Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D-40 price?  (Read 10314 times)

Theodoros

Re: Hasselblad H4D-40 price?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 01:54:34 pm »

Mind you that the Nikkor 24mm f3.5 should be FAN-TA-STIC on both a 33x44mm sensor as well as on the Leica S... Additionally note that the lens performance is highly improved (further) than what its  edge performance suggests when its shifted on a Nikon FF body (vignetting is highly reduced too) because the Contax mount is much wider and thus doesn't interfere at all with the lens optics as it happens when the Nikkor is shifted on its original frame,  where a big part (more than 35%) of the rear element is "blocked" behind the Nikon frame itself.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:04:18 pm by Theodoros »

landscapephoto

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 03:14:59 pm »

Mind you that the Nikkor 24mm f3.5 should be FAN-TA-STIC on both a 33x44mm sensor as well as on the Leica S...

Doesn't Leica produce a 24mm in S mount?

Theodoros

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 03:35:19 pm »

Doesn't Leica produce a 24mm in S mount?

Yes they do... at about 8K price... The Nikkor after the conversion is extremely sharp (especially if the Leica image circle is considered) and buying a S/H one and sent it for conversion should cost about 1/4th of that... I guess it all depends on how much use one would have in mind, but I'm sure the Nikkor would cope very well indeed even with the most demanding of a pro task on the Leica S body... As I also think the rest of the Contax lenses would (maybe even better with the Nikkor than the rest of the Contax glass). Honest, the Nikkor is a very sharp lens, to the extend that I doubt one would ever consider looking for sharper than that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:00:54 pm by Theodoros »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:22 am »

Here is an UK price list. I'm not sure of warranties on this one.
http://procentre.co.uk/sales-secondhand-medium-format-digital.php

Edmund

Edmund, the Uk website mentions a H5D40 in the list of H4s. Is that a typo?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 09:45:24 am »

Edmund, the Uk website mentions a H5D40 in the list of H4s. Is that a typo?

Send them an email ...
There are some for sale on the german site too.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Chris Livsey

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 09:51:27 am »

H5D40 was/is £6795 ex Tax in July Hasselblad UK price List
http://www.procentre.co.uk/pricelists/hasselblad_pricelist_jul2015_v1.pdf

eronald

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:15 am »

H5D40 was/is £6795 ex Tax in July Hasselblad UK price List
http://www.procentre.co.uk/pricelists/hasselblad_pricelist_jul2015_v1.pdf

used H5D price in germany is 6K euro, INCLUDING tax, 7K refurb with warranty, 8K with 80mm.
tax is around 20%. I find it a bit steep, still, as they are competing with the Sony.

IMHO the H4D40 and older models are the ones which have an interesting pricepoint. There are zillions of 39s and 31s out there.

we could have a nice fluid buy/sell community here once the used market really heats up.

http://shop.fotopartner.de/epages/Fotopartner.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Fotopartner/Categories/Gebrauchtartikel/Hasselblad#.Vssrb6-kqh8
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Ken R

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 11:08:33 am »

I just got an offer to buy a used Hasselblad H4D-40 camera (without lens)
what should this cost? The camera is almost not used and has only 1.500
clicks on the body/back... Any ideas?

Thanks!

See prices here: http://hasselbladbron.com/cpo/

torger

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 02:09:02 am »

we could have a nice fluid buy/sell community here once the used market really heats up.

I'm not sure it would heat up, I guess the main reasons these systems are cheap is because few wants them. With the V system there's nostalgia like a classic car, the H and M systems don't really have that.

I once believed that the user group which looked at the absolute end result rather than the feature set compared to the most recent products in the market was a significant group, but I no longer think that is the case. Either you have the latest MFD gear, or you don't have it at all, that seems to be the common case.

Many say that you can do with simpler MFD gear, but most of those that say that have the latest stuff anyway.

KellyHicks

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:12 am »

The used hasselblad pricing is not too bad, considering. Just how bad is the lcd resolution for the H4 series? Is it pretty much useless without being tethered?

Joe Towner

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 11:41:33 am »

The used hasselblad pricing is not too bad, considering. Just how bad is the lcd resolution for the H4 series? Is it pretty much useless without being tethered?

