Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7R II Custom White Balance setting  (Read 1976 times)

jemadsen

Sony A7R II Custom White Balance setting
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:18:21 am »

Hi

Having been playing around with my wonderful A7R II I have come to Custom White Balance setting and have found a peculiarity.

For years I have been using the ExpoDisc Neutral with my Nikon DSLR with great and very satisfactory results.

Using it with the Sony however gives a surprising result.

On an overcast day with not a shadow in sight, on the northern hemisphere (56° N), Sony sets the WB to 6.500 Kelvin. When importing to Lightroom the WB is set as 5.600 Kelvin and Tint +6.

Taking the same shot on Sony Auto WB Lightroom sets WB as 4.600 Kelvin and Tint +5.

The latter shows the best rendition of the scene (a garden shot, mostly greens, grays and golden tones) in LR Development module.

The shots were taken with my Zeiss Loxia Planar 50 mm lens, where the 77 mm ExpoDisc fits nicely over the hood so I don't have the trouble of detaching / attaching it every time I set a new WB. Presumably the lens will not affect the setting in any way.

Is there something I oversee, is there a menu setting that goes along with the Custom White Balance setting. It could easilyt be so, as the menu system is a mess and the manual is a criminal offence to the customer, at this particular price point even a severe one.

Hope someone can explain.

Best regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up