Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200 color problem  (Read 5916 times)

netherscurial

HP z3200 color problem
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »

Hello,

For some reason my prints are coming out washed out or dull all of a sudden, especially in the reds. A bright saturated red will print like a light pink color.

The printer does say my PK cartridge is expired...would that effect anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks

netherscurial

Re: HP z3200 color problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:39:45 pm »

Ok I tried printhead calibration and printhead alignment. It says to repalce the MK-R printhead, even I tried taking it out and cleaning with lint free cloth. Guess I will order a new printhead

I tried also the paper calibration but it said it couldn't scan the calibration print...anyone know why it wouldn't scan?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »

Depending on how old your printheads are, it might be a good idea to just change them all.  Go into printheads and see which ones are functioning correctly.

When you install the new ones, save the old ones with the orange caps from the new ones, they might come in handy in a pinch.

You might consider cleaning the printhead sockets before installing.

I install all the printheads at the same time.

Once you install the new printheads the printer will do a printhead alignment and print a chart.  This will take a long time.

I typically do a complete head cleaning next, then print a diagnostic chart and check it thoroughly.

The I do a paper profile/calibration, then a paper advance calibration on the new paper.

If you do this you should be fine, I'm guessing.

The expired ink shouldn't cause that much of a problem that you're describing.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

tonywong

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

Like Mark said, clean the contacts between the printhead and carriage first (both sides, on the printhead cartridge and within the carriage) and try it again.

netherscurial

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:00 pm »

Thanks Mark and Tony,

Mark, by cleaning the printhead socket, you you mean the gold electrical pins (contacts like Tony said?) at the back of each printhead space in the printhead carriage? What's the best way to clean those? alcohol?

Any ideas why it wont complete scanning?

Thanks again

kevin

netherscurial

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »

I had replaced all the printer like a little over 2 years ago, around July of 2013....but looks like the warranty has expired

tonywong

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:28:46 pm »

I use isopropyl alcohol or electronic contact cleaning solution on the contacts. Not sure why the calibration scan won't go, but tackle the contacts first? Maybe it's related.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »

Thanks Mark and Tony,

Mark, by cleaning the printhead socket, you you mean the gold electrical pins (contacts like Tony said?) at the back of each printhead space in the printhead carriage? What's the best way to clean those? alcohol?

Any ideas why it wont complete scanning?

Thanks again

kevin

Yes inside the carriage - the gold electrical pins.  Be aware that HP says in the manual:  "Never clean inside the Ink Cartridge slots as this can cause damage to the Printer."

We're talking about long out of warranty used printers, so what the heck.  That being said, I use the little factory q-tip which I always wrap back up and save.  It's got HP's cleaning solution on it.  Actually in lieu of that, I'd use distilled water with some pec pads or something that won't track lint into the micro pores.  Just a little light house cleaning down there, no big deal.

Why won't it calibrate?  It's a chain of stuff.  Could be the mirror on your EPS is clouded or dusty or smudged.  You need a mechanics mirror and a contortionist to clean that, but it can be done.  Read about the EPS here:  ESP

But before you get all worked up, really, do all your homework - in other words, clean and /or replace the printheads and everything you can get at inside there.  Take a vacuum cleaner to it.  Just do it.

If you can, replace those printheads.  A while set is less that a couple of ink cartridges.  Really?  Pretty much pretty close.

Take out your ink carts.  Put them in a plastic bag, seal it and shake it good.  Put it back, go on to the next one until you've got everything shook up and back in.  If you're going to keep your old print heads (not wise IMHO), then do the stuff here:
Dealing With Printheads on HP Z Series Printers

Do the printhead diagnostic image and be sure to study it and work at fixing what's wrong.

Then, and only then, after next loading some paper, calibrate it then run a profile on it and custom ICC profile.

THEN.... if you're having an issue, try running advance paper calibration.

IF it doesn't work, then you've got an issue with the EPS most likely.  You can replace it or replace the carriage.

BUT...  if you do all that other stuff, which is actually what HP recommended and maybe still does in the manual today, you might just get by.

A word of caution.  DO NOT PUT CANNED AIR IN THERE.  You'll just fluff up the crap of ages.

Good luck - - don't try to keep running the Advance Paper Calibration.  Just do your housekeeping  and procedures first.

Surprisingly things go well most of the time after doing that.

Mark

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

netherscurial

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:04 am »

Thank you Mark for the awesome details.

