Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Canson Platine  (Read 3900 times)

stockjock

Cutting Canson Platine
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »

Some time ago I mentioned a problem my framer was having mounting Canson Platine on Gatorboard and then trimming the print.  He was getting a lot of flaking and ragged edges.  Ultimately, we decided to laminate the print and then cut it which solved the problem but also got away from the surface I wanted to achieve.  I attributed those problems with his lack of experience mounting fine art papers.

But, now I am experimenting with mounting my prints on Gatorboard myself, and I have discovered I have exactly the same problem.  I have only tried it with the Canson Platine so far so I don't know if I have a problem with my technique or if this is simply a property of the coating and rag paper on the Platine.  I printed my image slightly larger than the Gatorboard and had a 1/2" white margin.  I mounted the print to the Gatorboard and then put the mounted print face down on a cutting mat and with a fresh blade I trimmed the excess paper off by running the blade along the edge of the board in a single pass.  When I turned the print over I saw areas of flaking and ragged paper fibers along the cut edges.  I lightly ran a sanding block over the edge of the paper and that took care of the flaking and ragged fibers but also left some whiteness on the edge but maybe a finer grade of paper and better technique would fix that?

Anyhow, I would appreciate any input some of the experienced printers here can offer.  It may just be that I should use an RC paper like the Canson Photosatin Premium RC 270.  I am doing a show of 30x40" mounted but unglazed prints so it isn't like I am worried about having the most archival paper.  But I have been very happy with the Canson Platine for my personal printing.  The other choice may be to have a mat surface using the Canson Rag Photographique but I haven't tested how that cuts yet.

Thanks,

Paul

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
Re: Cutting Canson Platine
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 04:44:52 am »

Hi Paul
I have experienced similar problems with Platine.Now i use only Hahnemuehle archival papers.
In my opinion Photorag Baryta is similar to Canson Platine and I never had this kind of problems
with this paper,that I like very much.
Hope this help.
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:56:56 am »

Hi Paul
I have experienced similar problems with Platine.Now i use only Hahnemuehle archival papers.
In my opinion Photorag Baryta is similar to Canson Platine and I never had this kind of problems
with this paper,that I like very much.
Hope this help.
The paperbase of photorag baryta is far more yellow - but i agree it is a beautiful paper.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

howardm

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:39:15 am »

My limited understanding of it is that Platine uses a 'white carbon black' kind of layer/surface which, for a cooking metaphor,
is like Creme Brulee which has a super thin top layer that cracks/shatters when pressure is applied. 

Beautiful surface but a bi*ch to deal with if edges are exposed.

gigdagefg

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:31:24 am »

I really like this paper..my framer hasn't complained
Stanley

stockjock

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:32:00 pm »

My limited understanding of it is that Platine uses a 'white carbon black' kind of layer/surface which, for a cooking metaphor,
is like Creme Brulee which has a super thin top layer that cracks/shatters when pressure is applied. 

Beautiful surface but a bi*ch to deal with if edges are exposed.

That seems an apt metaphor.  Last week I was loading a previously used 24" roll which I had wrapped with a band of paper sealed with removable blue painters tape onto my Canon iPF8400.  Very briefly, that tape accidentally touched the surface of the Platine and tore off a 1x1.5" patch off the coating.  Not only is it thin and brittle but it doesn't seem to be that well adhered to the paper substrate.

I love the prints I get with Canson Platine but it is starting to look like I need to find a new "standard" paper.  Not much point in slaving away making perfect 17x22" prints for my personal enjoyment if I can't use that same paper for larger prints when I get a show.  Obviously, all of this is a non-issue if you are matting the prints or framing it to the edge of the paper, but personally I really enjoy how my prints look mounted to the edge and either floated in a frame or simply hung mounted on the wall.  (And I do understand the various archival issues that style of display raises.)

mikiphoto.bo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:52:05 am »

Size your print with a cutter over a plate of tempered glass.

stockjock

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 03:32:06 am »

Size your print with a cutter over a plate of tempered glass.

I haven't been able to procure a piece of glass large enough to try on my real prints but on the test prints I've tried cutting on the glass actually seems to make a very big difference.  Thanks for the tip.  I guess the super hard surface stops the coating from separating from the rag paper?

enduser

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:28 pm »

There are blades, and blades.  Somr are much sharper than others.  The best we've found are those from Logan and Martor, way sharper than the average box cutter.  The "attack" angle also has some bearing on getting a satisfactory cut.

stockjock

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 10:11:15 pm »

There are blades, and blades.  Somr are much sharper than others.  The best we've found are those from Logan and Martor, way sharper than the average box cutter.  The "attack" angle also has some bearing on getting a satisfactory cut.

The blade could certainly be a factor.  I've been using very generic box cutter type blades.  I imagine the old double sided razor blades might be the sharpest of all but I'm not aware of a safe way to hold those though I'm sure somebody, somewhere invented a holder for them.

stockjock

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 05:13:01 am »

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:14:53 am »

FWIW: I've been working with Platine (rag) and gatorboard off and on for about six months. I truly like the paper texture, but it can be a bear to work with. I've found that Logan blades cut the mounted paper nicely provided that they are (1) used only once [twice if you dare] and (2) care is taken to angle the blade properly to the paper. In my experience, a very shallow angle is best for achieving a clean edge. That said I don't attempt any cuts if the humidity is above 45-50%, as that paper swells making cutting all the more challenging. YMMV.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 04:44:31 am »

The other choice may be to have a mat surface using the Canson Rag Photographique but I haven't tested how that cuts yet.

Hi Paul

My experience is that the Rag Photographique cuts nicely and without the issues you described with the Platine. From a finishing/handling point of view, this is a nice paper to work with (and it's my current favourite matte paper on an Epson SC-P800).
I've struggled with other papers in the same way as you. Baryta papers caused me headaches with regards to cutting, with slightly varying severeness across brands.

Cheers
Christian
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »

I use Platine for my personal work with prints up 30x40, and a lot in the 22x28 size and have them mounted to diabond and and framed with no matts. I just don't have a problem. I love the resolution of this paper and the texture and white point are perfect. If I were to switch though it would be to the new Hahnemuhle Satin Baryta that is super close in all respects and not as textured as Photorag Baryta or Photorag Pearl.

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up