Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few small observations on Hasselblad V-lenses on 4.5 micron pixels  (Read 1031 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

It has been suggested that Hasselblad lenses don't keep up with the new IQ3 100MP back. I of course don't know about that as I neither have a Hasselblad H-system nor an IQ 3-100 MP.

But I have a Hasselblad V system and a TS adapter so I can use the Hasselblad lenses on my Sony A7rII, that has a similar pixel size as the Phase One IQ 3-100MP.

So, shooting the V-lenses on the Sony would deliver a good ground to evaluate V-lens performance on the new sensor. Cover glass may differ, but I don't think those differences are large enough to cause worry with MF glass.

Another thing we can see is what we gain from 100 MP compared to the 39 MP of my P45+. And it is quite a lot. I enclose three actual pixel crops from the Sony A7rII and the Hasselblad V/P45+ combo. Using the same lens. The resolution difference is clearly visible, but it is also pretty clear that there is a lot of aliasing on the P45+ image as the lens outresolves the sensor.

The small pixels on the A7rII are better balanced with the Planar 100/3.5 CF lens used here, and the sensor outresolves the subject, too. On one of the A7rII images there is a clearcut case of monochrome moiré.

Full size images + raws are here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/H_CF_Lenses_on_A7rII/

So, my take is that both Hasselblad V series owners and Hasselblad H-series owners would benefit from the new IQ3-100MP sensor. Quite possible that owners of modern lenses would benefit more. But my impression is that most of the H-series lenses are pretty good.

Obviously, there are sample variations so all lenses are not created equal.

Best regards
Erik

Best regards
Eri
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up