Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you Teach Creativity?  (Read 31996 times)

Ray

Re: Can you Teach Creativity?
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2016, 05:26:05 am »

I batteried everything up, fitted one transceiver to the camera and the other to the jack plug socket of my monobloc and nothing happened. Yes! End of euphoria, made even worse by realising that there seems no solution in the form of a simple cable that will allow me to fit those Wizards even to the other unit, a Metz 60 CT 1/2.

So yes, mood swings are for real, and rather than signs of mental disorder perhaps more correctly seen as signs of rapid appreciation of changing circumstances.

Rob C

Crikey! Rob. How could you allow such a trivial thing to affect your sense of euphoria? Sounds like you need to read a bit on Buddhism and get your priorities right.  ;)

With the right attitude you could have enhanced your euphoria and had a good laugh at the absurd complexities of modern appliances.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:41 am »

Crikey! Rob. How could you allow such a trivial thing to affect your sense of euphoria? Sounds like you need to read a bit on Buddhism and get your priorities right.  ;)

With the right attitude you could have enhanced your euphoria and had a good laugh at the absurd complexities of modern appliances.  ;D

Ray,

Don't tell me about the Buddha: we lived in India, remember, and my mother was an avoid reader and seeker after knowledge, and, consequently, had a lot of Christmas Humphreys hangin' aboot the hoos, as she did of lives of artists. (Maybe she was more to blame for what became of me than my Vogue-collecting aunt!) Further, as I am already reduced to being somewhat of a sedentary creature due to circumstances slightly beyond my control (read Internet, not to mention cardio-vascular adventures), emulating the teachings of the wise one, were I indeed seduced into following his way, would turn me into an even more sedentary person, but of amplified girth - see The Man himself.

But as surely as the blues follow the highs (unless you argue the valid point that the blues can also be highs) my Wizard misfortune might have blossomed into yet another bout of euphoric glee: rummaging in my box of old flash accessories gathered over a lifetime, I came across an old - naturally - and very long extension lead, at one end of which is fixed, yep, in real, visible material, the very female connection I need! This can either be bought anew - if available somewhere, or I am willing to have the existing piece of extension altered at the other end to have the mini-jack plug the Wizard demands fitted, giving me an even better and more versatile variable! If the length isn't too much for the power available...

Peace.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:09:01 pm by Rob C »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2016, 04:13:31 pm »

Don't tell me about the Buddha: we lived in India, remember, and my mother was an avoid reader and seeker after knowledge, and, consequently, had a lot of Christmas Humphreys hangin' aboot the hoos, as she did of lives of artists. (Maybe she was more to blame for what became of me than my Vogue-collecting aunt!) Further, as I am already reduced to being somewhat of a sedentary creature due to circumstances slightly beyond my control (read Internet, not to mention cardio-vascular adventures), emulating the teachings of the wise one, were I indeed seduced into following his way, would turn me into an even more sedentary person, but of amplified girth - see The Man himself.

Rob

Clearly no need to tell you about the Buddha, as you read a couple of books about him sometime in the previous century. Although you could do worse than Christmas Humphreys. As for your girth, it could be amplified, or you could end up looking like this. The images you may have in mind are not of The Man himself (see here).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:26:08 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Ray

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »

.....emulating the teachings of the wise one, were I indeed seduced into following his way, would turn me into an even more sedentary person, but of amplified girth - see The Man himself.

Rob,
One aspect of creativity is the ability to take whatever you see as useful and beneficial from a set of teachings, and bend it to your own purposes. (See! I've just proved that creativity can be taught.)   ;D

In relation to Buddhism, I was not suggesting that you convert to the religion, but embrace that aspect of the Buddhist teachings which could help your mood swings, such as gaining control over your mind and not allowing anger, frustration and disappointment to spoil your day.

As I understand from the earliest writings on the subject, the Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) had no intention of creating a new religion and did not want his followers to create statues of him. He was reluctant to even bother attempting to teach others about his methods because he didn't think anyone would be able to understand him. Apparently he had to be persuaded by others to begin teaching his methods.

