Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Platen Gap Adjust Problem when using the ImagePrint RIP with the Epson SC P-800  (Read 1776 times)

paulbb1942@gmail.com

I purchased an Epson SC P-800 about a month ago after my Epson 3800 developed a fatal head clog. Since I had been using ColorByte Software’s ImagePrint RIP on the 3800 with good results, I upgraded to their latest version which “supports” the P800. However, I’ve run into what looks like a fairly significant problem. The ImagePrint RIP does not (and never did) provide control of the platen gap setting. With the 3800 this was not a problem because this setting could be made via the printer’s front panel. In the case of the P800 Epson appears to have removed this front panel control (it’s still available in the Photoshop/Windows/OSX drivers so using these isn’t a problem when the gap needs to be adjusted because of head strikes). ColorByte  Software has responded by saying their only control of the distance between the platen and the paper is via picking the paper type in their application, so just pick a thicker paper. My first question is:  am I correct in assuming that this is totally inadequate? My second question is: has the platen gap adjustment been removed from the P800’s front panel as I’m assuming – I certainly can’t find it.

hugowolf

The platen gap is tied to the paper thickness setting. And the driver settings for platen gap override anything you set on the printer's console, except the 'widest' setting which only available from the printer and overrides the driver.

Brian A

ThirstyDursty

The platen gap is tied to the paper thickness setting. And the driver settings for platen gap override anything you set on the printer's console, except the 'widest' setting which only available from the printer and overrides the driver.

Brian A

I did not know this. Thank you

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography

Have you actually experienced problems with the platen gap, or are you asking for general information?

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up