Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 blown printhead  (Read 2345 times)

samsterid

Z3100 blown printhead
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:44:56 pm »

I've been struggling with getting my Z3100 44" back in operation after nearly two years of no use after a big move.
(It was powered on 24/7 for most of that time though.)

Recent trouble started with replacing the frayed belt; got through that ok with the help of Bob from  LPS and Mark's posts here.
But over the last two days the printer has asked me to replace two print-heads (PK-LG and M-Y), plus one ink cartridge that was at least half full.
After that I did a printhead alignment and printed a diagnostic print and all looked ok.

THEN Today while doing a calibration, I smelled a faint electrical burning smell, the calibration canceled itself and then said - "Replace PG-LG printhead" - the one I had just replaced.
All of this stuff is "Out of Warranty" so I expect I'd need to replace items as I'm going along.

But the printhead that failed today looks like it suffered some kind of electrical short, and that has me worried.
Any ideas what could cause that?

Thanks - Sam

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:49:38 pm by samsterid »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: Z3100 blown printhead
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:19:34 pm »

It's possible that you have a faulty PCA board.  That's the circuit board under the carriage cover.
The good news is that's only a $110.00 part:  PCA Board

Before jumping to that conclusion however, I think some remedial troubleshooting is in order.

If those printheads are two years out of warranty, dump them all.  Get new ones.  Pull them and clean the printer's carriage every way you can.  Clean the printhead contacts. Use distilled water and lint-free material.  Get it all whistle clean.  Unplug all electrical connections and replug them making sure there is good contact.  Install the new printheads and do a full nozzle clean.  Go to my website and download the color chart and print that to exercise the printheads first.  Then print a diagnostic image.

See what happens.  If good then you're set.  If not, time to start replacing the PCA board or find a new printhead carriage, or components.  Parts are out there so I wouldn'tt be too concerned.

Just try the remedial stuff first.  Don't forget to unplug printer and restart a few times in a row.  Let it initialize at least twice before attempting to print.  Good idea to be running off a UPS, BTW.

Mark

Edit for spelling
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:09:47 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

samsterid

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »

Thanks for all those suggestions  Mark.

I had already cleaned things up pretty well before I installed the new carriage belt.
Re-seated all the cables - at least on the end where the formatter board is.
Every time I get a printhead fail, I always clean the contacts on the head and the carriage assembly - why does ink get on there anyway?

I am going to order new heads and give that a go - I'll keep you posted.
(Every time I post or reply, I guess I have to do all 7 Verification steps because I'm a newbie?  Wish those letter were a little easier to decipher . . .)

Thanks - Sam

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »

Not sure what you mean about:
Every time I post or reply, I guess I have to do all 7 Verification steps because I'm a newbie?  Wish those letter were a little easier to decipher . . ."

Go to the main LULA website (upper left corner)

Look at the bottom right - there's a big green ?HELP button - ask them about why you're having trouble.

If you pulled the cables when you did the new belt install, there's a possibility that one of the wires to the  PCA Board got loose.  Check that again, check the wires that go into the plug itself.  See if one if wiggly.

When you put the new printheads in, I suggest a full nozzle clean, then a diagnostic image.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

samsterid

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:49:30 pm »

I never disconnected any wires/cables from the carriage assembly - seems like those connections are inside the carriage housing?

Anyway, I just took off the right cover to have another look around.  The service station still looks pretty clean, but I noticed some black ink above that; on the encoding strip and even some on the carriage rail.  That can't be good!

I cleaned up that area very well when I changed the belt, and since then I've hardly printed anything except 5 or 6 test pages.
So something is wrong there.
Wondering what that little tube pointed straight up is for?  I can't see anything nearby that it should be attached to.

Thanks again - Sam

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:46 pm »

Sam, do this.

If you are using your LAN to print, go into your browser and type in your printers address.

Mine is like 192.168.0.7  If you haven't used  the embedded web server:

GO HERE FOR INSTRTUCTIONS

Click the third to the right green tab that says "support".

Then click the bottom "service support" on left.  Then click "printer information"

When you get to the next page that says "Current Media, Printhead and Ink Information"  look at the tabs on the top of that page.

Go to event logs.  In there you will find error messages.

Copy the error messages and look them up in the repair manual, or just google them:

"HP Z3100 error code 78:08" (or whatever)

You'll get something back like:

System Error: 78.1:YZ
Problem
Description:
Media settings area missing in media settings file.
Corrective Action: Try the following:
..Switch the Power OFF from the back of the Printer and disconnect the
Power cord. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer.
..Check that the Printer has the latest Firmware version. If not, update the
Firmware to the latest version.
..Update the OMES.

See what error messages the printer is reporting back.  Best thing is to look them up in the service manual.

You can also get into the error messages from the console on the printer:

Go to INFORMATION in the main menu.  >
PRINTER LOGS>
SYSTEM ERRORS

See what the most recent are. 

Then go to SYSTEM WARNINGS

See what you can find in there like maybe a scan axis issue or something.

