Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to adjust the "brightness" of a single layer of a multi-layer PSB?  (Read 1720 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Hi,
background:

I am working on  stitched panorama of an interior space. The originals are raw files shot with the camera in manual control mode with the same exposure settings for all frames, and all frames were processed identically in Lightroom CC2015 and output as 16 BPC ProPhoto RGB TIFFs for stitching in PT GUI Pro 10.0.15 which is the most recent version as of 01.20.2015. The stitched composite is output from PTGui Pro as a background + layered PSB in 16 bps Pro Photo RGB. 

Despite being very careful with setting up the nodal point displacement when shooting  and shooting with lots of overlap (40-50%) and using what I think is pretty careful (although basic) use of PTGui's controls, there remain a few near/far parallax glitches I need to fix. So I find the relevant layer and then paint  white in the spots where the glitches occur to make a seamless merge with the surrounding area.

Generally that works fine but the problem with this image is that the revealed area is darker that the surrounding areas. 

Question: What, if any are the best ways to control the brightness/lightness/luminosity of the layer that is revealed when I paint  the mask of the overlying layer?

kirkt

Add an adjustment layer (whichever works best for you - curves, levels, exposure, brightness/contrast) and clip that adjustment layer to the specific PSB layer that needs the adjustment.  Clipping the adjustment to the specified PSB layer confines the adjustment to just that layer and not the entire layer stack.  After you add the adjustment layer above the PSB layer you want to affect, place your cursor over the border between the two layers in the Layers panel with the ALT or OPTION key pressed - the cursor will change to an icon that looks like a square with a down-pointing arrow next to it - click and the adjustment layer will become indented in the layer stack with a down-pointing arrow to the left of it, indicating that the layer is now clipped to the layer below it, meaning it will only affect the single layer below it and not the entire layer stack below it.

You can clip any number of layers to a specific layer - for example, if you wanted to adjust the brightness and the warmth of a layer, you could clip brightness/contrast and a photo filter adjustment layers to that single PSB layer in the pano.  Etc.

I hope this is what you are trying to accomplish - sorry if I misunderstood the request.

I would use either a levels or curves adjustment layer to best control the specific tonal range you are trying to match with the rest of the area in the pano.

Kirk

Ellis Vener

Thanks Kirk! I'll try that in the morning.

Ellis Vener

the issue turned out to be a duplicate frame in the sequence and PTGui. Once that one was removed I stitched again and the problem with the mis-alignments went away and with it, the tone blending issue.

kirkt

the issue turned out to be a duplicate frame in the sequence and PTGui. Once that one was removed I stitched again and the problem with the mis-alignments went away and with it, the tone blending issue.

A much better solution than mine!

Kirk
Pages: [1]   Go Up