Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of the Bunch  (Read 95142 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Best of the Bunch
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2016, 04:08:14 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2016, 11:12:32 am »

Did I ever offer this link before?

Anyhow, it feels sort of topìcal, what with chatting about 'street' and all that jazz.

https://www.google.es/search?q=louis+faurer+imagines&biw=1249&bih=886&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zeNEVOnrHraLsQSe0YBI&ved=0CCAQsAQ

Rob

P.S.

Touching:

http://www.leitercatalog.com/moments-with-saul.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:39:23 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2016, 12:15:49 pm »

From French Vogue and for Grahamby:

http://ciaovogue.blogspot.com.es/2011/09/october-1970-paris-vogue.html

Some Jeanloup with Ingrid Boulting.

From UK Vogue

http://ciaovogue.blogspot.com.es/2010/09/may-1969-uk-vogue.html

Arnaud de Rosnay (since lost at sea on a too ambitious solo windsurfing trip that went wrong...) in the Bahamas with a mirror optic, possibly the best such shot I've yet see. Double-page spread, symphony in blue. Without girls (and clothes) like that, there's hardly any point in pointing a camera at one, as I know only too well.

For those who know him only from the Emmanuelle movie, Just Jaeckin was big in fashion photography long before that...

Looking back makes me wonder how digital gurus can claim to have brought much to that particular table.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:45:47 am by Rob C »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 09:06:45 am »

Thanks Rob, enjoyed the (text) vignettes of Saul Leiter. And the photo of the extremely ordered piles of disordered stuff in his appartment :)

Rob C

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:43 am »

Thanks Rob, enjoyed the (text) vignettes of Saul Leiter. And the photo of the extremely ordered piles of disordered stuff in his appartment :)

My 'office' also boasts piles of stuff, but they are neither ordered (though I still know where everything is) and I'm afraid they don't really amount to very much at the moment. However, one day after I'm gone, I might be worth quite a lot! Which thought makes me feel so much better. Is that a demonstration of the power of positive thinking?

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 01:10:53 pm »

My 'office' also boasts piles of stuff, but they are neither ordered (though I still know where everything is) and I'm afraid they don't really amount to very much at the moment. However, one day after I'm gone, I might be worth quite a lot! Which thought makes me feel so much better. Is that a demonstration of the power of positive thinking?

Rob

Every artist's justification for keeping it all...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »

Peter

But it's also borne out by life: every time I dump something, I can guarantee you that within a fortnight I realise it is exactly the very thing I need to make/adapt something else. I can't convince myself that old envelopes are any different; come to think of it, I often use them as notes that I stick to the back of the door so that I remember whatever on the way out. And I do remember. Trouble is, when finally I'm out, I often forget all over again.

;-(

Rob

RSL

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2016, 05:13:45 pm »

You guys should live in the Colorado high country. In your back yard you could keep every defunct vehicle you've ever owned, all the refrigerators that finally gave up the ghost, all the plumbing that's rusted through and become useless, and everything else that's stopped working and been replaced. I'll have to hunt for my picture of a sign in front of a farmhouse that looked almost like the junk in its yard: "Stuff for sale."

Rob C

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2016, 05:23:44 pm »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2016, 12:37:46 pm »

You guys should live in the Colorado high country. In your back yard you could keep every defunct vehicle you've ever owned, all the refrigerators that finally gave up the ghost, all the plumbing that's rusted through and become useless, and everything else that's stopped working and been replaced. I'll have to hunt for my picture of a sign in front of a farmhouse that looked almost like the junk in its yard: "Stuff for sale."

Ha ha, yes there's a bit of that up here but I have found New Mexico has even more. And often including an old school bus, possibly with someone living in it!
-MattB

RSL

« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »

That would make it even more valuable, Matt.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »

... and mechanic, welder, machinist, electronics constructor. And when you do all of the above...  ;D

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2016, 05:20:49 am »

Pretty much any farm house in the Australian "bush" will be competitive as far as historic vehicles (see attached) and defunct white goods are concerned. Also mysterious (to me) pieces of farm machinery, totally covered in rust. I don't think I have ever seen anyone with the chutzpah to advertise their junk for sale.
Ken Cameron

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2016, 05:44:07 am »

Pretty much any farm house in the Australian "bush" will be competitive as far as historic vehicles

I was thinking the same :-)

One of my friends did advertise two enormous balls of old rusty barbed wire as a contemporary art piece available for delivery to Fitzroy, Brunswick or St Kilda...  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2016, 06:21:12 am »

I was thinking the same :-)

One of my friends did advertise two enormous balls of old rusty barbed wire as a contemporary art piece available for delivery to Fitzroy, Brunswick or St Kilda...  ;)

That's clever; did he sell? Does Saatchi know?

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2016, 07:38:31 am »

That's clever; did he sell? Does Saatchi know?

Rob

The Whitney would bite at the rust ball...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2016, 10:18:42 am »

The Whitney would bite at the rust ball...

Peter

Let's not forget the Tate: they used to be into piles of bricks. I can't remember which establishment was into elephant turds, but as per the old British saying: where's there muck there's brass...

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2016, 07:48:22 am »

I think they are still maturing in his home paddock. He may be waiting for the market to come up a bit.

That reminds me though : in his day job, he's a contractor who ploughs fields, harvests wheat etc. It turns out the machines are now driven by pre-programmed GPS units, so they move along perfectly parallel paths over several kms. The accuracy is such that the furrows all align.

In principle program any path you wish into the GPS... so if you'd like to realise a very large drawing in the Western Districts of Victoria...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:53:43 am by GrahamBy »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2016, 09:57:29 pm »

It is either David Sedaris or Garrison Keillor who has a story about an antique shop/gallery selling used farm machinery for home decoration that kept getting one item returned - a "muck spreader" that despite frequent steam cleaning still gave off a faint but unmistakable aroma of its former life when summer temperatures rose.
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2016, 04:58:08 pm »

Found this - some interesting stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTLG73pE_c
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up