Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographer's widow.  (Read 2715 times)

dreed

Photographer's widow.
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:51:49 am »

I was out shooting on NYE when I happened across a couple ... a gentleman with his tripod and DSLR and partner who was there ... and just standing around. Obviously she had learned to be patient but she appeared far less important than the tripod and camera, almost as if they weren't a couple and she was a widow: the person she was there with wasn't there with her.

It was then I wondered how many and how often are we photographer's like that - accompanied by someone that is more akin to being our widow than our partner.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Photographer's widow.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:34:34 am »

Sometimes that is the case. But he may become a widower at other times. For some spouses, they have learned to bring a book to read. Others simply stay home.

In any case, this "behavior" was rarer and predates the time when hand-held phones and "anti-social media" became one's new family member, much more important to pay attention to than the living, breathing human being within inches...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:35:04 am »

The photographer's long suffering wife :) :-*

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:48:58 am »

Photography is a solitary endeavor.

Sunrise photography is better than a marriage counselor. You get to get up at 4am, while the better half is still solidly asleep. :)

landscapephoto

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:31:36 am »

I was out shooting on NYE when I happened across a couple ... a gentleman with his tripod and DSLR and partner who was there ... and just standing around. Obviously she had learned to be patient but she appeared far less important than the tripod and camera, almost as if they weren't a couple and she was a widow: the person she was there with wasn't there with her.

It was then I wondered how many and how often are we photographer's like that - accompanied by someone that is more akin to being our widow than our partner.

That is not a problem with photography. That is a problem with the absurd modern idea that, if you are a couple, you should do things together 100% of the time.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 11:36:33 am »

Once you brought someone with you (to a shoot) who's not a fellow photographer, it's immediately a lose-lose situation. Giving preference to a camera over your significant other is a truly bad thing to do; but when you consider the alternative, you should probably just put your camera back to the bag.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 09:15:29 pm »

That is not a problem with photography. That is a problem with the absurd modern idea that, if you are a couple, you should do things together 100% of the time.

Couldn't agree more!

This is a cultural thing though. The wives of some of my Japanese friends wish their husband would spent a bit more time with them (time being spent on golf, photography of other endeavours...). ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:26:06 pm »

My wife is sometimes that woman. But she loves my photos and I appreciate her support. That being said it's often better if I shoot alone. :)
-MattB

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 12:00:58 am »

Photography is a solitary endeavor.

Actually I disagree. I greatly enjoy shooting with partners (3 or less). I love shooting with Mike and Kevin. What I don't do is inflict photo trips on my wife. I did that on our honeymoon-she was my sherpa for my camera bags so I could run around and shoot all over Europe. Now I don't do that. Rather than slepp bunch of cameras, lenses and a tripod, I take my Sony RX 100 which fits in my tee shirt pocket. I still shoot with her around but she doesn't mind because I shoot quick and don't hang around unless it's waiting for sunset, but she likes sunsets. The only thing she doesn't really enjoy are the number of shots I do of her...she tends to make faces at me (which I really enjoy shooting–too bad for her :~)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 09:20:36 am »

I have have lots of photographs of my wife reading!  Sometimes she will bring watercolors and paint.  When we are in the city she loves taking photos using a Panasonic LX3 of things like women wearing boots or bicycles of Portland, OR.  I think she secretly enjoys it.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:14 pm »

She does get in on the action and is a good sport about it. It's better when I'm shooting my smaller camera without a tripod. More casual and fun.
IMGP5285-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

torger

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:40 am »

I'm one of those that like to shoot alone, otherwise I get distracted. I'm a very very very slow photographer. I can stay and look at some small area for half an hour, and then come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth to make an image there. Or I may go randomly into the forest just to find out that in that direction I didn't find anything.

If I have people with me, my partner or anyone else, I don't dare to be experimental and really look at things around me, and my work suffers.

What I do enjoy though is discussing images with photographing friends. Meeting up and have a look at some recent work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up