Hey! It's just occurred to me. Perhaps the Buddha initially had a similar attitude to yours, that creativity could not be taught. You either have it or you don't.  ;D

Kencameron makes an interesting point with his Wikipedia link. That fat, laughing Buddha is sometimes referred to as Maitreya, the Buddha who will appear some time in the future after everyone has forgotten about the current Buddha. Considering the current degree of obesity prevalent in modern societies, when or if that future Buddha appears, people should find it easy to identify with him.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2016, 04:52:05 am »

Rob,
One aspect of creativity is the ability to take whatever you see as useful and beneficial from a set of teachings, and bend it to your own purposes. (See! I've just proved that creativity can be taught.)   ;D

In relation to Buddhism, I was not suggesting that you convert to the religion, but embrace that aspect of the Buddhist teachings which could help your mood swings, such as gaining control over your mind and not allowing anger, frustration and disappointment to spoil your day.

As I understand from the earliest writings on the subject, the Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) had no intention of creating a new religion and did not want his followers to create statues of him. He was reluctant to even bother attempting to teach others about his methods because he didn't think anyone would be able to understand him. Apparently he had to be persuaded by others to begin teaching his methods.

Hey! It's just occurred to me. Perhaps the Buddha initially had a similar attitude to yours, that creativity could not be taught. You either have it or you don't.  ;D

Kencameron makes an interesting point with his Wikipedia link. That fat, laughing Buddha is sometimes referred to as Maitreya, the Buddha who will appear some time in the future after everyone has forgotten about the current Buddha. Considering the current degree of obesity prevalent in modern societies, when or if that future Buddha appears, people should find it easy to identify with him.  ;D

Or even claim to be him.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2016, 11:48:22 am »

Ray

Full-on euphoria returned; not due to The Man, but, to the local tv chap who, for €6 made me the connector for which the Barcelona Wizzy agent wanted €66 + 20% VAT and a pre-order with no real idea of delivery. It, the locally made one from my own collection of ancient cables and connections, works perfectly!

The other Man is in his heaven and everything is in its proper place. At least, chez moi!

;-)

Rob

Ray

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2016, 09:59:17 pm »

Ray

Full-on euphoria returned; not due to The Man, but, to the local tv chap who, for €6 made me the connector for which the Barcelona Wizzy agent wanted €66 + 20% VAT and a pre-order with no real idea of delivery. It, the locally made one from my own collection of ancient cables and connections, works perfectly!

The other Man is in his heaven and everything is in its proper place. At least, chez moi!

;-)

Rob

Rob,
Well that's good news, but my point still stands. Would it not have been better if, after your nice dinner and discourse with friends resulting in a sense of euphoria, you had been able to continue that sense of euphoria by having a good laugh at the absurdity of trivial problems like discovering you had the wrong adapter or connector?

Buddhism teaches you to be able to do that. (Provided you are willing to learn.)  ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2016, 12:13:50 am »

Buddhism teaches you to be able to do that. (Provided you are willing to learn.)  ;)
Which suggests another question: Can you teach Buddhism?   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38:05 am »

Which suggests another question: Can you teach Buddhism?   :D
One common answer to this question is that that you have to learn it from an experienced and skilled practitioner, who has in turn learned it from another such, in principle going all the way back to the Buddha, in practice going back to some notable teacher in the more recent past. See the Wikipedia entry on lineage.  A sort of apprenticeship system. This is distinct from learning about Buddhism, as an academic subject, and is based on the assumption that Buddhism (like other religions, maybe) needs to be thought of as something you do rather than (or as well as) something you believe. Students (in this sense) of buddhism look to their teachers to embody the teachings rather than simply knowing about them. Maybe some comparisons with Christianity there.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:41:17 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Richowens

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:25 am »

Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy. It has no deity or deities. Buddha was a teacher, not a god.

