Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800 Faint Roller Mark (not pizza wheel marks)  (Read 27179 times)

unesco

Re: Epson P800 Faint Roller Mark (not pizza wheel marks)
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 02:18:24 am »

For me, "common" means that it is visible/"hearable" in the community of users, on forums or when you talk personally to owners, much more frequent than other issues. E.g. similar to x900 printhead clogging issue, but I belive that in this case, not that common ;-). I do not work for Epson so I do not know statistics for this issue.
When I have talked to Epson service guy he said that there was no mechanism he can tune for paper feed to minimise pizza wheel marks, similar to mark form paper intake rubber wheel - they just work properly or not.

To make things clear, I love Epson printers, I own 3 of them and have selected P800 over Pro-1000.

uimike

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 01:54:11 pm »

Mine are gone.

I was having head (not pizza wheel) marks notably in softer papers such as Canson Baryta Photographique. These were in the form of parallel an inch or so whitish marks, separated by 1 or 2 mm vertically, and running often for several inches.

Adjusting the drying time to 5, the paper thickness to 6, and platen to "wide" completely resolved it. Haven't had a single mark in 2 months.

Interesting, thicker papers such as Moab Juniper Baryta or Epson Legacy Baryta did not need a 6 paper thickness.

Still in love with my P800.

mike

JeanMarc

• Jean-Marc Turmes
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 04:49:08 am »

Jean-Marc,

I've been using a P800 for the better part of a year and have had no issues with visible roller marks on the paper. I've used quite a variety of Epson and non-Epson media in it, because I test various papers for my contributions to this website. I am therefore given to suggest that if these roller marks are quite visible, there is an issue with your unit and by the end of the process with Epson perhaps they should replace it if they come to the same conclusion. It is important for them to get this right, because they are facing two options: either the problem is generic to the model, which would be difficult for them, or there is an issue with your particular printer or how you are using it. Either way, important for you and them to get to the bottom of it. It is good that they have asked to see a sample of the problem you are having. This means they are taking you and the problem seriously, as they should - and from my experience usually do. Please keep us informed on this thread how it works out.

Mark,

Epson left me a voicemail message stating the following: The sheet of Canson Platine Fibre Rag (A3) that I sent them showed the same marks coming out of their printer. Therefore there is nothing wrong with my unit, and they will neither replace it nor look into it further - this is "normal behaviour" (!!!!) apparently... I was told that especially in dark (/black) areas of a print, these marks are indeed normal.

WOW. So this is, as you suggested, generic to the model. But Epson do not seem to care. I'm contacting my vendor, hoping they'll exchange my Epson for a Pro1000, which does not seem to have this sort of issue (at least this is what Google tells me...)

Anyways... MERRY CHRISTMAS!! ;)

Jean-Marc

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2016, 09:23:10 am »

In that case he should have told you there is something wrong with BOTH units. I just haven't seen such marks on any of the papers I've used in the SCP-800, but I had a lot of trouble with Canson Platine Fibre Rag in my 4900 - lots of clogging from paper particulates so I won't even try that paper in my P800. But I have used Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Hahn Photo Rag Baryta Epson Legacy Baryta Epson Legacy Fibre and a bunch of other papers I've tested in it and never had this experience. Perhaps there is something with that particular paper. Are you getting these marks from other papers as well? If I were you I would do some testing on several other papers and if the problem persists escalate this issue. It is indeed surprising and disconcerting that an Epson representative would tell you such defective behaviour is normal.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

uimike

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 11:50:23 am »

Talking about Canson - I just ran several sheets of the new Baryta Prestige (340gsm) through my P800, and I did get roller marks, in the darkest areas, especially at the top center of the print. Some are not that subtle.  Adjusting the paper thickness to 0.8 mm seemed to take care of it. I think Prestige is kind of pushing it in terms of what I can feed through my P800 without issues. Also, I did get some corner catching (top right when feeding), and one or two "paper skewed" errors - which I never got with the lighter (310gsm) Baryta Photographique.

