Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concrete bench, Jamaica Pond, Boston  (Read 931 times)

marcgoldring

Concrete bench, Jamaica Pond, Boston
« on: October 24, 2015, 06:54:14 am »

I find myself playing with more intimate "landscapes," ones that I see all the time but don't really see. I love the incongruity of this bench of concrete surrounded by a softer, natural world. As an image, though, I'm not sure the bench is a sufficiently prominent feature. Maybe it doesn't matter.  Thoughts?

Marco
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:56:45 am by marcgoldring »
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

Tony Jay

Re: Concrete bench, Jamaica Pond, Boston
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 07:48:27 am »

Marco this is a good image but I am not sure that the contrasting elements that you refer to really do give the interpretation you seek.
Perhaps a different composition may achieve it?
Nonetheless I commend your thought process!

I will be fascinated to see what other think.

Tony jay

marcgoldring

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:58:39 am »

Yes, there is subtlety to perhaps the vanishing point. I am seeing the contrast in natural/industrial materials and hard/soft edges and lines. But this image may not convey that strongly. That notwithstanding, I do enjoy the image overall. (Wouldn't post it otherwise...)

Marco
Marc Goldring

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:05:28 am »

Marc,

I find both of the Jamaica Pond photos you've posted quite appealing.
Having whizzed by many times on Boston's worst death trap (the Jamaicaway), I am struck by the serenity both of them display. I'll have to stop there on foot, with camera soon.

The bench with trees behind it feels very "Olmstead" to me, since similar benches are scattered throughout the "Emerald Necklace."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mkihne

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:25:51 pm »

I find myself playing with more intimate "landscapes," ones that I see all the time but don't really see. I love the incongruity of this bench of concrete surrounded by a softer, natural world. As an image, though, I'm not sure the bench is a sufficiently prominent feature. Maybe it doesn't matter.  Thoughts?

Marco

Regarding the bench photo:

Using rule of thirds it might be interesting to discard the top third and left third roughly and see if your vision is preserved. Maybe even left third only. I see interesting diagonals which still convey to me man made vs nature although the softness you were looking for might be challenged. Also or in addition to your vision that crop might make a nice B&W image, depending on how your tonal values work out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:28:38 pm by mkihne »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:01 am »

There is a storey here, but to me the bench is too far away. Perhaps shooting it a bit closer? Then the contrast between it and the tree trunks would be more visible.

marcgoldring

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:02:26 am »

Thanks for the helpful/thoughtful comments. One advantage of shooting locally - I'll go back and try some of your ideas.

All best,

Marco
Marc Goldring
Pages: [1]   Go Up