Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Base media for parchment/kozo  (Read 3166 times)

howardm

Base media for parchment/kozo
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:29:26 am »

I just got some samples from Legion paper of their italian Pergamenata paper which is a 235g machine-made parchment/kozo translucent-ish
paper w/o inkjet coating.

I'm wanting to give it a go and make a custom profile for it.

For those of you who have experience w/ things like that, what do you recommend as a base media (Epson 3880) and any other suggestions?

hugowolf

Re: Base media for parchment/kozo
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:56:05 pm »

I just got some samples from Legion paper of their italian Pergamenata paper which is a 235g machine-made parchment/kozo translucent-ish
paper w/o inkjet coating.

I'm wanting to give it a go and make a custom profile for it.

For those of you who have experience w/ things like that, what do you recommend as a base media (Epson 3880) and any other suggestions?

You might want to look at what Pictorico/Mitsubishi recommend for their thinner washi. Older Epson printers used to have a 'tissue' media type, which was a good starting point for translucent papers.

Brian A
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:01:45 pm by hugowolf »

howardm

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:23:27 am »

Mitsu. recommends Epson Archival Matte.  Moab recommends similar but isn't very specific, any of the 'basic' mattes like Premimum Matte or Ultra Prem Matte.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:54:11 am »

I have printed on the Epson Kozo.  Cool stuff.  I used Epson Archival Matte and it works fine.  Difficult to make prints on though mainly because once you peel the back off of the paper after printing you get backlighting coming through.  This is a paper where you print for the effect and not the accuracy.  I found a washed out look with a tad of saturation in colors looks fantastic.  I have tried a number of mounting solutions.  Favorite is to make a small would frame.  Glue the paper to the frame.  Let dry, moisten paper and it then shrinks tighter on frame and hang in a window where there it has a touch of backlight.  We haven't reported much on this as it is not available in North America.  The paper feels beautiful.  I am making a new framing system that will not involve adhering to a word frame.  Will report on that in the not so distant future.  Also will be printing on the P800 with it soon. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 11:43:27 am »

I have printed on the Epson Kozo.  Cool stuff.  I used Epson Archival Matte and it works fine.  Difficult to make prints on though mainly because once you peel the back off of the paper after printing you get backlighting coming through.  This is a paper where you print for the effect and not the accuracy.  I found a washed out look with a tad of saturation in colors looks fantastic.  I have tried a number of mounting solutions.  Favorite is to make a small would frame.  Glue the paper to the frame.  Let dry, moisten paper and it then shrinks tighter on frame and hang in a window where there it has a touch of backlight.  We haven't reported much on this as it is not available in North America.  The paper feels beautiful.  I am making a new framing system that will not involve adhering to a word frame.  Will report on that in the not so distant future.  Also will be printing on the P800 with it soon.

Kevin, where did you source your Epson Kozo???  I'm having a difficult time finding it.
Regards,
Ron

howardm

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:12:12 pm »

He must have a secret source or has it shipped from Europe.  I can't believe Epson USA decided to not bring it here.

The paper I'm using is a 'mock' parchment tht comes in a variety of weights like 110, 160 and 235 in regular and pearl. 
Kinda neat.  will be interesting to see how it works w/ inkjets.

howardm

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »

initial attempt at printing a target:  total failure

bleeding all over the place and other problems.   

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:59:04 pm »

initial attempt at printing a target:  total failure

bleeding all over the place and other problems.

Uncoated paper is definitely problematic with aqueous pigment inks. Without the ink receptive layer, dot gain will depend a lot on how it is sized. If it is waterleaf (unsized), then you have no chance.

Brian A

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 06:12:40 pm »

I have been making some inquiries on this topic.  I'll let you know what I find about a source for the paper.  This video might be of interest  https://youtu.be/OO4wjlCw-HE

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

howardm

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 07:22:24 am »

I found these descriptions but I'm not a paper geek ;)   It talks about the surface being 'well-sealed' and appropriate for inks for plastics or oxiditive (sp?) drying process.  I think this experiment is not gonna fly :(

[size=0pt]Pergamenata [/size][size=0pt](Vegetable Parchment) is a modern grease and water resistant paper made by passing unsized paper through sulfuric acid to gelatinize the surface. This machine made paper is slightly translucent and meant to simulate the look of traditional parchment. [/size]

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 09:40:32 am »

If you are interested in ordering the Epson Japanese Kozo paper please contact Gary Cornell at garywornell@gmail.com.  He'll help you out.  Information is at https://www.epson.de/de/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/13597.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

huguito

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 01:11:10 am »

Anyone tried already the papers from Moab?

They have a Kozo, that's 110grams, and another with a very lovely but really heavy textured called Unryu that's very translucent and only 55 grams

I have a few sheets of the Unryu and plan to profile it soon. Feel very light and delicate, but at the same time really strong to pulling on it.

I wonder how much the texture would interfere or enhance the image.

I will report after profiling it and a couple of test prints.

Kingsley

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 10:26:25 am »

I'm more impressed with the Epson paper than the other Washi's.  Currently it isn't in USA or Australia, but I get mine either from:

Amazon Spain:
17" http://www.amazon.es/Epson-Japanese-Kozo-Paper-Thin/dp/B00GD4KLWE
or
24" http://www.amazon.es/Epson-Japanese-Kozo-Paper-Thin/dp/B00GD4KMU0/ref=pd_sim_229_1/280-3372172-6102652?ie=UTF8&dpID=415AQiz0eEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1477B32Y1GSNRD6QGX4G   

or Amazon Germany
17" http://www.amazon.de/EPSON-Japanese-Kozo-Paper-Thin/dp/B00GD4KLWE/ref=pd_sim_229_1/278-7879800-0195545?ie=UTF8&dpID=41T4sy52J5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1113QABWCQJGNC8XF12P

24" http://www.amazon.de/EPSON-Japanese-Kozo-Paper-Thin/dp/B00GD4KMU0

Depending on the exchange rate of the day I will buy from one or the other.  Usually I buy two or more rolls at a time. 

Now here is where you can help.  I have been in contact with Gary Warnell, the guy that developed this paper with Epson Europe, and on his suggestion I have pestered Epson Australia to get it, and eventually I got Epson Australia to talk with Epson Europe and they are getting some in about two weeks. I'd really like to help Gary promote or at least encourage Epson to make it available in all markets, so the request I would make is that the more you email or contact Epson USA it will be more likely they will get it directly in.   

So if you can send them an email so we can get it directly in the USA as well.

deanwork

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 09:03:22 pm »

Yes the Moab is rebranded Awagami. Awagami in Japan told me that.

I've used the Natural Thick Kozo and the Bizan, and tested all of them and they are all great, but like the Kozo and the Kozo double layer the best.

But I prefer to buy the straight Awagami from Freestyle - http://www.freestylephoto.biz/category/9-Paper/Inkjet-Paper?mfg%5B0%5D=283&page=2

Anyone tried already the papers from Moab?

They have a Kozo, that's 110grams, and another with a very lovely but really heavy textured called Unryu that's very translucent and only 55 grams

I have a few sheets of the Unryu and plan to profile it soon. Feel very light and delicate, but at the same time really strong to pulling on it.

I wonder how much the texture would interfere or enhance the image.

I will report after profiling it and a couple of test prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up