Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One's IQ3 100mp Digital Back - quick opinion  (Read 4583 times)

tcdeveau

Re: Phase One's IQ3 100mp Digital Back - quick opinion
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 01:03:23 pm »

When I moved from the IQ260 to the CMOS back I deliberately chose the cheaper IQ150 as I didn't need nor want the poor WIFI capabilities of the IQ series. I never had much luck with it at all. (I was annoyed however when Phase One decided to provide firmware updates for the IQ2 series but not the IQ1 which in the case of the IQ150 was state of the art).

Regarding the Camranger, it's actually a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 portable router with custom firmware so you'd expect it to perform well.

I recently bought a Camranger but then returned it when I figured this bit out...I should've done a little more research first.  Ordered the TP-Link instead and flashed with some free firmware I found through google.  Getting the firmware on there wasn't as intuitive as it should've been, but it works.  Paired with the DslrDashboard app, it does what I bought the Camranger for with my D810 for a fraction of the price of the Camranger ($40 total for router + app vs $300 for Camranger).  Nice way to add wifi remote capture functionality for for camera some systems. 

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 10:58:18 pm »

I have a device called a camranger. It's commonly used for timelapses, but I use it as a remote iphone trigger for my canon gear at the back of the church when the bride is walking in, and when I'm up the front. It creates a ad hoc wireless, and in my experience is incredibly stable. So given the camranger is a pretty cheapish flimsy thing, i'm surprised the p1 has issues.

Love my Camranger!! Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:10:50 pm by Shrev94412 »
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 01:51:13 am »

Regarding the Camranger, it's actually a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 portable router with custom firmware so you'd expect it to perform well.
[/quote]

Is this a "stand alone" or does it need a modem also?  If Stand alone, then a great solution

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 05:45:28 am »

For a thread about the Phaseone 100mp back it certainly scouts around wether it's a good device for making pictures with, apparently it's rubbish for wifi. ;D
Kevin.

yashima

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:24 am »

I recently bought a Camranger but then returned it when I figured this bit out...I should've done a little more research first.  Ordered the TP-Link instead and flashed with some free firmware I found through google.  Getting the firmware on there wasn't as intuitive as it should've been, but it works.  Paired with the DslrDashboard app, it does what I bought the Camranger for with my D810 for a fraction of the price of the Camranger ($40 total for router + app vs $300 for Camranger).  Nice way to add wifi remote capture functionality for for camera some systems.

Hi, would love to have your instruction on flashing the firmware of the TP Link.

Would this work with Phase One IQ and P+ backs as well?

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:42 pm »

AT&T and others I'm sure make small portable wifi modem-routers producing wifi from cellular signal.  They are very small (about 1.5x2x3/4") using an enclosed rechargeable battery said to last 10 hours between charges, with the only drawback being that you have to add a 2d cell line to your calling plan at $20/mo.  It seems however that using your iPhone as a "personal hot spot" would work the same and allow a network between the IQ back and your iPad or whatever IOS device anywhere there is cell service.  Has anyone tried that? How'd it work.  I've used my iPhone as hotspot often while traveling but never for this purpose, but I'm gong to try it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up