Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what are the computer requirements for Capture One  (Read 9175 times)

PrintPd

what are the computer requirements for Capture One
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:08 pm »

I need to replace my Macbook Pro (old 17"). I was using Aperture and sometimes Lightroom (which I have not updated for a long time).  As Apple vanished from the photography software market I am interested to try Capture One (even I have a free new version of Lightroom available as I just got a Leica Q). Capture one 9.x will not work with 10.9.5 and I expect  an iOS upgrade of my computer would be not a pleasant experience.
What is recommended to have a decent workflow in terms of recent computer specs?
I still prefer Macs.Some laptops were announced at the last CES using OLED monitors which ßwould be quite interesting to me (no metamerism, better colors and dynamic range) except I am not fond of Windows at all.

sebbe

Re: what are the computer requirements for Capture One
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:04 am »

http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO8/Introduction/Setting-up-Capture-One.aspx

Intel® Core™ 4 Quad and i7 or better
    16 GB of RAM + (C1 can use 32 and 64. If you have the choice, use it. it's not expensive).
    Calibrated monitor (I prefer 27'' with 2560x1440 and a low dpi)
    Use a fast and local hard disk (SSD), best would be 1 for the operating system, 1 for the catalog, 1 for the pics. (most laptops can't have more than 2 seperate HDs)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:44:57 am »

I am not fond of Windows at all.
Have you tried it recently?

I have had preferences in the past, but these days, I use both, and they both work fine - which, for an operating system, means they are both invisible, almost always.
Ken Cameron

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:38:17 am »

What is recommended to have a decent workflow in terms of recent computer specs?
C1 uses ___GPU___ a lot - so make sure you have a decent one

mgrayson

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:45:55 am »

An OS upgrade need not be difficult. Certainly not as hard as transferring all licenses to a new machine. If performance is an issue, do you have an SSD in the laptop? That kept my 2009 Mac Pro viable through the present.

PrintPd

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:38 pm »

An OS upgrade need not be difficult. Certainly not as hard as transferring all licenses to a new machine. If performance is an issue, do you have an SSD in the laptop? That kept my 2009 Mac Pro viable through the present.
I upgraded to a 1TB SSD which improved the performance but still not close to where I am happy with. Also the max ram is only 8 GB

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:33:00 pm »

I upgraded to a 1TB SSD which improved the performance but still not close to where I am happy with. Also the max ram is only 8 GB

Don't chase that dragon. I speak from experience.
I started with a Mac Mini, and now have a much more "capable" Mac Pro. The increase in performance was noticeable but not $2K better.
C1 is very hardware hungry when used full blown. If you stick with smaller catalogs or better yet, Sessions, things run much smoother.
Keep in mind, I still love C1's editing, but the cataloging needs much improvement.

sebbe

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 03:03:25 am »

Don't chase that dragon. I speak from experience.
I started with a Mac Mini, and now have a much more "capable" Mac Pro. The increase in performance was noticeable but not $2K better.
C1 is very hardware hungry when used full blown. If you stick with smaller catalogs or better yet, Sessions, things run much smoother.
Keep in mind, I still love C1's editing, but the cataloging needs much improvement.

Some of us will remember: If you want to play that game with full grafic options, you need the latest computer hardware.
It's the same with C1. With my laptop (32GB RAM, Intel Core i7-4720HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M and three Samsung SSDs (500GB (windows), 128GB (catalogue), 1TB (pics))) Capture One works smooth. No matters how big the catalogue is, well I only use such with up to 10'000 pics.
And you can even add some more power today or take a better desktop.

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:02 am »

With my laptop (32GB RAM, Intel Core i7-4720HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M and three Samsung SSDs (500GB (windows), 128GB (catalogue), 1TB (pics))) Capture One works smooth.
OP is a poor soul stuck in the mac world, they don't have the powerful notebooks, only slick ones - unless somebody is willing to go hackintosh  ;D

sebbe

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:18 am »

OP is a poor soul stuck in the mac world, they don't have the powerful notebooks, only slick ones - unless somebody is willing to go hackintosh  ;D

Well, on the other hand mine is 2.5kg and the charger is big and heavy. I have only a 15'' -1920x1080 display (but who cares) and don't have the high quality an apple product looks like... but I paid not much for it and there is still a slot for another SSD. :)

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »

Capture One works smooth. No matters how big the catalogue is, well I only use such with up to 10'000 pics.

On the one hand you say "No matter how big" then you say your catalogs are no bigger than 10,000.
10,000 may be C1's limit.
In my personal experience, when creating a catalog, 15,000 is where C1 hit the wall as far as import speed. So 10,000 would probably be more responsive.
Well my catalog is over 3X that size and I'm here to tell ya, it ain't smooth.
Its better than 8, but still not as smooth as Media Pro or LR.
I'm talking particularly about keywords, searching, and the like. Other than that, its fine.
I'd like to see how your machine responds to a 40,000 catalog of mixed media files. By that I mean Nikon,Canon,Tiff,Raw etc.
Had I known that my increase in hardware wouldn't have made that much a difference, I could have saved the scratch(and space), bought a RAID and hooked it up to the Mini. I probably wouldn't have as I had the discretionary funds at the time, and I do like my Mac Pro.
This guy may not have such discretionary spending.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »

Well, those SSDs are slow as dirt. The new MacBook Pros do about 1.5 GB/sec on the internal storage (or roughly 5x SATA speeds) so they're certainly capable.

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:12:13 pm »

Well, those SSDs are slow as dirt. The new MacBook Pros do about 1.5 GB/sec on the internal storage (or roughly 5x SATA speeds) so they're certainly capable.

I was not referring to "those" SSDs - you can perfectly install One M.2 2280 SSD with PCIe Gen3x4 i in PC __notebook__ along with desktop chipset, desktop i7 CPU, 64GB ram and __dual__ GPU.... try anything like this with macbook pro, then come back to share your luck  ;D , but yes - macbook pro will look much better in Starbucks.

PrintPd

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »

About SSD speed: Intel and Micron developed a new storage technology Xpoint-3D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_XPoint which supposed to be 100x faster than present SSD and 1000x more durable. Sounds great but likely not happening this year. Also other companies will develop competing technologies (memristors). I wonder if backups will the a thing of the past win a few years?

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 03:02:01 pm »

I was not referring to "those" SSDs - you can perfectly install One M.2 2280 SSD with PCIe Gen3x4 i in PC __notebook__ along with desktop chipset, desktop i7 CPU, 64GB ram and __dual__ GPU.... try anything like this with macbook pro, then come back to share your luck  ;D , but yes - macbook pro will look much better in Starbucks.

Awesome. You've got all these specs. I have 16 GB of RAM and storage that's 1.5 GB/sec in speed. I don't get any lags in anything. I don't NEED 64 GB of RAM in my laptop. It's extremely fast.

But it's a lot lighter to carry to the coffee shop, at 5 lb for a 15" with a retina screen. I prefer Peet's though.

AlterEgo

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:32 pm »

I have 16 GB of RAM and storage that's 1.5 GB/sec in speed. I don't get any lags in anything.

lucky you with your raws and workflow ;D

poor code developers in P1 put so much effort for example in an ability to use all available GPUs (iGPU and all dGPU) and yet we now aware that you simply need 16gb RAM and 1.6GB/sec access to SSD and kaboom... no delays in anything... oh, it was just you, I forgot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up