Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can this trick work? LEE FILTER HOLDER SYSTEM  (Read 710 times)

stider

Can this trick work? LEE FILTER HOLDER SYSTEM
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:12:29 am »

So I just ordered a lee filter system, after days of painstaking research, it seems people are unhappy with every system out there, but maybe less unhappy with this one. Oh well we'll see what happens.

Anyway, I have ordered some GND's and I was looking at reverse GND's, when the thought struck me...how far in and out can you stably slide the filters in the system? I'm thinking, I maybe can just put my GND in upside down, with the clear part of it sticking high up out of the holder, sliding it down only enough for the graduated part of the slide to cover the sun. IF this is possible, am I correct in my believe that this would exactly emulate a reverse GND? (thus saving a not at all shabby $700 or so on filters!)

p.s. I think it's amazing that anyone (including myself) ever registered and continues to post on this site, considering the 7 question form you have to fill out every step of the way. Isn't this a little insane? Then the little "shortcuts" info afterward is just too funny to make me laugh, really. : p

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Can this trick work? LEE FILTER HOLDER SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:10:42 am »

If I understand what you are proposing correctly, the top edge of the filter would actually be in the frame.  Unless you are shooting with a large aperture telephoto wide open, you will likely record the edge of the filter in your frame.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Can this trick work? LEE FILTER HOLDER SYSTEM
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »

I was going to write up a long answer but I found one on the net..... hope this helps

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/reverse-grad-nd.html

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up