The US government has classified Buddhism as a religion for tax purposes to allow tax exempt status.

Good night

Rich

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2016, 03:19:49 am »

Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy. It has no deity or deities. Buddha was a teacher, not a god.

The US government has classified Buddhism as a religion for tax purposes to allow tax exempt status.

Good night

Rich
The first sentence is false, the middle one interesting and arguable, the last one true. An upward trajectory. But the US government's classifications for tax purposes have no authority or interest outside that context.
The Buddha certainly described himself as a teacher and a human being, not a God. He said that his teaching did not concern itself with whether not there is a God, and that the question was not one worth getting one's knickers in a knot about (not his exact words), but based on the earliest texts he didn't choose to question the Hindu polytheism that most people accepted at the time he lived, and most Buddhists in Eastern Countries so things that can reasonably be described as worshipping the Buddha and praying to him. He might have disapproved of some of this. The view that Buddhism is a religion not a philosophy is a 19th Century European Construction, developed to distinguish Buddhism from Christianity in the context of specifically European arguments. Sociologically, Buddhism is certainly a religion, having metaphysical and soteriological doctrines, ethical teachings, sacred sites, rituals, sacred songs, sacred smells (incense), holy women and men, a religious calendar, religious festivals, financial relationships between the laity and a class of priests or monks. If you want to say it isn't a religion because you don't have to believe in a God (true) then you need to find some other category for it and "philosophy" doesn't do the job.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:42:15 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2016, 08:03:01 am »

Coming late to this topic I seem to have missed the boat and it has become a discussion about teaching Buddhism.

On the subject of creativity though - I think most if not all people have a certain amount of creativity within themselves.  For the reasons, possibly amongst others, outlined in the article from the OP this creativity is largely stifled in most adults.  If one can unlock the creative ideas then they can be translated into actual creativity such as painting, photography etc.  I have lots of creative ideas, but I'm lazy.  So the ideas stay in my head.  Does that make me uncreative?

Can creativity be taught?  Not the basic process.  But surely teaching above the basic level is about encouraging a pupil to unlock their own barriers to expressing themselves.  So I would think a good teacher could show a pupil how to use their creative ideas in a practical way.  Creativity is only apparent when it is expressed.  I may or may not be creative, but nobody will know unless I do something tangible with my thoughts.  A good teacher could probably do that.

Most of what I see in photography that is called creative is merely replicating what other photographers have already done.  Particularly in subjects like landscape photography with known locations and 'tripod holes', ten-stop neutral density filters and Silver Effects Pro.  I'm not denigrating landscape photographers in general - I just use that as an example.  And many of the pictures are beautiful too.

I make a living from photography and sometimes I do need to be a little creative, especially on a location shoot with un-cooperative subjects, an ugly location and a rain clouds appearing.  I don't class myself as especially creative and most of my work related and personal photography is not what I consider creative.

Jim

Ray

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:36 am »

The Buddha certainly described himself as a teacher and a human being, not a God. He said that his teaching did not concern itself with whether not there is a God, and that the question was not one worth getting one's knickers in a knot about (not his exact words), but based on the earliest texts he didn't choose to question the Hindu polytheism that most people accepted at the time he lived.

That's not quite true. There is a subtle distinction to be made between the Hindu concept of reincarnation and the Buddhist concept of rebirth.

Hindus seem to believe in an indestructible soul and identity which passes from one body, upon death, to another birth. Whereas Buddhists have the view that nothing is permanent and that which passes from one dead person to a new-born is some sort of imprint or energy, and that such a process will cease when one has reached full enlightenment and escaped from the 'wheel of life'.

What's perhaps more interesting is the evidence that the Buddha was in revolt against the Hindu caste system which was apparently introduced by the Aryan invasion (or migration) of India from Europe about 1500 BC. Prior to that Aryan migration, there was an apparently peaceful civilization known as the Indus Valley or Harappan civilisation which stretched from around 3300BC to 1300 BC. The Buddha is supposed to have lived around 500 BC.

