Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG + Auto Mask  (Read 1166 times)

James R

DNG + Auto Mask
« on: December 15, 2015, 06:36:53 pm »

I imported some images that were first ingested by Lr and converted to DNG.  Using the adjustment brush (AutoMask was checked) I attempted to mask a portion of the DNG image.  Capture One would not allow using Auto Mask on DNG file format.  Has anybody else experienced this? If so, will this also effect other C1 tools?

Finals question:  Do I need to convert all my DNG images to a different format or is there a work around, keeping in mind, if possible, I don't want to store two different file formats of the same image?   

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:38:40 pm by James R »

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Re: DNG + Auto Mask
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:57:41 pm »

I imported some images that were first ingested by Lr and converted to DNG.  Using the adjustment brush (AutoMask was checked) I attempted to mask a portion of the DNG image.  Capture One would not allow using Auto Mask on DNG file format.  Has anybody else experienced this? If so, will this also effect other C1 tools?

Finals question:  Do I need to convert all my DNG images to a different format or is there a work around, keeping in mind, if possible, I don't want to store two different file formats of the same image?

I wouldn't convert them from DNG to anything. Do you have the original RAW files? That's honestly what I'd use. I've seen many downsides to DNG with non-Adobe programs, they are not a "universal" RAW format but rather an idealized standard pushed by Adobe, that solves few actual problems, and has erratic support by vendors other than Adobe.

Unless the camera shoots DNG natively, I never use it. It is no more archival than the actual RAW files produced by the camera.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 09:36:47 pm »

(Note that 'round these here parts, people don't take too kindly to DNG.  :-X )
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 04:51:00 am »

(Note that 'round these here parts, people don't take too kindly to DNG.  :-X )

Not necessarily, but there just is no free lunch. DNG is nice in an Adobe ecosystem, and one may be confronted with issues elsewhere. Also the suggestion made by some to convert to DNG and toss the camera originals is stupid advice, and can/will come back to bite you.

As to the OP's questions, I do not use DNGs so I couldn't tell if there are issues with auto masking of DNG conversions. I may give it a try later and see what happens.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

James R

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 05:20:49 am »

Thanks for the replies.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:48 am »

As to the OP's questions, I do not use DNGs so I couldn't tell if there are issues with auto masking of DNG conversions. I may give it a try later and see what happens.

I gave it a try, and could not replicate the issue. Automasking works as expected (also on a DNG) on my Windows setup. See the attached example. So if James gets a different result, he should open a support case with Phase One.

Cheers,
Bart

James R

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:29:57 am »

I gave it a try, and could not replicate the issue. Automasking works as expected (also on a DNG) on my Windows setup. See the attached example. So if James gets a different result, he should open a support case with Phase One.

Cheers,
Bart

This was a NEF file uploaded into Lr and then brought into a catalog in Capture One?  If so, then I'll try another image and create a support case.  Thanks Wolf.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:45 am »

This was a NEF file uploaded into Lr and then brought into a catalog in Capture One?  If so, then I'll try another image and create a support case.  Thanks Wolf.

Hi James,

No it was a Canon EOS 5DS R file (the studio scene) I had already downloaded from DPreview earlier. That file was converted with Adobe's DNG converter (should produce the same kind of conversion to DNG as LR does). I then opened it in Capture One Pro 9, in a session but that shouldn't matter, and selected an edge with plenty of contrast to allow to see the auto masking clearly.

It shouldn't matter which Raw type it was originally, after conversion it has become a DNG file from C1's perspective.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up