Wonder if this info is relevant to the post above?

mike

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 11:56:34 am »

Talking about Canson - I just ran several sheets of the new Baryta Prestige (340gsm) through my P800, and I did get roller marks, in the darkest areas, especially at the top center of the print. Some are not that subtle.  Adjusting the paper thickness to 0.8 mm seemed to take care of it. I think Prestige is kind of pushing it in terms of what I can feed through my P800 without issues. Also, I did get some corner catching (top right when feeding), and one or two "paper skewed" errors - which I never got with the lighter (310gsm) Baryta Photographique.

Wonder if this info is relevant to the post above?

mike

I shall be testing the Canson Baryta Prestige over the coming weeks in both a P800 and a Pro-1000 and will report back whether I encounter either of the issues you mention. On the P800, which paper feed were you using and how did you set the Platen Gap?

uimike

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 12:08:28 pm »

Mark, I am very much looking forward to your review!

My settings form Canson Prestige:

Drying Time per Print Head Pass: 5
Paper Thickness: 8
Platen Gap: Wide

I found Prestige to be just a very smidgen brighter that Photographique, with very slightly more saturated blues and blue-violets. I can see that because my photography is abstract, of light shining through dichroic filters, prisms, so I do get very highly saturated non-landscapey colors.

I do like the paper, though, it feels good in the hand, and the surface is more upscale, so to say, than CIBP.

I did make a huge mistake though, and I hope others don't emulate this - I could only find 11x17 sheets, so for testing I cut say 10 sheets in half to play with the resulting 8.5 x 11.  I did use fresh x-acto blades, but still, never realized how messy it is to cut through Barium Sulphate :-)

mike

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 01:28:27 pm »

That's useful information Mike - many thanks for the details. As for cutting paper - if you will be needing to do this often I recommend a Rotatrim Mastercut II Professional model. They aren't cheap, but they operate flawlessly.

one iota

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2016, 02:07:14 pm »

In that case he should have told you there is something wrong with BOTH units. I just haven't seen such marks on any of the papers I've used in the SCP-800, but I had a lot of trouble with Canson Platine Fibre Rag in my 4900 - lots of clogging from paper particulates so I won't even try that paper in my P800. But I have used Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Hahn Photo Rag Baryta Epson Legacy Baryta Epson Legacy Fibre and a bunch of other papers I've tested in it and never had this experience. Perhaps there is something with that particular paper. Are you getting these marks from other papers as well? If I were you I would do some testing on several other papers and if the problem persists escalate this issue. It is indeed surprising and disconcerting that an Epson representative would tell you such defective behaviour is normal.

Just for the record I've been using Canson Platine Fibre Rag both in roll and cut sheet form in the SCP-800 without any problems so far....but I'll be wary.
Mahn England

uimike

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 02:20:07 pm »

Rotatrim >  tx Mark, I do have one  :)  will try and see if it gets cleaner results!

uimike

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 02:21:31 pm »

BTW, haven't been able to find Canson Prestige in 8.5 x 11 yet  ???

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 02:23:24 pm »

It is being manufactured in that size, but availability may still be limited - I'm not sure.

howardm

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 03:36:54 pm »

I haven't had issue w/ normal CIBP on a Rotatrim but the Platine, upon close examination of the cut edges, looks like shards of glass right along the edge.  It produces a fair amount of that type dust.  I usually run a gloved finger along the edge to knock them down.

Ferp

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 05:32:37 pm »

Can I return to roller marks?  I've recently discovered that my 3880 has one.  Although I've had this printer for a couple of years, I only recently discovered it because it was the first time that I'd printed borderless on 17" Canson Platine.  The one and only roller mark is on the right side of the print about 3/4" from the edge, i.e. from the edge that is furthest from the capping station as the page is printing.  So it only comes into play when printing to the full width of the printer's capability (and probably only on softer papers).  Given that it's only one roller, and that the printer is out of warranty, I wonder whether the printer would function without that roller?

