Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mannequins  (Read 11546 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Mannequins
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:03:45 pm »

I took this image in January. In the meantime, it was published in Chicago's CS Magazine's March issue (Chicago Social, an edition of Modern Luxury magazines) as a double-page spread, page 32: http://www.modernluxury.com/cs/digital-edition. Hard copy of the magazine can be found in better hotels, boutiques and art galleries.

Apart from my signature (or so I hope) graphic colors, the image invokes certain mental associations (i.e., certain symbolic, metaphorical meanings), not only for me, but also for a few friends that saw it. As I do not want to preempt your own reactions, I will refrain from posting them here (if you, however, hate the "suspense," you can see it on my blog  here).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:52:54 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Mannequins
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:20:31 am »

"Caution: Metaphors ahead. Think at your own peril!"

Another winner, Slobodan. Congrats!

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:57:00 am »

another winner!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 04:35:31 am »

I'm not engaging my brain - just enjoying the wonderfully vibrant colours.  :D
Matt

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:58:36 am »

Fabulous!

Tony Jay

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:57:06 am »

A grand shot, Slobodan. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

brianrybolt

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 05:13:56 am »

Slobodan, your shot reminded me of mine which I took in Paris - 2013.

Yours is a more interesting photo but I like mine in as much as it tells a bit about Paris fashion(?)

Brian

Ray

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 06:30:06 pm »

Ridiculous!  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 06:35:52 pm »

...it tells a bit about Paris fashion(?)

Yes, Brian, a nice contrast to my shot. It is also much more real-life like, with the disorder, variety and diversity fully embraced. To expand on what I was saying in my blog, my version is striking in its uniformity, military-like line up and lack of individualism.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »

Ridiculous!  ;D

Care to elaborate?

degrub

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:07:04 pm »

Care to elaborate?

Remember the scene in the Harry Potter movie when the defense of the dark arts class was learning how to deal with boggarts by ridiculing them with the most outrageous visual image they could think of and shouting the spell "ridiculous " ?

Frank

Ray

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »

Care to elaborate?

Do you really want me to elaborate?

How about,  'absurd, farcical, silly, senseless, foolish, inane, vacuous, preposterous, childish, puerile, fatuous'. Is that sufficient elaboration?  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 06:52:47 pm »

Do you really want me to elaborate?

How about,  'absurd, farcical, silly, senseless, foolish, inane, vacuous, preposterous, childish, puerile, fatuous'. Is that sufficient elaboration?  ;D

I do.

Just not to give me a dictionary definition. My question was what "ridiculous" refers to: the image, your reaction to it, my reaction, my friend's reaction (if you read my blog)? In other words, is the image ridiculous, or what's in the image, or what I see in it?

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54:23 pm »

It instantly passes the test under which I find myself paging up to look at it again all the time, rather than reading any more commentary. "Intriguing" is a rare and admirable photographic virtue. The colours are nice too.
Ken Cameron

Ray

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 11:05:10 pm »

I do.

Just not to give me a dictionary definition. My question was what "ridiculous" refers to: the image, your reaction to it, my reaction, my friend's reaction (if you read my blog)? In other words, is the image ridiculous, or what's in the image, or what I see in it?

I don't see a distinction between 'the image', 'what's in the image' or 'what I see in the image'.

From a purely technical and objective aspect, one could describe all photographic images, without even looking at the images (except through an analysing device), as a collection of a certain number of blobs (or pixels) of different shades and color.

If one looks at an image, then what one sees exists only in one's mind. The sensation and perception of color exists only in a person's mind, and all impressions and opinions, likewise, exist only in the mind of the person expressing the opinions. Whilst others may share the same opinion and agree with a particular verbal description of the image, they are not actually seeing the same thing precisely, because every individual is different in some respect, due to genetic disposition, upbringing, education and general experiences.

Now we've cleared that up, I shall attempt to describe why I think your image is ridiculous, but first I should mention, for the benefit of the 'ad-hominem attackers', that because I think your image is ridiculous does not mean that I think you are ridiculous.

Whenever a person expresses an opinion on any topic, that opinion is always an expression in part, of the character of the person expressing the opinion. The two are inseparable.

If I were to select some images that represent my view of the foolishness of humanity, I'd include your shot of the Mannequins. Do you need more?  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:37 am »

... I shall attempt to describe why I think your image is ridiculous...

Go on, I am all ears.

Feel free to use English this time.

Ray

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 01:03:09 am »

Go on, I am all ears.

Feel free to use English this time.

English is the only language I speak, Slobodan, apart from a smattering of French, German and Thai. Do I take it you didn't understand my previous post?  ;)

BobDavid

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 01:54:53 am »

I took this image in January. In the meantime, it was published in Chicago's CS Magazine's March issue (Chicago Social, an edition of Modern Luxury magazines) as a double-page spread, page 32: http://www.modernluxury.com/cs/digital-edition. Hard copy of the magazine can be found in better hotels, boutiques and art galleries.

Apart from my signature (or so I hope) graphic colors, the image invokes certain mental associations (i.e., certain symbolic, metaphorical meanings), not only for me, but also for a few friends that saw it. As I do not want to preempt your own reactions, I will refrain from posting them here (if you, however, hate the "suspense," you can see it on my blog  here).

That's one hell of an outstanding photo.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 02:02:54 am »

... Do I take it you didn't understand my previous post?  ;)

There was something to understand there? I am still waiting for you to continue your post, after you promised to "attempt to describe why you think my image is ridiculous." Too bad you lost your train of thought somewhere between the blobs (of pixels) and genetic predisposition.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:06 am »

Inserting oneself between to such mighty protagonists is certainly rash and I may be punished or better, ignored, but it does seem to me that Ray's comment, read all the way the end, could be interpreted as paying the image a perceptive compliment.
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up