I don't know what that tube sticking up is, unless it's a breather tube that somehow got misplaced.  Without getting in there, I just can't say.

Yep.  The ink on the encoder strip and the guide rail ain't good.  Nope.

I wonder if your carriage is hitting the cleaning station or you have a problem with the trailing cable.

Did you do all your calibrations after changing the belt>  Did it pass all the tests?

By any chance could you have possibly broken the rear carriage bushing during disassembly and reassembly?

REAR CARRIAGE BUSHING INFO

You may need to replace the encoder strip if it has scratches or wear patterns in it.

There are so many things it could be from the Print Mechanism PC Board to who knows what.

Try to find out if there is a big error message issue.  There should be several and they would say severe.

It may give you a place to start next.

Good luck -

Mark

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

samsterid

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »

Thanks for all that info Mark!

I did break the flimsy rear carriage bushing on my first attempt to re-install the carriage, and then got a new one from LPS before I powered it back up.

Looking at all error codes - two were related to when the belt stopped working (it got stuck in the belt tensioner, so nothing was moving.)
The only other error was for the the starwheel motor. That was another recent failure - one of the mounting pins for a gear had broken and was jamming that motor.  I managed to fix that, and the 47:01 error has not occurred since.

New printheads arriving today.
I'm thinking about running the cleaning and diagnostics with the right cover removed - See if I can spot how the ink is getting on the carriage rail.

Sam

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »

Be aware that the laser works in the dark when it's reading the chart, that's why they have a dark tinted cover.  If you run the diagnostic process with light coming in you can damage the ESP.  Be really careful how you do that.

The time to watch for ink spillage is NOT during a laser chart reading routine.

Sounds like you've had your hard knocks with this printer.

You can probably find a replacement for less than the time your putting into it,
but if you're anything like me, quiting isn't an option...

Again,

Good luck.

Mark

Edit for spelling
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:39:29 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

samsterid

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:43 pm »

I actually meant I would clean the printheads then PRINT some diagnostic pages.
But thanks for that tip on the ESP working in the dark. I should probably skip printhead alignment while the cover is off.

As for the hard knocks, I can't find any Z3100 for under $1900 on Ebay, and I can't afford a good used Z3200.
So I'm figuring to fix up the beast I have and then at least I'll know what parts are in decent shape afterward.
(I guess it's possible I could eventually spend $3000-4000 on parts - keeping my fingers crossed.)

Sam
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:12:49 pm by samsterid »

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »

As for the hard knocks, I can't find any Z3100 for under $1900 on Ebay, and I can't afford a good used Z3200.
Sam

Z3100 eBay

By the way, there is a LuLa member who is selling a Z3100 Printer who is in Arizona.
He's come down to $700.00 so far.

You would have to join LuLa to be able to get into Buy and Sell.

Here is his original post with the hope that you will eventually join Lula - it's like $14.00 per year.... I won't tell you his name - just that this is available, and the APS profiling system - pretty cool.  You know how to change a belt now, right?  LOL

I have a working HP Z3100 44" large format printer that has served me well over the last 7-8 years or so. I'm retiring from my photography business and the printer needs to go where it will be used. I have two extra HP ink carts that will be included (retail at about $70 each). The Z3100 uses 12 inks including a gloss optimizer. It can do beautiful color and the black and white prints are real stunners.

The printer is located in Flagstaff, AZ.

Known issues:

1) The drive belt needs to be changed as it started throwing off flakes just as I was winding down the business. I have the new belt (included), but I never got around to replacing it. There is a very good YouTube video online with step by step instructions on how to change it. If I vacuum out the belt area before making a 40x50 print, I can get a good print, but I suggest changing the belt.

2) I would also put in a new HP Service Station while you have the printer apart. They run about $360 for a new one or about $240 for a refurbished one. This I do not have.

Except for the two or three print heads (about $60-65 each) I have changed out, this printer has been a real workhorse having generated thousands and thousands of square feet of prints. The printer still looks beautiful.

I will also give you the HP APS (Advanced Profiling Software) software that allows you to take maximum advantage of the built in spectrometer for paper profiling. Definitely a step above the built in software.

I am asking $900 for the printer and as it says in the thread title, this is for pick up only for obvious reasons.

I also have a lot of roll paper in 24" and 42-44" that I will make you a very good deal on if you buy the printer. The list of papers includes: HP Smooth Fine Art, HP Professional Satin, Breathing Color Lyve Canvas, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, Proofing Media, and others.

If you buy the printer, you should spend $240-360 on a service station and set aside a day or two to do the work. When you're all done, for about $1300 and some time, you'll have a top notch professional 44" printer that produces wonderful prints, sips ink, never clogs and has been almost trouble free along with some really excellent profiling software.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:53:22 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

samsterid

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 09:18:05 pm »

Ha! - I looked over that posting for the printer in Flagstaff just before I read your post.
Very tempting - I'm in N. California, so it's kinda doable?
Wonder if it would fit in a Prius ?

See how it goes here first . . .

Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up