I love the printer though it's finicky sometimes. I did take it apart one time to replace the shredded ribbon cable.....fairly easy but tons of steps :)

FOr the heads, I had ordered the MK-R head Monday from BH photo but it was like 60 dollars. Is there a good reliable cheaper place for these?

Thanks again

netherscurial

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:52:16 am »

Also would a microfiber cloth work for cleaning those electrical contacts? The service manual said you can use distilled water too

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 02:24:41 pm »

B&H is pretty reliable and you get what you pay for.

Actually it's not entirely "kosher" but I sometimes buy full sets off ebay that are just expired.

Here's a complete set for $99, and it includes the 73 Chromata Red.

2015 Printhead set - eBAY

I personally don't see anything wrong with using a slightly out of date set or individual printhead. 

Works for me.

Mark

EDIT:  Here's a complete set for $70.00 but you'd have to get it quick if you wanted it.

eBAY - 2015 Full Printhead set - 2015 expiry
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

netherscurial

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 04:03:39 pm »

THanks! I ordered the cheaper $60 set...thanks! good to know we can use those expired heads.

Kevin

netherscurial

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:07:15 am »

Seems like all the problems come at one time :)

We had a bad snow/ice storm come through here last night and the power went out, bring the printer down. When the power came back on the printer initialized and the carriage went through it's normal thing, going to the left and back to the right seating area...then an error 47:01 came up...which seems to be a star wheels assembly problem.

Could the power going out break this? I tried doing some of the solutions here but no go: http://www.dsplotterrepairs.co.uk/knowledgebase/error-code-4701-in-depth-look/

THanks

netherscurial

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 09:09:08 am »

I noticed I can hold the starwheel assembly on the right and bring it up a little, but the leftside does no give at all

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »

I'd try plugging and unplugging the printer several times.  Unplug the cord from the outlet.
Try reinitializing.  Unplug again, try again.

Here is HP's instructions:  47:01 Error

Get a bright light or a good flashlight and check carefully for missing star wheels on the assembly.

Move the paper load lever up and try moving a sheet  or roll paper in and out.

Open the lid and roll up an 8x10 piece of paper and stick it in that little hole in the upper right.  This disables the limit switch so you can operate the printer with the lid (bonnet) open.  After waiting a while, plug in again and  watch the startup process carefully.  See what the carriage is doing and if it's hitting anything.

Read that linked document very carefully and do what they recommend.

Man that sucks.

Keep messing with it and looking carefully.  Keep trying to move the assembly up and down.

Sometimes repeating things several times works with the Z's

Good luck -

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

namartinnz

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 11:21:22 pm »

I noticed I can hold the starwheel assembly on the right and bring it up a little, but the leftside does no give at all

It may well be the star wheel motor or a missing/broken gear. I had a breakage on my Z3100 years ago, and using the manual, pulled the left hand side off, discovering the mount for one of the gear wheels broken. I got another motor assembly, swapped it out and all good again. May have coincidence after your storm...

Neal

netherscurial

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »

Thank you Mark and namartinnz

I'll some more of these things you suggested, and will report back my progress.

Kevin

netherscurial

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »

Hello.

It's been awhile but I've been outa town for a bit so just started looking at this starwheel problem.

Mark I did what you suggest about putting rolled paper in that little hole so i can left the lid to see the carriage assembly and starwheels when it is initializing.

I looked in the repair manual and it says this:

For Z3200 series: To be able to remove this assembly, the starwheels rail must be at the HIGH position. To reach this position, restart the printer. During the initialization (near the beginning), the printer will raise the starwheels rail to the HIGH position. Turn off the printer when the starwheels rail is at the highest point using the rear button.

I never saw it go up in the beginning so I am assuming its the lifter and motor? I tool the left cover off too and looked at the starwheel lifter on the left and it seems alright.

Any thoughts? I have a motor and lifter on the way from LPS computer. So maybe Ill just replace both.

Thanks
Kevin

netherscurial

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 04:40:10 pm »

I also put, as suggested in manual, the roll of paper through to the front to see if there were any obstructions. There weren't any.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 07:33:39 pm »

Will the printer initialize?   If you unplug it and start it up, what does it do?

Can you print at all?

Go to: 

MAIN MENU>
INFORMATION>
PRINTER LOGS>
SYSTEMS ERRORS (Check for errors and write down)
SYSTEM WARNINGS (check for errors and write down)

If you have no recent errors, can you print out a diagnostic image?

Let us know what you find.

Mark

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up