Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

ImagePrint or i1Pro 2?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Ferp:
Stephan - My understanding is that ImagePrint allows you to print create your own profiles should you wish.  You have to print the charts using ImagePrint, but thereafter you scan and create the profiles the normal way.  Have you ever created your own profiles for ImagePrint, and then compared them with those supplied with ImagePrint? 

HumptyDumpty:
Thank you guys, this was helpful!

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: Ferp on November 25, 2015, 07:47:29 am ---Stephan - My understanding is that ImagePrint allows you to print create your own profiles should you wish.  You have to print the charts using ImagePrint, but thereafter you scan and create the profiles the normal way.  Have you ever created your own profiles for ImagePrint, and then compared them with those supplied with ImagePrint?

--- End quote ---
That's correct (at least back in V6, the last copy I owned). You can build your own and I found them better than the supplied profiles. At least at the time, the IP profiles had the annoying habit of blues shifting magenta.

PeterAit:

--- Quote from: HumptyDumpty on November 23, 2015, 08:15:19 pm ---My goal is to get best print quality possible. That is why I was considering going beyond paper manufacturer profiles and I am hearing ImagePrint takes that up even further.

--- End quote ---

I have never seen anything to come even close to convincing me that custom/homemade profiles offer any advantage. They may well give different results from the paper manufacturer profiles, but different does not mean better - it just means different. Of course the photographer who puts a lot of time and money into custom profiles will be psychologically inclined to prefer them! That's just human nature. And given the huge vested interest that Epson, Canson, etc. have in photographers getting great prints from their papers, and their ability to afford the best profile-making equipment, is it likely that you or "Joe Shmoe's Custom Profiles" can do better?

You want to make better prints? Work at it. See as many original prints as you can, at galleries, museums, and so on (web images don't count). Take a workshop. Sit at your computer and make print after print after print, compare them, figure out what works and what doesn't.

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: PeterAit on November 25, 2015, 05:07:18 pm ---I have never seen anything to come even close to convincing me that custom/homemade profiles offer any advantage. They may well give different results from the paper manufacturer profiles, but different does not mean better - it just means different.

--- End quote ---
Sorry man, that's simply not the case. Here's a prefect example: Epson canned profile vs. custom. These are photo's of actual prints made on a P600. The only difference is the profile, both using RelCol. Night and day:
Look at the mapping of blues, examine the dynamic range and lack thereof from the Epson profile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version