Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import without moving file  (Read 3968 times)

Jens Peermann

Import without moving file
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:12:24 pm »

Is it possible to import images without copying their files into a different folder? I.e. keeping them in the folder they're currently in and just adding the image to the catalog.

Alun

Re: Import without moving file
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:50:07 pm »

Yes Jens - in the Import dialog second section down called "Import To" in the dropdown box called "Store Files" just choose "Current Location"

The View

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:47 pm »

Yes, I do this all the time as I don't import through C1 - C1 doesn't allow me to apply my naming rules so I import using Canon's camera window.

You go to FILE and then IMPORT IMAGES.

This should open up a window where you navigate to the file and click OK.

There is also an item in the opening window where you can select "current location".
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:08:32 pm »

Yes, I do this all the time as I don't import through C1 - C1 doesn't allow me to apply my naming rules so I import using Canon's camera window.

Hi,

As the saying goes, all (or many) roads lead to Rome, but I'm curious. What naming convention do you use that cannot be achieved by C1?

Cheers,
Bart

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:40:10 pm »

Is it possible to import images without copying their files into a different folder? I.e. keeping them in the folder they're currently in and just adding the image to the catalog.

Yes. The Lightroom import options are shown below as screen captures from the import dialog. The copy option is normally chosen when copying images from the camera's memory card. One has to choose a destination. The second option, move, moves the images from the current location to a selected location. The option you want is add. This leaves the images where they are and adds them to the catalog.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:44:55 pm by bjanes »

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:17:38 pm »

I don't use C1 for importing either because of file naming.  I use the Julian date as part of my filename and C1 doesn't have it as a token. I've requested this, but nothing yet. I use YY + Julian Date to give me a unique, daily prefix that only takes up 7 characters instead of 8 using YYMMDD. I hate long filenames that show up as 153.....nef. I'd also like C1 to simply take the last four digits of the original filename "_DSC1234" > "1234", but it will only take the entire original filename.
Mike Guilbault

Jens Peermann

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:17:49 pm »

Yes Jens - in the Import dialog second section down called "Import To" in the dropdown box called "Store Files" just choose "Current Location"

Thanks Alun. That is exactly what I was looking for but never saw it. Even though it's the first option right on top. Embarrassing indeed. But at least now I know where it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up