, but is it now close to the other 50mp?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »

Sensor quality, yes. Iso wise even better. When it comes to lenses I'm not sure if they would handle a full frame 100Mp

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

henrikfoto

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 03:21:22 pm »

But what about the software?
Do they have something close to Capture one?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »

In a word no. LR works but C1 never will per PhaseOne.

I also agree Pentax is light on optics for 100MP. Just like they are with their latest 35mm full frame camera.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

eronald

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 04:08:46 pm »

C1 seems to be the best tethered session software around; if that is what is making money for you, then that is what you should get. But if one is looking for a hi-rez landscape camera, then the Pentax gives unbeatable value for money with eg. Irident Raw as a converter, and Lightroom for cataloging/printing. Now their body has been updated, Phase have a very solid product but they are also coming in at 3x the Pentax price and some people may prefer to get a car and a camera for the price of a camera :)

http://www.iridientdigital.com

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

RobertJ

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:05 pm »

I disagree.  The Pentax 645 system is, unfortunately, a complete FAIL.  It's an awesome camera, with an awesome sensor, with horrible lenses.  I know for sure from what I've seen that a 5DSR with an Otus will easily beat the Pentax 645, *especially* in the corners.  Pentax might have some decent lenses or two, but none that will give you edge to edge sharpness.

It's unfortunate, because I would probably own one if it wasn't for their lack of quality lenses.

henrikfoto

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:15:55 pm »

Thats interesting. And none of the other MF lenses are usable on the Pentax?

JV

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24:40 pm »

Phase have a very solid product but they are also coming in at 3x the Pentax price

The Credo comes in at 3x the Pentax price to be more specific, the Phase One branded back is much more expensive...

I disagree.  The Pentax 645 system is, unfortunately, a complete FAIL.  It's an awesome camera, with an awesome sensor, with horrible lenses.  I know for sure from what I've seen that a 5DSR with an Otus will easily beat the Pentax 645, *especially* in the corners.  Pentax might have some decent lenses or two, but none that will give you edge to edge sharpness.

It's unfortunate, because I would probably own one if it wasn't for their lack of quality lenses.

I am no sure whether I buy this...  The lenses appear to work for other longtime MF users like Michael Reichmann...

Ken R

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 08:25:52 pm »

Thats interesting. And none of the other MF lenses are usable on the Pentax?

IIRC The Pentax 645 System has the lens mount with the Longest Flange Focal Distance of all the 645 Systems. It is about 71mm while the Mamiya 645 (PhaseOne) mount is 63mm. You really can't adapt lenses from a longer mount to a shorter mount so basically with the Pentax 645 System you are limited to lenses from larger formats (Hasselblad V (6x6) and up). The Hasselblad H mount is ~62mm and the Leica S mount is just ~53mm! so it is the best for adapting lenses although its ironic since the Leica S has an amazing lens line but it is definitely a plus.

Of course with a digital back you can adapt just about any lens from any format.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:30:52 pm by Ken R »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:23:41 am »

There is a reason you see a lot of the Rolleiflex lenses adapted for the Pentax....  But it is possible.  The lens mount to film plane on the Rollei 6000 and Hy6 is over 80mm
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 04:39:36 am »

Hi,

Some lenses are good, especially at least one of the zoom lenses is good. Macro 90 is great, too, AFAIK. Question is what happen on full frame. Pentax 645 used to be adaptable to Pentax 67 which also has some good lenses.

I have seen many excellent images from Pentax 645D and 645Z, so I would say that it is probably OK, but you need to pick your lenses.

I don't think we have a 100 MP option on 24x36mm at this time, except when stitching.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 05:03:32 am »

I'm a wedding guy so corner sharpness is right down my list - but since you ask. The new 35mm is ridiculously sharp yes even at the edges. Pretty sure the 90 is as well.

Other lenses are very decent stopped down such as the 120/150mm. How they would go on a larger chip i'm not sure - but on the existing 1.3x crop they all to me work very well.

I'd back the 645 with 35mm against a 5dsr with the 28mm otus.

No doubt at all phase one has a better lens line up but to say the pentax has horrible lenses is massively exaggerated & to be honest, nonsense.

eronald

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 09:19:25 am »

Phase probably makes $15K or so profit out of EVERY 100MP system sold (10 for the dealer as fee and negotiation margin, 10  for costs, 10-20 for profit). 20K profit is probably what Pentax and their dealers gets from a large bunch of camera sales. So as long as Phase manages to convince *a few* people that their system and camera is somehow 'better', and those people or institutions have money, their boutique pricing strategy will work, and they will stay decently profitable.

Interestingly, on this forum, now the XF is out and they're all using Sony CMOS chips, all  of Phase, Hassy and Pentax seem to have mostly satisfied customers when it comes to actual image quality and camera functionality.  Few real complaints. The same goes for the Leica, although people still cannot get the shutter speeds they'd like due to low ISO.

