Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatorboard true to size question?  (Read 680 times)

gchappel

Gatorboard true to size question?
« on: March 12, 2016, 10:23:19 am »

I am looking for a different way to mount images for display.
I need something cleaner, no glass, no frame.  Cheaper is better as well.
No, this is not to be archival.  A year is fine.
My question is I just received 13x19" single sided self adhesive gatorboard.
I was hoping a 13x19 print would fit properly.
The gatorboard is about 1/8-3/16" narrow, and not perfectly square.  It is enough I have to trim the overhanging edge of the print.
Any experience out there?  Are these boards within specifications, or did I get a bad batch?
It is not the end of the world on the smaller prints, but will be a problem if the 24x36" boards I ordered have the same issues
Thanks for any help and insight.
Gary

biedron1

Re: Gatorboard true to size question?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:50:08 am »

All manufacturing will have some tolerance, and I would not expect foam board cutting to be a the level of precision machining of metal. Here a a quote from the customer service page at foamboardsource.com, one of any number of suppliers of gatorboard:

We strive for total precision and zero tolerance, but the nature of our equipment and the factory cuts on some of the products we cut do not allow that. We must ask for approximately +/- 1/8" tolerance on all of our cuts. Diagonal tolerance is +/- 1/8"

Just be glad the board is not 1/8" larger than your print, then you'd have to trim a sliver of gatorboard instead of a sliver of paper!

Bob

gchappel

Re: Gatorboard true to size question?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:22:24 am »

Thanks!
I did order this from foamboardsource.  I ran through customer support, but did not see that note.  Was probably staring me in the face.
I was hoping for something easy, moving forward
Thanks
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up