Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: M4/3 Noise  (Read 22425 times)

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
Re: M4/3 Noise
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2016, 12:51:15 pm »

if you are talking about __IBIS__ then Panasonic only recently ventured into that area...  try something form Olympus.

For those who may not be familiar with the Panasonic GX8, it supports dual image stabilization (IBIS and lens IS) with supported lenses. Works quite well.

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2016, 07:45:33 pm »

I will certainly try &  test. I cant find EFCS in my GX7 menu.
So, if I understand correctly, avoiding that 'shutter shock' range of shutter speeds in Mechanical mode is a toss up vs the loss of data 'bits' using the Electronic shutter ? What are experienced GX7 users opting for?
There is no loss of bit depth with the GX7 on electronic shutter. And it has no EFCS, it has electronic shutter. Some Olympus bodies have EFCS.

Are you saying that you are getting objectionable noise because you use aggressive sharpening to deal with perceived softness?
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

the_marshall_101

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2016, 10:00:40 am »

I love my Panasonic GX7 (touchscreen, silent, flip screen & vf, menus etc)  but am stumped by m4/3 noise (& puny image stabilisation). Is noise better on any other m4/3 camera? Other wise I have to sell up kit (20mm, 43mm & oly 75mm) & return to a larger sensor boo hoo

I thought I should clear up a few things after receiving a pm - Most people would Not find the noise very objectionable. I want to almost double the pixel dimension (ACR up-sizing) to enable good 15x20 prints. So even tiny under exposure or lifting of shadows results in noise. Which can of course be treated with the Noise reduction slider but at a softening / mushy price. I come from a full frame background so am after the smoothest most noiseless possible results
I shoot mostly 400 iso and sometimes 200 or 800. Never more than 1600.

Just a thought but what apertures are you using in your shots?  Don't forget that M43 depth of field at f8 is equivalent to f16 on full frame.  I hardly go above f5.6-6.3 (landscape work) on my M43 system and I'm happy with the results compared to my full frame camera.  I see lots of people going around using f8-f11 on M43 for no good reason - you're just cutting out lots and lots of perfectly usable light which will result in significantly more noise.

If this doesn't apply then no worries :)

nma

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2016, 01:51:32 pm »

Just a thought but what apertures are you using in your shots?  Don't forget that M43 depth of field at f8 is equivalent to f16 on full frame.  I hardly go above f5.6-6.3 (landscape work) on my M43 system and I'm happy with the results compared to my full frame camera.  I see lots of people going around using f8-f11 on M43 for no good reason - you're just cutting out lots and lots of perfectly usable light which will result in significantly more noise.

If this doesn't apply then no worries :)

I certainly agree with you about the depth of field differences, meaning it is wise not to stray above 5.6 for sharp images. However, the idea that using a higher f number will automatically result in higher noise is incorrect. Assuming that you have decreased your shutter speed (longer exposure) accordingly, the number of photons recorded and hence the noise level will be the same.

the_marshall_101

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »

I certainly agree with you about the depth of field differences, meaning it is wise not to stray above 5.6 for sharp images. However, the idea that using a higher f number will automatically result in higher noise is incorrect. Assuming that you have decreased your shutter speed (longer exposure) accordingly, the number of photons recorded and hence the noise level will be the same.

You are correct - I made the assumption that the OP was concerned with high noise levels, usually experienced in lower light conditions, where the camera may decide it's run out of shutter speed and decided to ramp the ISO instead.  On a tripod or in good light then you're right, shutter speed would compensate for this and light levels would be the same.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up