Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom preview performance mini-rant  (Read 9423 times)

Osprey

Re: Lightroom preview performance mini-rant
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 03:56:57 am »

Sounds like a nice setup.  What size monitor do you have and how big are your files?  How about run-on, where if you hold down the forward key, the previews keep on paging after you lift the key.  Try moving through images on a media card while in the import module.  This is pretty basic stuff that almost every image viewer does with ease on quite moderately powered machines.

24 inch monitor, 14 mb files or so.  And there certainly is run-on to beat the band. Haven't imported anything recently, will try it.

What I can say is the speed to sharpness of my preview image as I move through the filmstrip, even in directories I haven't been in recently, is now much faster than it was on my 7 year old Core i7, so it is somewhat tough for me commenting on the differences between modern computers. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:56:12 am by Osprey »

Rory

• Recent images
Re: Lightroom preview performance mini-rant
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 10:27:21 pm »

One thing I can see is why Adobe chose a pyramid scheme with different preview sizes in the library.  When I select a folder with 2880x1800 px jpegs my program really flies at about 30 images per second.  However, when I pick 7360x4912 NEF files I'm lucky to get 8-10 frames per second and I run out of cache pretty quickly.  As they say, size matters.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up