Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street/travel/action shooting camera advice  (Read 631 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Street/travel/action shooting camera advice
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:18:59 pm »

I have been out of the loop on some of the developments in cameras designed for fast paced, on the go documentary style shooting that also perform great in low light. What is the current state of the art and what would be some of the top systems to look at ?
I have used (and still use) a GX7 MFT system as my "pocket" travel camera, a sony A7r for lower light travel shots while on the go, and a 645Z as my main system if I can slow down and put more care into what I'm shooting.

While traveling through Japan I have noticed that some of the most interesting street moments happen in lower light alleys and they also happen very quickly, so what I'm basically looking for is a camera that is a street shooting "robot" with lightning fast autofocus and great burst shooting.

The Nikon D5 seems to fit the bill on paper, but carrying a 645Z and a D5 system is not feasible for the type of travel I do. Are any of the small system cameras even capable of approaching what the D5 can do autofocus wise ? How refined are they ?

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Street/travel/action shooting camera advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:11:57 am »

You can pack a D500 instead of a D5. It has the same autofocus system and should perform very close to it in low light (definitely well enough for documentary style).

As for lenses, it really depends how you shoot. For DX you can get the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 as a compact and fast UWA, pairing it with a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.4 (both very small and light lenses to lug around). For something longer you can grab an 85mm f/1.8, but I don't know how much you'll be able to go long tele in very low light.

If you prefer zooms and you don't need too wide of an angle, you can grab the new Nikkor 16-80 f/2.8-4 and just go with it.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up