Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why squeeze that shutter  (Read 8908 times)

stamper

Re: Why squeeze that shutter
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 04:08:46 am »

I'm with you to an extent. I certainly don't blaze away like I once did, but as has been pointed out with landscape we may not know which moment was the best until after it has passed. So I try to catch as many of the potential best moments as I can, and then pick the best later. With digital it's nice to be able to do this and then just delete the ones that were only ended up being "potentially best".

Agreed!

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 10:32:50 am »

With reference to Miss Piggy being ever Miss Piggy, regardless of makeup and Cartier's, Van Cleef & Arpels' best efforts, I can only refer you all to Mr Frank Horvat's advice:

"Photography is the art of not pressing the button."

http://www.horvatland.com/WEB/main.htm

Save yourself pain and much fruitless effort.

Alternatively, think of your digi wonder as an 8x10 camera, and that you are about to expose a sheet of Ektachrome or Velvia, or whatever the hell still remains today. If you consider the shot worth the expense of film and processing, then hold your breath and shoot the digi frame. If not, don't bother.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 05:12:57 am »

Once I think the moment is right, I'll often press the button a couple of times in case of random effects (I'm a statistician, after all).

However I rarely bring back more than 50 images, and I delete mercilessly. I would typically keep from 0 to 10. The rest, I delete from the machine: I just don't want to hang on to mediocre images, so I'm a bit amused by people who want to stack up TB's of external HDD's archiving everything they ever clicked at. Maybe one day I'll regret it, who knows? It's what works for me now.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 09:32:00 am »

An advantage of keeping not such brilliant shots is that you then have bits you might be able to use later on - if you can remember them well enough. It can be fun combining images too...

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 10:01:24 am »

Alternatively, think of your digi wonder as an 8x10 camera, and that you are about to expose a sheet of Ektachrome or Velvia,

Or you are André Kertesz, you've been sent to cover the arrival of a train returning PoW's to Paris at the end of WW2. Due to scarcity, you have one 20-frame roll of film...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up