Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argyll communication problem with i1Pro  (Read 4852 times)

DaveRichardson

Argyll communication problem with i1Pro
« on: October 20, 2015, 07:40:02 pm »

I have up to now used an X-rite I1pro (first version RevD)  and i1 match to calibrate and profile my displays and printer.

I have today been trying to use Argyll v1.8.2 to calibrate and profile my monitors but when using dispcal the program goes so far through reading patches and then I get "sample read failed due to a communication error". This is not always at the same place/patch. So far I have not managed to get completely through the process.
I used the Argyll driver for the i1pro.

I have since run i1 diagnostics (v4), using the X-rite driver, and the i1 passes the tests and I then calibrated and profiled my 3 monitors using i1match v3.6.2.

I am using windows 7 pro and have the i1-pro plugged into a powered USB adapter ( I also tried various direct ports but get the same problem).

Any advice or help would be welcome

Dave

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
Re: Argyll communication problem with i1Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 06:18:25 am »

I have today been trying to use Argyll v1.8.2 to calibrate and profile my monitors but when using dispcal the program goes so far through reading patches and then I get "sample read failed due to a communication error". This is not always at the same place/patch. So far I have not managed to get completely through the process.

I am getting the same for many repetitive reads (spotread) with latest Argyll versions. Unplugging and plugging in isntrument makes it work again but I have not managed to establish the cause yet.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:00:36 am »

I am using windows 7 pro and have the i1-pro plugged into a powered USB adapter ( I also tried various direct ports but get the same problem).
Hmm. I've seen nothing like that myself, so it's a bit of a mystery that suddenly a few people are seeing this kind of problem. Nothing significant has changed in the ArgyllCMS i1pro driver for quite some time, so it's not clear what has changed. I'm currently investigating a similar sounding issue that's been reported on OS X 10.9.5, but I don't quite know what the problem is yet. Emailing me a -D8 debug log trace of a failure may help.

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:24 am »

Hmm. I've seen nothing like that myself, so it's a bit of a mystery that suddenly a few people are seeing this kind of problem. Nothing significant has changed in the ArgyllCMS i1pro driver for quite some time, so it's not clear what has changed. I'm currently investigating a similar sounding issue that's been reported on OS X 10.9.5, but I don't quite know what the problem is yet. Emailing me a -D8 debug log trace of a failure may help.

I had trouble making consistently reproducing it so never bothered reporting. Basically I used the spotread to repetitively read and print out spectral readings walking through the visible range on a monochromator with 5nm steps in high res mode. Somewhere around 35th reading it started giving me that. I pulled the instrument and reconnected, recalibrated and was fine again. I did a few runs and it was pretty much always failing at least once but at different points. Will try to set it up again and see if I can get to that with -D8 (probably early next week).

DaveRichardson

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »

Thanks for your replies.
I did not have to unplug the instrument to use it again - but the dispcal calibration run was aborted each time.

I will try again tonight and set the -D8 to log and will be happy to run any other tests that help locate the issue (which I accept may be on my own system).

Thanks again for your help

Dave

DaveRichardson

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:46:32 am »

Log file sent to Graeme. I have to say, even without resolution yet (and the problem may well be on my own system), the support here is fantastic. Raising a question on a forum and the developer getting in touch and requesting a log file is far and above that which I got from X-rite when I had some questions a couple of years ago.

Thanks

Dave

FabienP

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:32:18 pm »

I noticed the same problem with the very same device type (i1 Pro Rev. D).

The workaround was to revert to version 1.6.3 of ArgyllCMS which solved the problem under Windows 7 64bit. It does not seem to matter which version of DispCalGui is used. Any version between 2.6 and the current 3.0 will behave in the same way.

Cheers,

Fabien

DaveRichardson

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:23:50 pm »

Thanks Fabien.

Tonight I found a possible alternative workaround which seems to be working so far (I managed a complete calibration and profile on one monitor - not yet tried to complete all three).
My workaround was to plug the I1pro into a USB3.0 port (I had previously tried all USB2.0 ports knowing that i1match worked and the I1pro is a USB1 device). So far I have had no problems with Argyll and the I1pro losing connection in that USB3.0 port. I know the I1pro does not need USB3.0 but that the USB is handled differently.

Graeme - I am not sure if the above, along with the log I emailed to you, sheds any light on the problems experienced by myself and others on USB2.0.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 12:51:26 am »

I have up to now used an X-rite I1pro (first version RevD)  and i1 match to calibrate and profile my displays and printer.

I used the Argyll driver for the i1pro.

I have since run i1 diagnostics (v4), using the X-rite driver, and the i1 passes the tests and I then calibrated and profiled my 3 monitors using i1match v3.6.2.

Any advice or help would be welcome

Dave

I've had intermittent issues communication issues reading print patches with the same device. The frustrating part is that it can happen at any time and is generally an unrecoverable error. The only fix is to unplug/plug the unit but you have to start from scratch on reading patches as the session is lost. I cannot remember this happening in the older versions.

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:01:46 pm »

Dave Richardson sent me a trace, and it does indeed seem to be the same problem I've been tracking down from an Apple user. I'm planning to have an ArgyllCMS update available soon that will address this particular problem.

DaveRichardson

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 05:56:28 am »

Thanks Graeme.

I can confirm the tools you sent me to test worked and if you need any further testing please let me know (one of the joys of retirement is time  :) ).

As an aside, I came to Argyll CMS feeling quite daunted by the range of options and the command line (rather than GUI) interface. In reality using the guidance on the Argyll site and a couple of  brilliant guidance articles by Anders Torger I have found it easy to use, flexible, and the support here for this problem has been brilliant.

Dave

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
ArgyllCMS V1.8.3 has been released.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:45 am »

I'm pleased to announce the release of ArgyllCMS V1.8.3.

This should address the i1pro communication problems.

Please see the Changes Summary for more details.

DaveRichardson

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 06:05:24 am »

Thank you Graeme  :) .

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up