Edmund

I'm a wedding guy so corner sharpness is right down my list - but since you ask. The new 35mm is ridiculously sharp yes even at the edges. Pretty sure the 90 is as well.

Other lenses are very decent stopped down such as the 120/150mm. How they would go on a larger chip i'm not sure - but on the existing 1.3x crop they all to me work very well.

I'd back the 645 with 35mm against a 5dsr with the 28mm otus.

No doubt at all phase one has a better lens line up but to say the pentax has horrible lenses is massively exaggerated & to be honest, nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:26:33 am by eronald »

bjanes

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 10:59:29 am »

Hi,

Some lenses are good, especially at least one of the zoom lenses is good. Macro 90 is great, too, AFAIK. Question is what happen on full frame. Pentax 645 used to be adaptable to Pentax 67 which also has some good lenses.

I have seen many excellent images from Pentax 645D and 645Z, so I would say that it is probably OK, but you need to pick your lenses.

I don't think we have a 100 MP option on 24x36mm at this time, except when stitching.

Best regards
Erik

Jim Kasson has an interesting Quiver Plot on his web site demonstrating the relative advantages in MTF 50 system resolution from increasing either the MTF of the lens or the sensor pitch. See the plot for the simulated Otus with no AA filter. The Y coordinate is the pixel pitch and the x axis is the f/stop, which can substitute for the MTF of the lens. Opening up the lens increases the MTF, which could represent the resolution of a given lens at a given aperture.

A quiver plot pointing to the left indicates a relative advantage of increasing the irresolution of the lens, while a vector pointing downward indicates the the advantage is increasing the resolution of the sensor. The full frame 100 MP sensor has a pixel pitch of 4.6 microns.

The take home message is that with existing lenses for the pentax, increasing the sensor resolution would improve the image. MTFs multiply, and the resolution is not limited to the weakest link in the system.

Bill

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 12:00:17 pm »

I'm not a landscape guy, but in my experience, the Pentax is a wonderful performer for commercial photography. I find that most MFD cameras have their share of issues, as do Dslrs (I also own Canon gear). Personally, I don't see a need for more megapixels - at least in regards to commercial advertising. I would much prefer Pentax, and every other MFD brand to extend the autofocus points across the length of the sensor.

eronald

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »

I'm not a landscape guy, but in my experience, the Pentax is a wonderful performer for commercial photography. I find that most MFD cameras have their share of issues, as do Dslrs (I also own Canon gear). Personally, I don't see a need for more megapixels - at least in regards to commercial advertising. I would much prefer Pentax, and every other MFD brand to extend the autofocus points across the length of the sensor.

The AF focus points should be all over the sensor once they go mirrorless ... I'd expect this to happen at the latest at the next round of sensors.

Edmund

eronald

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 06:42:53 am »

I think we all agree that I have more than my fair share of especially bad moods and I apologize all around if I've upset too many people with them - this time round, for a change, it looks like J is having one of his own bad mood times - I'm not in a position to get upset over that.

The Kasson quiver plot -aka vector field diagram- looks both interesting and  somehow unsatisfying; I don't know why I feel it is unsatisfying - somehow there is something else I'd rather like him to tell me but I cannot quit figure out what it is that I would like to see graphed. I think this feeling is one I often got at science conferences, when listening to presentations, and it led me to write papers of my own that illuminated other aspects of the data my colleagues were showing, but it sometimes took me a lot of time to figure out what I wanted to look at. Maybe someone else here who is smarter than me, or faster, can chime in on what they would like the graph to show?

Edmund

I've got enroald blocked because he comments though doesn't work under pressure so I have no way knowing what he says, but usual it's the same thing.

Cheaper cameras, overpriced phtogtogs, it's words from someone that doesn't produce, doesn't work in the industry.

Until he he shows work worth interesting it's just negative noise, not use.

He's smart but doesn't buy in.   Just negative spouts like he wants great artist to lose not succeed, to bring people to his level.

Sick S*&t.

He thinks he has a following but it's only based on his replies from others.   The ignore button is my friend.
IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:58:57 am by eronald »

S@W

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 10:50:14 am »

* Blaming people for posts they have written, done.
* Blaming people for posts they have written but you didn't read, done.
* Blaming people for posts they will make in the future, ongoing.

Come on guys, don't let lovers get you down  :-X

Theodoros

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 11:36:04 am »

There is a reason you see a lot of the Rolleiflex lenses adapted for the Pentax....  But it is possible.  The lens mount to film plane on the Rollei 6000 and Hy6 is over 80mm

Hi Eric... despite the flange distance, Pentax 645 is the "black ship" as far as adapters are concerned... Pentax lenses have mechanical aperture control which operates much the same as Nikkor (before the latest "E-series") lenses do, i.e. with an electronically controlled lever on the camera... This means that a possible Rollei to Pentax adapter can't be realised because the (Pentax) camera can't communicate with an electronic aperture at all (up to now)...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up