The other thing I've noticed is that the roller mark seems to fade over time.  I've had one print sitting here for a week or two, and in looking at it again today, I'm sure that the mark is much less noticeable, like hardly at all.  Even when looking for it it's very hard to find for much of the length of the print.  Has anyone noticed roller marks gradually disappear?

howardm

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 06:02:39 pm »

the shaft that each wheel rides on (or  the pair of wheels) is actually a spring so that the wheels can move up/down.  check that the springs in question aren't contaminated w/ dried ink etc which could prevent the wheel from moving down.

I dont think removal of one or actually a number of the wheels will cause any functional problem (YMMV)

Yes, I've seen that the marks usually do minimize after a while.

Ferp

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2016, 08:13:35 pm »

Thanks, that's really helpful.  I just need to figure out which particular roller is causing the issue.

I did try the front feed option suggested in this thread, but ended up with a nasty paper jam as the paper I was using got caught on the way out.  I have a hunch that this is an area of difference between the 3880 and P800.  On the P800 you are supposed to use the front feed in place of the rear missing feed (although I read here somewhere that you can also use the roll feeder slot on the P800 for sheets), whereas it seems that on the 3800, the front feed must be only for thick and rigid media.  In any case the available print area is smaller when using the front feed, so it's not an option on the 3880 for borderless.  I just have to find a way to minimise the effect of that one problematic roller, or wait until the mark eventually disappears.

Majohnson

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2016, 08:01:24 am »

Unfortunately I too am one of those who has had the pizza wheel issue on my P800 and primarily with Canson Platine and Baryta papers. The Epson papers are much better but still leave marks. Seems to be a fundamental design flaw. How can you market a printer as fine art if your device leaves marks on the print? I returned my first printer for a replacement and it too produced noticeable pizza wheel marks. I eventually returned that as well and am saving up for a p6000 or p7000 :-) My understanding is that they do not use a wheel feeding mechanism so the issue should exist.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2016, 01:25:32 pm »

Unfortunately I too am one of those who has had the pizza wheel issue on my P800 and primarily with Canson Platine and Baryta papers. The Epson papers are much better but still leave marks. Seems to be a fundamental design flaw. How can you market a printer as fine art if your device leaves marks on the print? I returned my first printer for a replacement and it too produced noticeable pizza wheel marks. I eventually returned that as well and am saving up for a p6000 or p7000 :-) My understanding is that they do not use a wheel feeding mechanism so the issue should exist.

If it were a fundamental design flaw, I would expect to see it on my P800 as well. But I don't. I just ran another 13*19 through it to make a final check on this issue. I used Epson Legacy Baryta paper, fed it through the printer from the roll feed forward to the front of the Front Fine Art loading tray, let it load in the usual way and clicked Print. The driver setting was for Wide, paper thickness 4. Looking at the print from any lighting angle and in any direction, I could find no evidence of any paper transport markings of any kind. This confirms previous experience with 17*22 sheets and Letter size sheets. Therefore I am led to think that this is not a fundamental or generic defect and those owners of these printers who are experiencing this problem should have a discussion with Epson about causes and remedies.

JeanMarc

• Jean-Marc Turmes
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:50 am »

Hi guys, quick update as I just got off the phone with my dealer.

Epson refused to do ANYTHING about my issue, telling me to contact the paper manufacturer for further assistance and tips on settings.

So my dealer, who just gave me a phone call, told me that all his efforts to get Epson or anyone else in the supply chain to help me out were to no avail. BUT the dealer is going to exchange my unit for a Canon Pro-1000, which made me quite happy as this was the product I was wishing I had bought since the marks appeared.

This made my anger towards Epson turn into the conclusion that I'm simply not going to buy any Epson product ever again. Bummer!

Onto a new adventure then...

howardm

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2017, 08:02:21 am »

who is the dealer?  that's a really nice thing they did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up