Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating to Capture One Pro 9  (Read 5288 times)

The View

Updating to Capture One Pro 9
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:15:32 am »

I'm going to update to Capture One Pro 9 tomorrow.

Two questions:

1. Shall I remove Capture One Pro 8 completely - and then install 9? I read that installing on top of an old version can cause problems.

2. What about the new processing engine and the images processed by  v8? Will they update automatically, or do I have to do something to do that, like selecting the folder they are in or selecting the frame?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Updating to Capture One Pro 9
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:28:42 am »

Since this is the first version that doesn't just say "Capture One" in the title and actually has the version number, it will not automatically write over your older versions. As a matter of computing policy, you should never overwrite an older program with one you have never used, just in case there are any incompatibilites or bugs that you can't live with. You always want to be able to go back to what you know works. As far as the processing engine goes, it appears to be like previous upgrades - images that were captured with older versions will need to be updated but images captured with v9 should automatically use the new engine. That's what I think the behavior seems to be doing, but just double-check it to be sure.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:57:08 am »

Interesting point that you bring up. If we shoot with 9, but need to revert back to 8, what happens?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:07:09 am »

Interesting point that you bring up. If we shoot with 9, but need to revert back to 8, what happens?

Hi Phil,

Besides the (theoretical?) 'need' to revert to any lower version of software, there is always a loss of functionality. So one has to recreate the required settings for a specific file for it to have the old 'quality' again, unless an older backup or the settings is used.

I've never had to do it myself, but I assume that a dialog would signal that an incompatible engine was used for the conversion engine, and a conversion/update of the parameters is required (which would then lose any of the improvements).

In rare situations, I suppose one could use a cloned variant and update that to the new engine, and leave the original unchanged. That would give two versions side by side. But keeping an older version backup to be used by the older version of the software may be more efficient. The Raw filedata itself remains untouched, so it's mainly parameters and settings that need saving.

But again, I've never had to do that, so it's a bit theoretical. I certainly do not want to lower the quality of my conversions to that of earlier versions.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

maarten

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:33:30 am »

I never keep the older version, the idea is that the newest version has maximum support  8).

btw. C1Pro 9 is installed on my mac and is running great since the beginning. So no worries.
Maarten

The View

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 02:01:48 pm »

Since this is the first version that doesn't just say "Capture One" in the title and actually has the version number, it will not automatically write over your older versions. As a matter of computing policy, you should never overwrite an older program with one you have never used, just in case there are any incompatibilites or bugs that you can't live with. You always want to be able to go back to what you know works. As far as the processing engine goes, it appears to be like previous upgrades - images that were captured with older versions will need to be updated but images captured with v9 should automatically use the new engine. That's what I think the behavior seems to be doing, but just double-check it to be sure.

So it will install parallel to the Capture One Pro 8 Version? And then we have to unlicense that version and delete it?

Or did you first delete v8 and then install v9?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »

Yes, C1 9 will install parallel to C1 8. The license in C1 8 needs to be manually deactivated.

One note about license activations: The three seats available in C1 9 are only for the buy version. If you subscribe you get only 2 as before.

The View

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:41:25 pm »

Yes, C1 9 will install parallel to C1 8. The license in C1 8 needs to be manually deactivated.

One note about license activations: The three seats available in C1 9 are only for the buy version. If you subscribe you get only 2 as before.

Thanks, Francisco.

Do you know about the updating of older RAW files through the new processing engine? Do you know when or how this happens?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:56:21 pm »

Do you know about the updating of older RAW files through the new processing engine? Do you know when or how this happens?

Any raw file that you imported / processed in C1 8 will stay in the previous processing engine. When you display a file you will see the option to upgrade in the Base characteristics dialog as in the attached image. Once you convert you cannot go back.
I do not know if there is a way to do a multiple file conversion.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 05:04:38 am »

Any raw file that you imported / processed in C1 8 will stay in the previous processing engine. When you display a file you will see the option to upgrade in the Base characteristics dialog as in the attached image. Once you convert you cannot go back.

Hi Frank,

That's correct, older engine rendering versions are only updated when the user gives the instruction to do so. If someone for some reason (e.g. comparison) wants to keep an older engine version of an image, one can just make a Clone variant, and only update the clone to the new engine. One could Keyword or Color-code those older engine versions, so after a while it is easy to find and (selectively) delete them.

Cheers,
Bart

The View

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 12:22:42 pm »

Thanks, Francisco.

And for the old Capture One Pro 8 - I'd simply disable the license and delete it AFTER I upgraded to v9, correct?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 01:26:23 pm »

And for the old Capture One Pro 8 - I'd simply disable the license and delete it AFTER I upgraded to v9, correct?

Hi,

My routine (also for updates) is to deactivate and uninstall the old version first. Because I still have the installation/setup file for it, I can always re-install it. Then install the new version, activate with its (new) activation code, and enjoy.

Cheers,
Bart

aibley

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »

I have been using Capture One Pro 8. I have just purchased Pro 9. Why do I need to uninstall Pro8? What happens to all the images held in my Pro 8 Catalogs?
Sorry if this is silly question?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:27:04 pm »

I have just purchased Pro 9. Why do I need to uninstall Pro8? What happens to all the images held in my Pro 8 Catalogs?

You are not required to uninstall Pro 8 but you will have to consider if it really makes sense.

- The catalog structure is different, so you will need to upgrade it (them). You will not be able to use a catalog from version 8 in version 9 and vice-versa. (The upgrade process generates a backup anyway)

- In version 9 you can keep a variant of your images in the old processing engine.

- Each instance requires a license, so by having 2 versions you are using two licenses

aibley

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 09:11:04 pm »

Thanks for your help. Presumably if I wish to access my Pro 8 Catalogs I need to upgrade before uninstalling Pro 8?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 10:53:43 pm »

if I wish to access my Pro 8 Catalogs I need to upgrade before uninstalling Pro 8?

It really does not matter when you uninstall Pro 8. C1 Pro 9 will create a backup and convert any catalog you open with it (it will ask for confirmation).

Installing / uninstalling the program does not delete or modify the existing catalogues. The only thing you cannot do is to open a version 9 catalog in C1 8

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up