Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The state of all thing LR  (Read 7245 times)

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Re: The state of all thing LR
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »

I've had issues updating LR every time an update is released. Get message like "cannot reach update server". Or update file corrupt. Online chat says offers usual help like "make sure you are connected to the internet (how do they think I'm using chat?), reboot your router, thid usually ends with the really helpful "use another internet server to update. On one occasion spent an hour removing and reinstalling various pars of Adobe's update software and finally got the update to work. Same steps failed next time.
Best bet is to to the direct update site at Adobe
Direct download
You might have to download the trial version of Photoshop elements to make things work (don't ask why).
I don't know why Abobe's help people don't point you to the direct download page when you have problems with the Creative Cloud update manager.
All in all the Adobe update process is just worse (for me) than updating any other software.
Les

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 07:46:14 pm »

... Adobe seems to get WORSE...!

Steve

I have had few issues with Photoshop, including CC, since starting with CS4. I have had some major issues when first updating to LR 3 and 4, which sort of got sorted out eventually, more less by about the time they were ready for the next major update. Have had no major issues with LR 5, 6 or CC, although these were with a newer machine. Fortunately, I didn't do the LR CC update that caused all the fuss, and I hope that has largely been straightened out now, because I need to update to get an improved profile for one of my lenses. Have only had recourse to Adobe customer service help occasionally, but don't recall any major problems, though I don't think they were ever able to completely solve the problems with very slow performance I got when updating to LR3 and 4, which possibly could have been solved with a newer machine, though I don't think the machine I had at the time (2009 iMac with 8 gigs of RAM) was old enough, or insufficiently spec'd enough, to explain the very poor performance I experienced.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »

I can empathize with paying for something and not getting the service or satisfaction expected – it certainly seems to be frequent enough these days with the rush to get something new out – but I'll add my voice to the "no problem here" camp. Updated to stand-alone 6 despite the link not being obvious on the Adobe site (really, it's not), but the update from 5.7 to 6 was otherwise seamless.

Yes, some users have had trouble, and the numbers who do seem to have grown, but I think we're still hearing from the vocal minority.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

chez

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 11:41:56 am »

I have to agree with John.  The problem is that we always hear about negative experiences and seldom from those who have had positive experiences or encountered no problems at all.  I've been on Stand Alone LR6 since it came out and have had no difficulties at all.  I'm sympathetic to those who have encountered them but when we get apocalyptic posts about the Adobe world coming to an end, my eyes glaze over.

Part of what is wrong with the Internet is the incessant whining from a small number of individuals.  I know this is harsh but that's how I see it.  LuLa has always been a welcoming place for those who need help resolving problems and that's the model to return to.

Alan

I totally agree...usually all the "whining" and some of it is justified, is done by a very few minority vocals on the various forums. The vast majority just carry on using the product.

davidedric

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »

If one has a mission critical application and updates to a new release as soon as it appears.......  I am truly sorry if your business has been impacted, but to have put yourself on the bleeding edge seems very strange to me.  If you have been working ok to date, it seems very unlikely there would have been must haves in the release.

FWIW, I upgraded a Win 7 system a couple of weeks ago.  No issues so far.

Dave

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 06:00:15 pm »

The whining is getting so very incredibly way over the highest skyscraper on top of the highest hill on top of the highest mountain top now.
If LR is so bad then just stop using it.
Simple.

It's getting really fricken old now.
Jeesh..
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

ButchM

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »

The whining is getting so very incredibly way over the highest skyscraper on top of the highest hill on top of the highest mountain top now.
If LR is so bad then just stop using it.
Simple.

It's getting really fricken old now.
Jeesh..

If the 'whining' is such a massive inconvenience to your life ... just who is it that is punishing you by forcing you to read it all?

I know when I find a topic or content of discussion truly annoying, I stop reading it and move on to something I do find more worthy. The absence of a point of view on an internet forum may bring you some level of consolation ... but the silence is only truly golden if it is a topic you take little interest in. What if others sought to silence your views on subjects you happen to find worthy? Should you become silent to relieve their discomfort?

To me ... whining about whining ... is just more whining ...

Besides .... if it were not for all the whining, Lr would look very different today. Unless of course you were one of the few that had an appreciation for the loss of features in the 'improved' Import dialog ... not to mention that it was't until after many months of 'whining' that Adobe reduced the price of Ps CC from $20 to $10 per month and threw in Lr for extra measure ...

Good thing all those folks didn't remain silent just to appease your concerns.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 07:02:12 pm »

And whining about justified complaints is,  ... selfish.

Exactly, and without some justified push-back, things would only deteriorate faster than they already do.

Cheers
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

chez

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 07:17:58 pm »

If the 'whining' is such a massive inconvenience to your life ... just who is it that is punishing you by forcing you to read it all?

I know when I find a topic or content of discussion truly annoying, I stop reading it and move on to something I do find more worthy. The absence of a point of view on an internet forum may bring you some level of consolation ... but the silence is only truly golden if it is a topic you take little interest in. What if others sought to silence your views on subjects you happen to find worthy? Should you become silent to relieve their discomfort?

Besides .... if it were not for all the whining, Lr would look very different today. Unless of course you were one of the few that had an appreciation for the loss of features in the 'improved' Import dialog ... not to mention that it was't until after many months of 'whining' that Adobe reduced the price of Ps CC from $20 to $10 per month and threw in Lr for extra measure ...

Yes Butch...and whining about whining about whining...is guess what...more whining. Congrats.

ButchM

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 07:20:58 pm »

Yes Butch...and whining about whining about whining...is guess what...more whining. Congrats.

There is a distinct difference chez, I'm not complaining about the whining or attempting to silence anyone ... I was merely pointing out the irony of the comment.

Hoggy

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 07:56:22 pm »

Lighten up and don't take everything so seriously people.  Far more important things out there.
That is all.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:06:21 pm by Hoggy »

Hoggy

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 08:11:17 pm »

Damn straight!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up