It works pretty well, though not to the quality on the Phase/Pentax screens.  You'll know if you got focus or not, but when dealing with a high paying clients & model, I'd be tethered under all circumstances anyway, just to confirm what I see.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

eronald

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 03:47:14 pm »

I'm not sure it would heat up, I guess the main reasons these systems are cheap is because few wants them. With the V system there's nostalgia like a classic car, the H and M systems don't really have that.

I once believed that the user group which looked at the absolute end result rather than the feature set compared to the most recent products in the market was a significant group, but I no longer think that is the case. Either you have the latest MFD gear, or you don't have it at all, that seems to be the common case.

Many say that you can do with simpler MFD gear, but most of those that say that have the latest stuff anyway.

I agree with your observations. With the caveat that I do believe that most of the guys who say one can use the older gear are telling the truth as they see it; their use of the newer gear they admit as an indulgence rather than a necessity.

Also,as regards absolute quality rather than feature set, I agree with Cooter's observation of a long time ago, that some camera are "sweeter" than others; if you share this point of view, the issue is locating the good ones on the used market that have the minimal necessary feature set and shoot sweet. My impression from shots I have seen is that for Hassy the nice ones with both good color and good focus that are coming on the used market are the the H4D40 which somehow looks good, and the H4D60 which has got good color for landscape.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:06:56 pm by eronald »

landscapephoto

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 03:56:19 pm »

I suspect that your statistics comes from people reporting on the Internet. What you don't see then is that there are lots of product photographers with relatively ancient MF systems. They like the tethered shooting capabilities and the lenses but do not need the latest resolution. They don't post on forums.

My impression from shots I have seen is that for Hassy the nice ones with both good color and good focus that are coming on the used market are the H4D40 which somehow looks good, and the H4D60 which has got good color for landscape.

The colors between any two Hasselblad H cameras are quite similar, as a customer one is actually paying for that feature. I doubt that the H4D60 has colors different from the other backs. The lenses are also color matched.

eronald

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:34 pm »

I suspect that your statistics comes from people reporting on the Internet. What you don't see then is that there are lots of product photographers with relatively ancient MF systems. They like the tethered shooting capabilities and the lenses but do not need the latest resolution. They don't post on forums.

The colors between any two Hasselblad H cameras are quite similar, as a customer one is actually paying for that feature. I doubt that the H4D60 has colors different from the other backs. The lenses are also color matched.

Yes, this is a topic where the opinions of some very able people don't quite match.

In any case the 40 has microlenses, I believe, while the 50 does not ===> one stop ISO gain.

Edmund

torger

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 02:29:19 am »

Yes, that is true. It's hard to get the full view. On the other hand it seems to me that this user group is those that bought the systems a long time ago from a dealer at a high price, and what they would do next if they upgrade is to buy the latest and then have that for many years. The second hand market seems to be for enthusiasts rather than professionals, or am I wrong? It would be nice to have some real stats to see where the sales go...

torger

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 02:44:07 am »

I think Hasselblad's color is under-rated and Phase One's color is over-rated. Although Phocus is ancient in feel, it makes very good color combined with the cameras, more natural than Phase One and still with a pleasing subtle subjective tone.

I still make my own color profiles using DCamProf and prefer that, but my design has been inspired by Hasselblad.

I haven't seen how the H4D-60 renders, it would be interesting as it's a Dalsa sensor which has much different color filters compared to Kodak. You can make them look very similar through profiles still, but it will not be effortless. My H4D-50 has a Kodak and its color filters are designed for saturated subjective color so it's quite difficult to work with if you want to make natural colors, while the Dalsa is more neutral. Still I prefer the color Hasselblad pulls out of a Kodak than Phase One pulls out of a Dalsa. I would prefer to have the color filters of the Dalsa, but the tech cam compatibility is so much better with the Kodak so it weighs over for me.

(The 50MP Hasselblad's with Kodak sensors existed over many years almost totally ignored by the tech cam community despite that they were the best for wides, and now it's too late :-/ )

torger

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 03:54:10 am »

I use it for landscape photography on a view camera with ground glass focusing, so it's nice to be able to make a focus check. The screen is good enough for that, but it's not exactly great. The demosaicer is fine, brightness and contrast too, but problem is that pixels on the screen are not square and there is no USM sharpening, both which are required to make it really easy to evaluate sharpness precisely. It's also a bit slow, not as slow as my old Aptus was, but certainly not as fast as a modern DSLR. I do think it reaches the good enough level though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up