There is a concept, whether true or false, that the Buddha in his teachings was reaching back to that wonderful Harappan civilization, which was free of the awful caste system. It's a theory which appeals to me, but I confess I'm no expert. Perhaps I'm just being creative.  ;D

Ray

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2016, 08:18:31 am »

Coming late to this topic I seem to have missed the boat and it has become a discussion about teaching Buddhism.

On the subject of creativity though - I think most if not all people have a certain amount of creativity within themselves.  For the reasons, possibly amongst others, outlined in the article from the OP this creativity is largely stifled in most adults.  If one can unlock the creative ideas then they can be translated into actual creativity such as painting, photography etc.  I have lots of creative ideas, but I'm lazy.  So the ideas stay in my head.  Does that make me uncreative?

Can creativity be taught?  Not the basic process.  But surely teaching above the basic level is about encouraging a pupil to unlock their own barriers to expressing themselves.  So I would think a good teacher could show a pupil how to use their creative ideas in a practical way.  Creativity is only apparent when it is expressed.  I may or may not be creative, but nobody will know unless I do something tangible with my thoughts.  A good teacher could probably do that.

Most of what I see in photography that is called creative is merely replicating what other photographers have already done.  Particularly in subjects like landscape photography with known locations and 'tripod holes', ten-stop neutral density filters and Silver Effects Pro.  I'm not denigrating landscape photographers in general - I just use that as an example.  And many of the pictures are beautiful too.

I make a living from photography and sometimes I do need to be a little creative, especially on a location shoot with un-cooperative subjects, an ugly location and a rain clouds appearing.  I don't class myself as especially creative and most of my work related and personal photography is not what I consider creative.

Jim

Good post which I cannot criticise, although your last sentence might be considered as excessively humble.  ;)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2016, 08:32:23 am »

Good post which I cannot criticise, although your last sentence might be considered as excessively humble.  ;)

Ha - thanks Ray - but I don't really consider myself humble, just being honest.  I know my limitations!

Jim

Ray

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2016, 08:42:48 am »

Ah! Perhaps that's my problem. I don't know my limitations. I tend to think anything is possible.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2016, 09:52:12 am »

The link below isn't the one I wish to refer you to, but the one I want comes up at the end of this link, in a little rectangle amongst others, entitled: "Saul Leiter in Conversation with Vince Aletti". All you need do is open the link provided, and then push the progress bar to the end until it catches up with the show - moments. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I can't catch a direct link to the "Conversation".

http://theartofphotography.tv/episodes/who-influenced-saul-leiter/

Leiter touches upon this thorny matter; as both painter and photographer of abilty, his words carry gravitas.

Sit down with a piping hot fresh coffee, and if you are really into photography-as-art stuff, you'll realise your coffee has gone cold at the end of the show.

Of course, this isn't to denigrate the material in the first link, but for me, there's nothing like listening to the guy himself.

Rob

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2016, 03:39:43 pm »

That's not quite true. There is a subtle distinction to be made between the Hindu concept of reincarnation and the Buddhist concept of rebirth...

...What's perhaps more interesting is the evidence that the Buddha was in revolt against the Hindu caste system

Agree on both counts. My original point, though, was that the Buddha doesn't appear to have disputed the reality of the Hindu pantheon - Brahma and the others. But I am beginning to feel a jot, tittle or smidgen of remorse at being part of diverting the thread, so enough already from me about Buddhism.
Ken Cameron

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »

The link below isn't the one I wish to refer you to, but the one I want comes up at the end of this link, in a little rectangle amongst others, entitled: "Saul Leiter in Conversation with Vince Aletti". All you need do is open the link provided, and then push the progress bar to the end until it catches up with the show - moments. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I can't catch a direct link to the "Conversation".

Rob
Great interview. Direct link to it here.
Ken Cameron

AreBee

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »

Given that we all see differently, how are others taught to see?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up