Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H5D-40  (Read 1778 times)

jvpictures

Hasselblad H5D-40
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:33:05 am »

Hello!
I am new to this forum and also relatively new to MF. After many years shooting Nikon Pro gear (last a D4s) I got a couple of months ago a H5D-40 with in a reasonable priced package and in the meantime I also got also some Hasselblad HC lenses (80mm, 28, 35-90). But, since the beginning I was never happy with the color tint on the LCD; it is way off and too warm (reddish-magenta color tint). Also recently I made a studio test with the H and also with the D4s and noticed that the white balance ways way off on the Hassy but not on the Nikon. Although I must admit that the color of the image itself after importing and whitebalancing in Phocus is good.

My dealer admits that the color is "a bit too warm" but this is not uncommon and since I am used to Nikon Pro gear (which shall be better in these respects) I were reacting exaggerated...

Maybe due to that I am not fully convinced if this was the right choice. Also, I am thinking already now and maybe due to that for upgrading to the CMOS version, but....

What shall I do? Is it worth to insist on calibration at the factory? Any recommendations from experienced H users?

I shoot mostly people (portraitures, fashion) and also landscapes.

Thanks for help!

Juerg

torger

Re: Hasselblad H5D-40
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:36:16 am »

I have no recommendations, but I can confirm that also on my H4D-50 the look on the LCD is way warmer than the actual look when imported in a raw converter, so I guess it's "by design" that is I doubt this is an aspect that can be calibrated.

Personally I'm not disturbed by that though (as a landscape photographer I always have the WB set to daylight and do possible adjustments in post anyway) so I haven't given it much thought.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:25:31 am »

I know a photographer who faced the same issue. He "fixed" it by replacing the regular LCD screen protector with an appropriate Kodak Wratten gel filter. An analog fix for a digital problem :)

Kumar

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 12:46:46 am »

I shoot with an H4D-40 and also shoot with Canon 5DMkIII and many Canon models before that. I have also shot with Phase One, Leica S, Leaf, Fuji X and even the Mamiya ZD. I really have never paid much attention to color or much of anything else on the screen but maybe composition.  And a good majority of my shoots are in very bright direct sunlight. So I can't see any of the screens anyway. Basically I am more than happy with the Hasselblad display and just trust in knowing what my photos really will look like when I bring them into Phocus. All other files I use Capture One. Maybe my experience comes from shooting film for many years.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

greg06

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:07:39 am »

Hello, if your bald is still under guarantee sand it back to Sweden to calibrate it. I've got H5D-40 too and the colour rendering is excellent (Hasselblad is known from that).The truth is that the LCD screens are not the best, but it's enough to check the picture.

Josef Isayo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:48:14 pm »

Hasselblad cameras are not known for their LCD quality, thats for sure. What they do have going for them, in my opinion, is the best skin tones in the industry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up