Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: maximum print size?  (Read 2759 times)

pedrotti

maximum print size?
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:01:16 pm »

I would like to know if images taken with the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N in Raw can be used for Billboard size? Poster size? Bus stop Print size Or A1 size...... if so what process would that particular camera have to go through? i.e is it just set on raw then click the image then upload on computer then print........ Thanks...

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
maximum print size?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:07:06 am »

The question is not that simple as a poster probably is a lot more demanding than a billboard simply because it is viewed from a closer position. A few years ago many top quality billboards were done with a 2mp or 3mp Coolpix. Billboards are typically printed at 10 or 15 dpi, 20 at most, so a 2mp image might go to 10 or 15 feet with no problem. This is more than adequate since they are viewed at a distance. I've even seen 1mp images printed 2 feet by 3 feet that were stunning from 8 or 10 feet away. Of course in general the more pixels the better but here's an example of a 3 foot by 4 foot poster I did from a ~2mp crop from a 1D shot. This was for the back of a trade show booth and from the 8 foot or so viewing distance that the customer was at it left absolutely nothing to be desired and the vendor received many comments and wows about the quality.

So bottom line, it's all relative to viewing distance and proper technique, but a 1DII should be able to easily handle any of these for ordinary purposes, although of course not showing the same detail or bearing as close examination as a similar print from a digital back. Where it might fall down is doing a large mural in a gallery where it may be viewed from a close position.

There also is a big subjective factor as to what your expectations are, what you consider acceptible, and the nature of the image. I've seen many 6 foot film prints in galleries priced at several thousand dollars where I'm sure the  technical quality could easily be exceeded by a similar shot/print from a camera such as the 1DII, but that didn't seem to deter the artist, gallery, or purchasers.

- DL
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:27:01 am by dlashier »

Geoff Wittig

maximum print size?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:40:36 am »

It depends on the nature of the image and how much quality you want. If you're carefully examining a print from 6" away, you can get good results from this camera's 8 megapixels up-rezed to 240-300 dpi at a size of perhaps 12x18" with an image containing lots of fine detail, like a distant forest in a landscape. With very careful sharpening technique you might even get to 20x30" before digital artifacts start to become objectionable. On the other hand, for images dominated by large areas of bold color and smooth textures (I always think of Pete Turner's neon yellow & red beach trash can shot), you can go a lot bigger and still get results that look good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up