Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Platine, Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss, Innova Warmtone Gloss, Museo Silver Rag  (Read 2520 times)

HumptyDumpty

Hi guys, I've been lurking around here for a while, finally got lightly used Epson 3880 and are now trying to select some papers for it.

I am trying to decide between Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag and Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss. Also between Innova FibaPrint Warmtone Gloss (IFA-19) and Museo Silver Rag.

To my inexperienced eyes sample sheets I have in front of me seem practically identical. To me Canson seems identical to Ilford and Innova seems identical to Museo.

I tried searching did somebody compare them but I couldn't find anything. So I was wondering could anybody here help me choosing between them, knows how they stack up.

Humpty

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

The only way to really know whether you like a paper is to make prints with it and see for yourself how you like it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hugowolf

Well three of the papers are cotton and the Innova isn't.

I haven't seen the Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss yet, but I have heard it isn't a true gloss. I have used the Canson Platine and the Museo Silver Rag, they are both very good papers. Platine has some problems with debris on the surface, and needs to be brushed before use.

Brian A

HumptyDumpty

The only way to really know whether you like a paper is to make prints with it and see for yourself how you like it.

That's what I too thought initially but then reminded myself being inexperienced I wouldn't know what to look for  :-[

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com

You could try printing some test images on they various papers. That would probably confirm that your printer is behaving as it should. It's hard to find a bad paper these days. As you point out, you don't know what you don't know. There's a whole lot more to it than selecting a paper. Have you looked at the Camera to Print and Screen videos?

More than anything, it's practice. At this point, paper is not your greatest challenge.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

HumptyDumpty

Well three of the papers are cotton and the Innova isn't.

I haven't seen the Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss yet, but I have heard it isn't a true gloss. I have used the Canson Platine and the Museo Silver Rag, they are both very good papers. Platine has some problems with debris on the surface, and needs to be brushed before use.

Brian A

I don't know enough about papers to know is Innova not being cotton a bad thing and why  :-[

I don't understand what you mean with Ilford not being "true gloss". If you mean it's not glossy like Epson Glossy that's correct. It looks like Epson Semi-Gloss or Luster to me.

HumptyDumpty

You could try printing some test images on they various papers. That would probably confirm that your printer is behaving as it should. It's hard to find a bad paper these days. As you point out, you don't know what you don't know. There's a whole lot more to it than selecting a paper. Have you looked at the Camera to Print and Screen videos?

More than anything, it's practice. At this point, paper is not your greatest challenge.

I will be doing some test prints soon and I will be using Epson paper I was given together with printer for that and for practicing :) And yes, I will be going through those videos :)

But in the meantime I would like to multitask / take advantage of time and select few papers I will be using later  8)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

I have not tested the new Ilford paper but Museo Silver Rag has the deepest black point of the other two papers according to my measurements.  It's a paper that I really like and regularly print on it.

howardm

Alan, what are your measured Dmax numbers (and what printer/inkset) ?

There was something in the feel of Silver Rag that really turned me off.  This was 4-5 years ago and maybe it was during their 'transition'
but my memory is 'this feels like that cheap piece of cardboard they use in dress shirt packaging'

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

I agree 100%. Your prints are not going to succeed or fail based on the paper, but based on your vision and skill. In fact, my recommendation is to settle on one good but inexpensive paper (such as Epson Premium Luster). This is not a paper you would print a show on, but it's more than adequate for honing your skills. Then make lots of prints. Get your calibration and soft-proofing right. Once you can reliably make prints you like, then you might start trying other papers.

HumptyDumpty

I have not tested the new Ilford paper but Museo Silver Rag has the deepest black point of the other two papers according to my measurements.  It's a paper that I really like and regularly print on it.

Thank you ! :D

HumptyDumpty

In fact, my recommendation is to settle on one good but inexpensive paper (such as Epson Premium Luster). This is not a paper you would print a show on, but it's more than adequate for honing your skills. Then make lots of prints. Get your calibration and soft-proofing right. Once you can reliably make prints you like, then you might start trying other papers.

That is exactly my plan and I am already working on that :) But I also like to multitask / take advantage of time / plan ahead  :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up